Like Tree100Likes

Mugen MBX7R

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-11-2017, 02:45 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MBX7R
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: E1 Diablo

Old 06-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by o.s. power
If you want to free up the shocks, try using a 10x12mm shim, TDRTD310034, this is what I use. Put it on the body before threading on the lower cap. This helps a ton to free up the shocks. I have been doing this since the MBX6, I believe Chad Bradley posted this in the MBX6 thread years ago.
Andrew,

How does that shim free up the shocks? Does the extra clearance help free up the shocks or does it help with rebound? I'm just trying to figure out what it does.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The shim doesn't allow the lower cap to compress the o-rings as much thus allowing the shock shaft to move easier up and down.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:42 PM
Tech Regular

Old 06-23-2015, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

This is an other mod which makes them really smooth:
https://scrubbingspeed.wordpress.com...ocks-losi-mod/
Old 06-24-2015, 02:27 AM
Tech Adept

Does anyone already tried the carbon shock towers ?
Is there an advantage ?
Old 06-24-2015, 03:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ddick
Does anyone already tried the carbon shock towers ?
Is there an advantage ?
i have one with all the carbon parts and one with the stock towers and m2c top plate,and no i cant tell if the towers have any difference in performance.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by statton iv
i have one with all the carbon parts and one with the stock towers and m2c top plate,and no i cant tell if the towers have any difference in performance.
Thank you
Old 06-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ddick
Thank you
Adam Drake just posted a good video on the difference between the two. Made me think I should try them for they fit the track conditions I run on.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi evryone, I was looking into this kit, and I was wondering if anyone that has owned or driven both this and the TLR 3.0 could help share some insight. I was wondering how the two compare with regards to handling and steering. With the losi, I sometimes struggle in rough track situations or when I really have to push the kit. I dont always have that "comfort" and really need to stay on my toes. How does the Mugen compare with stability and ease to drive? The losi is a little bit more nimble car that forces me to drive more precisely and conservatively at times so I'm looking for something that is more stable and forgiving. Another concern is how much steering the kit can offer. Do you guys find it being easier to rotate the car using the brake, or having it rotate on or off power? I would like something that is able to rotate rather quickly as well. Thanks in advance for the help and opinions!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pitstop TQ
Hi evryone, I was looking into this kit, and I was wondering if anyone that has owned or driven both this and the TLR 3.0 could help share some insight. I was wondering how the two compare with regards to handling and steering. With the losi, I sometimes struggle in rough track situations or when I really have to push the kit. I dont always have that "comfort" and really need to stay on my toes. How does the Mugen compare with stability and ease to drive? The losi is a little bit more nimble car that forces me to drive more precisely and conservatively at times so I'm looking for something that is more stable and forgiving. Another concern is how much steering the kit can offer. Do you guys find it being easier to rotate the car using the brake, or having it rotate on or off power? I would like something that is able to rotate rather quickly as well. Thanks in advance for the help and opinions!
So you are asking for a car that has tons of steering and is also stable? I think you will find you have to pick one or the other. The Mugen has a lot of steering but that can make it a handful at times. You can play with setup and dial some steering out though.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

I had the losi and found it to be very twitchy but flat out accelerates . The mugen for me became more stable the harder I pushed it . I think the car rotates fairly well but I run on a very large track . I have added rear brake the last time I went to a track with narrow lanes and 180 turns just to help hug the turn and stay up against the pipe. The mugen suits me and takes quite the beating .
Old 06-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fgnewbie
I had the losi and found it to be very twitchy but flat out accelerates . The mugen for me became more stable the harder I pushed it . I think the car rotates fairly well but I run on a very large track . I have added rear brake the last time I went to a track with narrow lanes and 180 turns just to help hug the turn and stay up against the pipe. The mugen suits me and takes quite the beating .
Thanks for the response. So overall with steering you would say the mugen has maybe slightly less than the losi? But its good to hear that the car is stable and can be pushed. I also sometimes find it necessary to add more rear break in the losi, which definitely helps it rotate.

Originally Posted by windellmc
So you are asking for a car that has tons of steering and is also stable? I think you will find you have to pick one or the other. The Mugen has a lot of steering but that can make it a handful at times. You can play with setup and dial some steering out though.
You seem to have a contrasting opinion with @fgnewbie. So you would say the mugen has a ton of steering but isn't as stable? I know I cant absolutely get both characteristics but It seems like hopefully the Mugen can provide a happy medium. Thanks for the response.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I own both cars and only run the 7R. The 3.0 is a great car but if you drive aggressive, it may not be the car for you. The 3.0, I feel, responds better to a driver that is smooth with inputs. The 7R is easier to drive for more people because it is locked down, those who pick the car up feel comfortable with it immediately, I know I did.

If you have gotten to a performance plateau with the 3.0 (I did), you might want to look into another car. That's nothing bad about the losi, everyone will get to a plateau with any car, it's just a matter of finding a car that will take you to the next level, something that suits your driving style.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by o.s. power
I own both cars and only run the 7R. The 3.0 is a great car but if you drive aggressive, it may not be the car for you. The 3.0, I feel, responds better to a driver that is smooth with inputs. The 7R is easier to drive for more people because it is locked down, those who pick the car up feel comfortable with it immediately, I know I did.

If you have gotten to a performance plateau with the 3.0 (I did), you might want to look into another car. That's nothing bad about the losi, everyone will get to a plateau with any car, it's just a matter of finding a car that will take you to the next level, something that suits your driving style.
+1. I like the Losi and it is FAST if you are always smooth and consistent. When I quickly got comfortable with the car and then tried to push it, it bit back as it does not like to be pushed beyond a certain limit. It's like it has a performance cliff and it just drops off. Of course, this is with me, a slightly above average racer.

The Mugen is a car that has a good mix of steering and a feeling of stability. It seems like the more you push it, the more it likes it and responds in kind. Yes, I have a few hop ups to get to where I feel completely comfortable the car, but that is all platforms nowadays. However, this car is tough as nails (just came from Kyosho) and does not need everything replaced after a couple of races.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the response. So overall with steering you would say the mugen has maybe slightly less than the losi? But its good to hear that the car is stable and can be pushed. I also sometimes find it necessary to add more rear break in the losi, which definitely helps it rotate.

You seem to have a contrasting opinion with @fgnewbie. So you would say the mugen has a ton of steering but isn't as stable? I know I cant absolutely get both characteristics but It seems like hopefully the Mugen can provide a happy medium. Thanks for the response.
I dont know if i would call it less or just different . Hard to describe for me really, ya know we all drive different and at many different levels but for me the biggest difference is the amount of corner speed i carry with the mugen over the losi . I am an aggressive drive and not the smoothest so thats why i think the losi didnt fit the best .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.