Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
sticky pivot balls >

sticky pivot balls

sticky pivot balls

Old 10-20-2014, 06:01 AM
Tech Adept

Default sticky pivot balls

Im having an issue with the pivot balls in my caster buggy. They are kinda sticky and its making the steering shudder and just doesnt seem right. Are the balls supposed to have some kind of coating on them? I have the nuts tight so there is no play but notso tight that they bind. Im not sure what the issue is....i put a bit of oil in there but its not really helping anymore. What to do?
Old 10-20-2014, 06:11 AM
Tech Champion

with a fresh building I do screw the play a bit tight and then I move the pivot ball arround. This will shape the plastics to the pivot ball and after that I set the play normal.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Don't put oil in them. You'll end up with dirt and sand in them which will become sticky with the oil. Maybe that's wht happened in the first place.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I blow them out with air and use some kind of prep/ shine (the upgrade stuff is my fav) squirt it in there and be done with it.

If they at binding take them out and clean them and the plastic too. Depends on driving conditions and type of dirt they may have to be cleaned me often than others.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

So is there supposed to be a bit of play in them then? I could likely back the screws out a bit and it would be fine. Ill clean out the oil as well of course. I didint think there was supposed to be any play in there thats why i tightened them in the first place lol
Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bksrt View Post
So is there supposed to be a bit of play in them then? I could likely back the screws out a bit and it would be fine. Ill clean out the oil as well of course. I didint think there was supposed to be any play in there thats why i tightened them in the first place lol
You absolutely need play. You will have to experiment as to how much because each car brand and even the dirt makes a difference.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Get new bushings. Or also get some metal polishing compound and chuck the balls up in a drill and polish them till they are mirror like.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

can you post a picture of the pivot ball and the area you're talking about?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:31 AM
Tech Adept

Itll take me a few days probably but ill take some pics. Im super busy this week plus ill probably forget but i will get some lol.

I figured they would have a graphite/teflon coating of some kind. The ones in my car are already pretty much mirror finish but im starting to think maybe i have too much pressure on them. I havent had a chance to do anything with it yet.