Like Tree89Likes

Mugen MBX7R

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-11-2017, 02:45 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MBX7R
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: E1 Diablo

Old 07-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rotor head33 View Post
Sooooo Adam drake says there won't be an mbx8 anytime soon?!?!?! I was reading his interview with inside line yesterday.

http://www.insidelinerc.com/off-road...ntenance-more/
I wouldn't read too much into that, as a few people have already said. In truth, Mugen has become the safe 'go-to' car but big wins have been wanting so far this year. No wins and no podium finishes at the DNC, Silver State, NEO 16, ROAR nats or the Euros. If anything, I think Mugen really needs a game-changer to bring it back into the winner's circle.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

This is true. And it concerns me. They have been doing fine in Europe so it seems. I'm wondering what could possibly be in store for an already great platform...
Old 07-16-2016, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I dont think there is anything wrong with the car or their drivers really, its just that the other brands have drivers who are steamrolling people this year. Maifield, cav, rivken, kind of tessman, have all been so quick lately unless cav runs out of fuel again they always seems to be the drivers at podium pace. Kyosho is having the same problem, Cody king is a great driver but lately he just hasnt been in front pack, at least not often. Will be interesting to see how the worlds go
Old 07-16-2016, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america View Post
I wouldn't read too much into that, as a few people have already said. In truth, Mugen has become the safe 'go-to' car but big wins have been wanting so far this year. No wins and no podium finishes at the DNC, Silver State, NEO 16, ROAR nats or the Euros. If anything, I think Mugen really needs a game-changer to bring it back into the winner's circle.
Mugens philosophy is"we dont need to win races to sell kits" "our kits speak for their selves"... This is very true,they dont have to prove anything to the average racer. Everyone knows its one of the best.

Losi diffs makes the car more free, i only run the center diff. Never weighed the 2 together.... I honestly wouldnt waist my money on buying losi diffs.. Thats an expensive upgrade. I only did because mine was givin to me... Im not even sure if all 3 diffs fit
Old 07-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Gavel View Post
I dont think there is anything wrong with the car or their drivers really, its just that the other brands have drivers who are steamrolling people this year. Maifield, cav, rivken, kind of tessman, have all been so quick lately unless cav runs out of fuel again they always seems to be the drivers at podium pace. Kyosho is having the same problem, Cody king is a great driver but lately he just hasnt been in front pack, at least not often. Will be interesting to see how the worlds go
Yep!
Old 07-16-2016, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

This is very true. I think maifield could dominate with a rtr car lol and rivkin has his car on point. Time o wait and see what happens
Old 07-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
Mugens philosophy is"we dont need to win races to sell kits" "our kits speak for their selves"... This is very true,they dont have to prove anything to the average racer. Everyone knows its one of the best.
If that were true why bother sponsoring drivers, or for that matter having a racing program at all? If Mugen (and a host of other companies) invest so much time and effort testing and spending money on racing every year, it's because they know that what wins on Sunday, sells on Monday. The fact that the average club driver cannot extract the maximum potential from the car is materially irrelevant from a marketing perspective. Victories bolster public image, which in turn, bolsters sales.

If you want to see what cutting-down on a brand's racing program does, just look at Dingo (Durango): 2010-2014 they had a credible race program with talented drivers. Then they decide that they will replace their top drivers with "consultants", and where is their buggy now? Being sold at liquidation prices barely a year after it was released.

The DNX8 actually drives very well , and has features that are superior to the MBX7R in some respects, but the stores practically have to give it away because it gets hardly any exposure or big race wins.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Mugen has a million sponsored drivers, buy how many of them actually get paid or are even 100%??? Sponsored drivers help them sell kits.. Most of these team could care less about the little guys, which sucks...don't get me wrong, they wanna win like anyone else, but mugen will still sell on Monday without winning on Sunday, same with Kyosho. They have nothing to prove..people who don't follow racing like we do, always know about Kyosho/mugen. When their kits come out, they are done right without many revisions... When the x7 first came out, the only issue was the top plate was breaking.. Quality
Old 07-16-2016, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
Mugen has a million sponsored drivers, buy how many of them actually get paid or are even 100%??? Sponsored drivers help them sell kits.. Most of these team could care less about the little guys, which sucks...don't get me wrong, they wanna win like anyone else, but mugen will still sell on Monday without winning on Sunday, same with Kyosho. They have nothing to prove..people who don't follow racing like we do, always know about Kyosho/mugen. When their kits come out, they are done right without many revisions... When the x7 first came out, the only issue was the top plate was breaking.. Quality
If marketeting didnt work noone would do it. You dont see tv adds for these cars because the racing team is their advertisement. And i believe whatever brand wins the world will sell out everywhere the following week, unless its a kyosho because most people need 2 weeks wages to afford one of those so sold out in a fortnight
Old 07-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

BY having a large team of entry level sponsored drivers, Mugen has secured a large group of racers who will buy products from the mugenracing.com website; therefore, securing a large share of the market. If they did not offer entry level sponsorships, some of the drivers may seek out sponsorships from other companies. As far as their top Team drivers, there is no argument that Adam Drake is one of the smartest, hardest working drivers in the sport. He is an Icon and a great ambassador for us. However, I mean no disrespect, but I can't help but feel that his time to run at the front consistently is behind him. He is still fast, and very good for the team! Same with Truhe. In the US, Cole Ogden can be super fast and it wont be long before he makes his way to a podium spot at a large race. Remember, he came to Mugen this season after driving Losi for the majority of his career. My point is, the lower level sponsored drivers, most doing well in their local area, help a bunch with keeping the Mugen near the top of the list of cars to own. My 2 cents.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly View Post
I would be shocked if there wasn't a new kit coming. Especially since he said he was running TLR diffs till the new car comes out. Mugen always makes a great product.
Are they direct drop in's? What's wrong with Mugen diff's? The AE guys seem to like them��
Old 07-17-2016, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

The losi centre diff is lighter i think, wouldnt be suprised if the other 2 are as well, and that seems one of mugens biggest problems, rotating mass. Local guy went under drive front and rear for the sole reason he gets an 40 seconds run time from it. That shouldnt happen.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Nothing to improve in MBX7R? I don't have one, but looking at pics/other guys' cars i see several points:
- New tank with updated "externals" - overflow gathering system right into track surface (really have no idea how it called correctly)
- All 6 UNIs in box
- Reversed (like Tekno) / dustproof (like Kyosho) servosaver
- Maybe fast diff access system like RC8B3?
Old 07-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Having a large pool of "low level sponsored drivers" is a great place to test and learn things . These guys are arguably better than the average guy on the stand . As such they can test ideas and parts that are aimed at performance and not just reliability. I personally believe this pool of drivers is what leads good manufactures to pay attention to the details. Mugen has paid pretty good attention to details , so has Kyosho . Having a bunch of guys running your product day in and day out is going to generate some feedback both good and bad. If the communication channel is open , the feedback gets where it needs to go , and the product gets better. When you have owned a lot of these cars , its interesting what little things (attention to details )makes you like one car versus another .
Old 07-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jkas10 View Post
BY having a large team of entry level sponsored drivers, Mugen has secured a large group of racers who will buy products from the mugenracing.com website; therefore, securing a large share of the market. If they did not offer entry level sponsorships, some of the drivers may seek out sponsorships from other companies. As far as their top Team drivers, there is no argument that Adam Drake is one of the smartest, hardest working drivers in the sport. He is an Icon and a great ambassador for us. However, I mean no disrespect, but I can't help but feel that his time to run at the front consistently is behind him. He is still fast, and very good for the team! Same with Truhe. In the US, Cole Ogden can be super fast and it wont be long before he makes his way to a podium spot at a large race. Remember, he came to Mugen this season after driving Losi for the majority of his career. My point is, the lower level sponsored drivers, most doing well in their local area, help a bunch with keeping the Mugen near the top of the list of cars to own. My 2 cents.
Yea for sure, adam wasnt hired to be a winner in the big races,but he is still a huge threat, he brings with him a huge following of racers... Look what he is doing for mugen right now.. He will be a threat at making the main for sure at the worlds....like he said" im not the fastest but im the most prepaired".. And he is... Hate how tlr did him

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service