Search

Someone who's raced multiple brands of buggy motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Here's some engines i've run:

Novarossi - Good engines in overall, but I get boried of them
Sirio - Great engines, easy to tune but lat of power and fuel comsuption is not the best.
Orion - They give so much trouble that have to tell they are crap.
Reedy - Don't like it because I broke a conrod with lees than 1,5 gallons of use.
Picco - Awesome engines, great power on all ranges. Different tune way than most engines but very reliable when so.
Reds - The best engines I've race, similar to Picco on tuning, but awesome fuel consuption and smooth power delivery. The best is the R5 TE2

Manuel
Old 10-23-2014, 04:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Best bang for buck is no doubt a Nova P5XLT! DO NOT run the bottom end to fat on any engine during breakin! And novas especially the P5 prefer a leaner than normal bottom end. Also check out Monty Houston and the FusionX line of engines!
2096/41021 pipe set
Old 10-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by donbeatya
Best bang for buck is no doubt a Nova P5XLT! DO NOT run the bottom end to fat on any engine during breakin! And novas especially the P5 prefer a leaner than normal bottom end. Also check out Monty Houston and the FusionX line of engines!
2096/41021 pipe set
Even tho I don't like novas I will admit the only nova I would risk getting is a p5 xlt. It's a badass engine nothing like the rest of novas that tune difficultly. That being said I still hate nova plugs.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

With almost 20 years of racing nitro buggy and having tried many brands I would say, if you have the money buy an OS Speed. Great running, easy to tune and very long lasting engines. With the DLC coating on the crank, with some maintenance (bearings, rod and sleeve resizing) you could get multiple seasons out of the Speed engines. Multiple seasons with one less thing to worry about
Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

While we are on the subject of engines!! Has anyone tried the Lutz Worlds .21 engine..I havent seen or heard anything about it...
Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by allen71457
While we are on the subject of engines!! Has anyone tried the Lutz Worlds .21 engine..I havent seen or heard anything about it...
I have.

Comes with the best customer service imaginable when ordered through lutzrc.com

The Worlds edition has a very smooth bottom end and can compete with any engine out there down the straight-away at the highest level. I used it to get 3rd at ROAR Nationals (Engine has 7 + gallons on it at that time). Qualified 4th into A-main at IFMAR Worlds (Engine had 3+ gallons at that time). It's extremely durable now and I have lots of very happy customers. Plus I run them stock out of the package, I've never felt the need to mod them.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default Engines

Ive ran alot of engines and i always go back to a nova .Every nova ive had i have managed to get between 8-10 gallons.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default well

For a newer nitro racer I would either get a P5 or FX. They both are very reliable and have excellent bottom end power and that helps not only newer racers but experienced racers clear tough jumps. One the p5 I like to put a ceramic rear bearing in it because the newer rear nova bearings are not that great, but the front bearing is really good in the last year. P5 is always a good choice.

The Fx may be a little too stron on bottom but it makes up for it with rock solid idle and just won't flameout in my experience. I did a pit once with an FX and it was a bit of an overfill and got humid and ran a little fat after it warmed up. It gurgled and I swear it died taking off and it just kept going to finish the race. It was awesome. Point is you could dial it down on the top end and still stay running.

They both have excellent compression and just seem to last a bit longer than so many others do. That is always good.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:24 AM
psr
Tech Regular

You will need an engine that will perform no matter what..

I would highly recomend any os based donk they may not have the best milage but they will run better than most with bad set ups tune.

since you are geting back in to the sport you need less head dramas as possible.

Is always sujest os in this case a little more expensive a little more thirsty but pretty much the easyist engine to tune.