R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Ryan Lutz quitq Durango (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/845191-ryan-lutz-quitq-durango.html)

speedy2 11-07-2014 01:21 PM

Jörn Neumann, amezcusa and Gerd Strenge away too..
makes you wonder, who is left to make any good cars at durango
and if the buggy will come and be developed at all ?.. suicide

DRCRacer299 11-07-2014 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by speedy2 (Post 13644219)
Jörn Neumann, amezcusa and Gerd Strenge away too..
makes you wonder, who is left to make any good cars at durango
and if the buggy will come and be developed at all ?.. suicide

Who said Travis is leaving???

TRF415boy 11-07-2014 01:45 PM

And who said there isn't anyone to design cars?

Drivers and designers - not the same thing.

Designers make cars, drivers drive.

DRCRacer299 11-07-2014 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by TRF415boy (Post 13644264)
And who said there isn't anyone to design cars?

Drivers and designers - not the same thing.

Designers make cars, drivers drive.

*Some Drivers do more than drive...

CoryD 11-07-2014 02:31 PM

Will Nitro Challenge be your first big race with the Tekno Ryan?

TRF415boy 11-07-2014 02:32 PM

It's true, you're a great ambassador to the sport. A great guy on and off the track.

But my comment was about designing a car.

There is no need for a pro driver in a team to design a fast car. It can be a plus but that also depends on the driver's feedback.

Proof of this is Tekno. They didn't have a pro driver yet you have just stated that the cars are fast.

There is no reason why Tekno would be a lone case, wouldn't you agree?

In fact there are many other examples in the industry.

The order is first a designer makes a good car, then a driver shows how good it is. Not the other way round.

Good luck in your new endeavours anyway, I hope it goes well for you.

JsK 11-07-2014 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by TRF415boy (Post 13644347)
It's true, you're a great ambassador to the sport. A great guy on and off the track.

But my comment was about designing a car.

There is no need for a pro driver in a team to design a fast car. It can be a plus but that also depends on the driver's feedback.

Proof of this is Tekno. They didn't have a pro driver yet you have just stated that the cars are fast.

There is no reason why Tekno would be a lone case, wouldn't you agree?

In fact there are many other examples in the industry.

The order is first a designer makes a good car, then a driver shows how good it is. Not the other way round.

Good luck in your new endeavours anyway, I hope it goes well for you.

Actually there are several fast drivers that tekno used for feedback when they designed the car, ryan and his expertise is simply the next logical step in that evolution. He brings a wealth of experience and knowledge that will be invaluable to the team. The d812 is what it is today because of Ty's imput. The RC8 prototype failed because the Ryan's and Alton hated other.

Torrance once said in a post he has to have driver feedback to effectively design.

Silo 11-07-2014 04:08 PM

It's called R&D not D&R...

No one can research better than a skilled racer able to push the car to it's limits and find it's weak-points.

1evo RRR Driver 11-07-2014 04:53 PM

Goodluck Ryan ............ Do TEKNO proud! Can't wait to see you rippin up a track with the new ride n the support you deserve! (Dueces)

madweazl 11-07-2014 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by DRCRacer299 (Post 13644275)
*Some Drivers do more than drive...

Big understatement! Cant wait to see you and Tekno blossom into a dominate force in the industry.

Ssilverfz1 11-08-2014 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Silo (Post 13644488)
It's called R&D not D&R...

No one can research better than a skilled racer able to push the car to it's limits and find it's weak-points.

But the majority of us will never ever be able to push a car as fast as Lutz, Maifield, Phend, Cav, Hartson, Tessman, Drake..........Hell there are some fast guys at my local club that I could never dream of touching and they don't get paid to race.

With some proper research there are a lot of "FAST GUYS" at local clubs around the country and world I am sure that could provide feedback for what is already a solid platform, thanks to the solid base of the Durango as it sits.

And guess what..........a lot of them would be willing to do it for some free product and cool "i am sponsored t-shirts". I would also be willing to wager that they would sell more product at that track as well, if they get the right guys. Look how well Tekno has done without buying "the major named driver" and now they are ready to take that next step.

I still have a DEX210, love it problem is no product support in my local area. I got tired of having to always have every part with me in case I broke. There wasn't even anybody else at the track to bum a part from if I broke, nobody else ran them. They all ran associated and a Losi or two. The track store didn't carry parts, nobody raced them.

For whatever reason the Durango never really seemed to get a foot hold in America and I would say it was due to a lack of club racers. When Hobbico acquired Durango in 2012, how many local drivers at your track had even a minor sponsorship from Durango? They tried the RTR give away but that didn't work.

Ryan Lutz as great of a guy as he is, couldn't drive sales for an entire country and especially in 10th scale. Durango's pros were successful and winning, but people at the club level weren't even seeing the cars. I would agree that if Hobbico/Durango don't start an aggressive club level sponsorship (even just 50% deals, would save a lot of guys money) they won't be around the race scene long.

Yes I can be long winded, sorry!

Jaz240 11-08-2014 08:03 AM

Allot of people bought Durango's. 1/10 and 1/8 scale. The problem was that Ryan was the only person who really did well with the 1/8 stuff and the 1/10 had no parts support even from Hobbico. They killed the brand themselves. Maybe they can turn things around but if they continue to have parts out of stock for 4 months it won't matter if they give everything away for free, nobody will race them.

AHR43 11-08-2014 10:02 AM

Best way I know of to scatter a group of club racers is to begin sprinkling sponsorship(s) in among them. Sponsorship and club racing are mutually exclusive. Keep club racing free of sponsorship entanglements and commitments.

It is to Durango's credit they have chosen to focus on club racing support. That rings true. But do it by offering a competitive product at a reasonable price. Back it up with an aggressive parts program. Keep sponsorship in any form out of it.

Ssilverfz1 11-08-2014 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by AHR43 (Post 13645522)
Best way I know of to scatter a group of club racers is to begin sprinkling sponsorship(s) in among them. Sponsorship and club racing are mutually exclusive. Keep club racing free of sponsorship entanglements and commitments.

It is to Durango's credit they have chosen to focus on club racing support. That rings true. But do it by offering a competitive product at a reasonable price. Back it up with an aggressive parts program. Keep sponsorship in any form out of it.

Problem is.....every fast guy at the track wants to be the next Lutz. I don't see how any brand can have a large following without some sponsorship program. That's just my take of course.

AHR43 11-08-2014 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ssilverfz1 (Post 13645576)
Problem is.....every fast guy at the track wants to be the next Lutz. I don't see how any brand can have a large following without some sponsorship program. That's just my take of course.

Well put. Agree completely. And all those local fast guys will rise to the level they can compete at. As they should. Recognize their talents with sponsorship at the regional and national level, not at the club level. Therein lies the dilemma for a manufacturer such as Durango. How to successfully promote their car at the club/local level without alienating the not-so-fast drivers at the expense of promoting the fast few. Be interesting to watch how this marketing strategy plays out.

evolution03 11-09-2014 07:22 AM

I don't see how it will alienate the slower drivers at club level. I've seen at several tracks where whatever the fast guys are running the slower guys buy. If they sponsor the right faster guys around the country at club level they will sell more kits.

Jaz240 11-09-2014 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by evolution03 (Post 13646852)
I don't see how it will alienate the slower drivers at club level. I've seen at several tracks where whatever the fast guys are running the slower guys buy. If they sponsor the right faster guys around the country at club level they will sell more kits.

A main has been trying that with the S workz brand. So far I don't think its working out very well because the cars don't look good in the hands of anyone including Hara himself so more people are turning away. If your going to put your vehicle in a bunch of club racers hands and expect them to sell the brand you better be sure you have a good product that is fast

speedy2 11-09-2014 11:07 AM

..till Hara next time, or some nobody with a Sworkz wins in front of everybody
you can drive good with any car, if you drive long enough with it
it is not because Tessman wins now, the d812 is going to be ok for my driving
in fact that car is almost 3 years old, and now interest is only growing,certainly in europe

Jaz240 11-09-2014 11:41 AM

The biggest difference that I see though is that the D812 has been a capable buggy from day 1 and I'm just not seeing the same thing from the 350. We had a few locals get that S workz sponsorship from A main who was trying the same approach as Durango is now and all of them dumped the buggies for the exact same reasons; car did not drive well and severe shortage of parts.

speedy2 11-09-2014 01:50 PM

I did hear some people who had problems with this and that, or getting the rear stable too, and getting parts..
same for the Sworkz, but in his present form certainly, it's one of the best cars around mecanicaly
I really like the new Durango, the bulkheads opening up is great feature, and the looks are racy
and in all the car seems to be designed logicaly

Jaz240 11-09-2014 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by speedy2 (Post 13647447)
I did hear some people who had problems with this and that, or getting the rear stable too, and getting parts..
same for the Sworkz, but in his present form certainly, it's one of the best cars around

I'm not sure where you are Gigi. Maybe the buggy is much better on Euro style tracks. On MX style US tracks I have not seen one look good yet. The Truggy however looks very promising. I think with Durango it will come down to how well their new 1/8 cars perform. If they are fast people will buy them regardless as long as parts support improves. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Eivind E 11-09-2014 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 13647500)
Maybe the buggy is much better on Euro style tracks.

Negative, the Sworkz doesn't work here either.
IMHO the Sworkz likes short, twisty, bumpy tracks.

Ssilverfz1 11-09-2014 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by AHR43 (Post 13645752)
Well put. Agree completely. And all those local fast guys will rise to the level they can compete at. As they should. Recognize their talents with sponsorship at the regional and national level, not at the club level. Therein lies the dilemma for a manufacturer such as Durango. How to successfully promote their car at the club/local level without alienating the not-so-fast drivers at the expense of promoting the fast few. Be interesting to watch how this marketing strategy plays out.

You do have to pick the right guys. Ryan Lutz is the perfect role model for somebody wanting to get sponsored. He promotes his sponsors products but he helps everybody. From what I see at the club level is when guys get the deals and the cool shirts they all start running in their own clique and don't have time for others. Sponsored drivers need to understand that at the club level it's about promoting the hobby and having fun. It seems like every single club race has the intensity of a national. Yelling at newbies who can't get out of the way and wanting to separate the classes.

The companies could further this by not making every single sponsorship about the fastest guy. Pick some club guys give them a little discount and don't require them to travel. Anyway one can always hope......most of these people need to understand they aren't going to get paid to race. I would like to win every time out but at 48 years old I am trying to get better all the time.....AND HAVE FUN!

speedy2 11-10-2014 12:19 AM

Wonder if this plan of Durango is menth to work for drivers in europe too, or rather the USA

Pulse_ 11-10-2014 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Eivind E (Post 13647528)
Negative, the Sworkz doesn't work here either.
IMHO the Sworkz likes short, twisty, bumpy tracks.

these are the type of tracks we have locally and the Sworkz Evo is awesome, I prefer it over my TKI3 in these conditions

BillyT. 11-10-2014 10:15 AM

Is this an SWorkz sponsored driver?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFVI...ature=youtu.be

Or just some rando?

Because nothing about this looks good to me.

moto775 11-10-2014 08:36 PM

Awesome news that Ryan Lutz is moving to Tekno, IMO.

I haven't really noticed, until this point, the business model, market approach that Tekno took. Some of the recent news/threads about this have just made me think about this. And, can't argue - it is working.

From my perspective, they already have nailed down a pretty good club-racing scene reputation. I'm not an expert, I don't know what they did, it but they got Tekno to catch on at local club tracks across the nation. My assumption, at this point, is that they used their know-how to engineer durable, race worthy cars in all the 1/8 classes. To me, they seemed to be more prioritized on the club racer (not thinking every kit owner is going to have the skills of a world class driver, and more or less building a competitive car for the average Joe club racer, with serious potential). It also makes me think that new brands are running out trying to hire an internationally renowned driver, just to put them on the map - turns out this may not be the way to go.

Tekno also seems to put some thought and reason behind their moves before doing something that is industry typical. It seems to me right now sometimes we get over-sensationalized by option parts and the latest trick setup stuff (I'm not hating - I get the option part bug just as bad as anyone else). I think as club racers, if we would spend more time focusing on proper setup, maintenance, and focus on driving. But that is just my opinion. I've only been in this hobby for 3 years, and always listen to all other's input.

Ryan Lutz racing for Tekno is just icing on the cake (how many other pro's run their own website and have their own line of engines? Just sayin)!

Tekno and Ryan Lutz seems like a great combination! They both have my support.

Got it. Hiring a top level driver and blasting it all over the web only helps so much (I'm talking to you Kyosho! Agama! Sworkz!)

Garzi 11-10-2014 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by BillyT. (Post 13649183)

Or just some rando?

Hi Billy,

as you enjoy watching my RC videos, do not hesitate to continue watching them, as this:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Maybe it helps to improve your RC skills or not, but you will be a better guy and will leave to write nonsense posts on this great forum.

Best Regards,

Alberto Garcia

BillyT. 11-11-2014 05:10 AM

Nope... Not Billy Fischer.

Looks better here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SlA8k8Epbs

JCG 11-11-2014 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by BillyT. (Post 13650938)
Nope... Not Billy Fischer.

Looks better here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SlA8k8Epbs

Oh don't backpeddle now...little bear. You earned this interview.
Btw.. Billy what size are you?
Thought about having you wear this for me at the next race:

https://www.victoriassecret.com/slee...alogueType=OLS

Want my ladies looking good...and keep your head down.

BillyT. 11-11-2014 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by JCG (Post 13651082)
Oh don't backpeddle now...little bear. You earned this interview.
Btw.. Billy what size are you?
Thought about having you wear this for me at the next race:

https://www.victoriassecret.com/slee...alogueType=OLS

Want my ladies looking good...and keep your head down.

(quoted for the sake of posterity)

ha ha...

come on fellas...

wow.

And not back peddling... car still doesn't look good in first vid.

Crazy that you guys are this tore up about it.

wingracer 11-11-2014 06:41 AM

That track was so dry-slick I doubt any car would look good on it.

BillyT. 11-11-2014 06:53 AM

It just never settles down, and doesn't look good in the air...

If one doesn't want to see or hear opinions one doesn't like about the things one does... one might think a little harder before posting them on the internet.

ctsvls2 11-11-2014 07:31 AM

I sure wish I had some popcorn for this conversation.........:nod:

Ssilverfz1 11-11-2014 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by BillyT. (Post 13649183)

Or just some rando?

was your opinion about the car or the driver, hard to tell? Sure seemed to a nimrod like myself that it was basically about the driver.

How appropriate that this is on the Ryan Lutz thread, after hearing all the stories about how he helps people at the track who don't even run his or his sponsors equipment. How he carries himself as a professional and how he just loves the hobby and tries to help people enjoy it.

BillyT. 11-11-2014 07:36 AM

Save the popcorn for the silly season thread... JQ just put Lutz on blast... :smile:

BillyT. 11-11-2014 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ssilverfz1 (Post 13651195)
was your opinion about the car or the driver, hard to tell? Sure seemed to a nimrod like myself that it was basically about the driver.

I guess if it was in any way about the individual, it could be related to setup... I mean, the lines didn't look bad, he was on the pipe, car wasn't really loose... but it was bouncing all over the place and jumping nose up, floating... (the double in the center that pitched it over is the fault of the face, not the car or driver).

I guess from here on out I will only give positive opinions about things for fear of getting anyone wrinkled up.

But there was a whole page before this of people saying the Sworkz car doesn't look good... not sure why I am the martyr for that opinion. Guess cause it's at the top of a new page. cool...

Honestly, I'm not sorry for saying what I did, but I am *way* over getting in internet arguments over nothing... so....

http://i8.glitter-graphics.org/pub/1...paeedw13ac.gif

MX304 11-11-2014 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by moto775 (Post 13650532)
Awesome news that Ryan Lutz is moving to Tekno, IMO.

I haven't really noticed, until this point, the business model, market approach that Tekno took. Some of the recent news/threads about this have just made me think about this. And, can't argue - it is working.

From my perspective, they already have nailed down a pretty good club-racing scene reputation. I'm not an expert, I don't know what they did, it but they got Tekno to catch on at local club tracks across the nation. My assumption, at this point, is that they used their know-how to engineer durable, race worthy cars in all the 1/8 classes. To me, they seemed to be more prioritized on the club racer (not thinking every kit owner is going to have the skills of a world class driver, and more or less building a competitive car for the average Joe club racer, with serious potential). It also makes me think that new brands are running out trying to hire an internationally renowned driver, just to put them on the map - turns out this may not be the way to go.

Tekno also seems to put some thought and reason behind their moves before doing something that is industry typical. It seems to me right now sometimes we get over-sensationalized by option parts and the latest trick setup stuff (I'm not hating - I get the option part bug just as bad as anyone else). I think as club racers, if we would spend more time focusing on proper setup, maintenance, and focus on driving. But that is just my opinion. I've only been in this hobby for 3 years, and always listen to all other's input.

Ryan Lutz racing for Tekno is just icing on the cake (how many other pro's run their own website and have their own line of engines? Just sayin)!

Tekno and Ryan Lutz seems like a great combination! They both have my support.

Got it. Hiring a top level driver and blasting it all over the web only helps so much (I'm talking to you Kyosho! Agama! Sworkz!)

Completely agree. I think it came down to a few things that Tekno really did right. One was being on here constantly answering questions and giving backgoround on the how's and whys of the car design before it was released. Then the awesome support they gave when there were some small issues with the car upon its release. They really made the car durable for the average driver as well. Not just relating to breakage, but wear items as well. I am not one to be an early adopter of new designs, but with Tekno's background, and the info given here made me really want to try the car right away.

UrabusDenis 11-11-2014 08:37 AM

Great to hear such news about a character as positive as Lutz is. It's nice to see so many people like him and his approach to the pro-driver profession, some may say "the people's pro" :D Good luck Ryan :)