Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna Hyper8 stingray

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks guys I do really appreciate the help and knowlege.I picked up some blue LOCKTITE brand today and will use it from now on.I really wanted the hobby shop to at least give me new tips for my drivers for free but they obviously don`t respect my buisness so I am gonna try to buy all my stuff online from now on if possible.So now I will wait for the parts and they should be here in the AM so hopefully I will have the screws for the two posts at the least that way I can still try to have my first race Saturday.Thanks WYLDTHING for making me realize that all is not lost and the possibility to race this weekend was still there!Too bad my dumbshit supervisor forgot to go to HR today and get the paychecks as I was going to call in sick Friday,but hey I still might
Old 08-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I almost cried myself a river last night when I dismounted the engine for preparing this coming Sunday race.

Noticed one of the engine mount milled mounting slot on the chassis has chipped off, while the other three has cracked at where the screws were. From the chassis top, crack lines were also found at where the engine mount edge ends. It seemed the engine mount block length is too short & it ends within the milled portion of the chassis which is only about 1.5 ~ 2mm thick. This same problem was also encountered previously when one of our buddy used a Fioroni lighten chassis with the same engine mount design on his MBX4. The different is Fioroni milled till only 1mm material thickness is left and all 4 holes were yanked off neatly. Was paranoid with such design but though it would not happen to Hyper8 as it has more material left.

The worst is there's no stock currently as our local dealer never bring in the chassis. When requested to bring it in, this question was asked - 'Do chassis ever gets damage or wear out ?'.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry to hear that KK,
I think that after time and many flexes the chassis does get weak in certain spots.I know that my 10 year old GT is starting to crack right where the weak spot of the old chassis is.After the abuse I gave it many times it should have broken a long time ago.But 1/8 scales are bigger faster,stronger and also heavier but that does not mean that the problem does not exist.Massive amounts of torque in these super smokin motors might also have contibuted to the issue.Hope you can find a replacement quickly and get back to it.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

you should check ebay, i have seen chassis for 26.00 with a buy it now price i am about to order one myself. or you could try one of the new chassis rc-mart has them 4mm longer in fromt or 4mm longer in rear.

i am pretty jazzed cause i get to go racing tomorrow as well been be the first time i raced since oregon pro series race. i'll tell you guys how i do, i will be running a new engine as well so it probably won't be completely broken in.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Hey ROCKET,
Well I am off to the races tomarrow.I am so excited to see how the car runs against the others.Its ready to go and so am I.Its clean,prepped and ready.Hope I can lay down some good lap times.I have also decided to race the NCT at the Canby track in about a month so that should be a good test.Glad to hear your racing this weekend!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi guys

Thanks for the kind words of consolation. Already ordered one through our local dealer & should be here in 1 week time.

Just to be able to race tomorrow, here's a pic. of my desperate self fabricated remedy. Though it's protruding & susceptible to ploughing into rocks & stone & having the rear kicked up, let's hope the champered edge reduces that chance. By the look of my chassis, obviously it's well due for a new one. A pic. of my broken steering knuckle shows where it's weak area is.

BTW, just for information if you guys ever need to bend the pipe holder rod in case you use other pipe that doesn't fit perfectly, never attempt it as it breaks easily(with a nice 'klink' sound ) with just a slight bent. Never also try heating it to bend. It does bend easily upon heating &....THEREAFTER as well !. You will end up with a pipe holder as soft as copper.
Attached Thumbnails Ofna Hyper8 stingray-hyper8-3.jpg   Ofna Hyper8 stingray-hyper8-2.jpg  
Old 08-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Does the Hyper 7 (PBS) body fit the Hyper 8?
Old 08-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Hello all,
Back from a long day at the races.This was my first race with the HYPER 8 and it held up not only today but also the four previous practice sessions.I guess I will start with my heats.First heat I did ok but was not really consistant as I crashed a few too many times trying to figure out the track that I had not driven on.There is a really tough 8 woop section that I kept flipping on.Also noticed that I needed to raise the ride height for this track and did so for my second heat.There was a total of 15 buggies today at the races which was way cool.A few of the top local and not so local people.My second qualifier was good but still was not consitant with my lap times.I qualified 4th in the B-main,but I also noticed that my best lap times were better than the 4 guys ahead of me and also only a second or so slower than the top guys for the a-main which I was really impressed with myself and the H8.So B-main is only a 5 min. run and I wanted to concentrate on being very consistant and make a real race of it.Starting in fourth before one lap I was in the lead and led all the way till two about two laps remaining and had a little bobble and was passed by second place so I motored on.This bobble also let third place get close so on the last lap I got taken out or should I say tangled and I ended up third.That is racing and I still feel like I had a super great day with my H8.Shoot I almost bumped to the A-main first time out which is totally awsome.So I am going to go race there again in two weeks and am for sure going with your setup ROCKET but I do have one question for you.It seems like the guys around this track all are running maybe 50 or 60 weight oil in the shocks.But of course they all have KYOSHO<MUGEN<XRAY and the likes.
I guess I should say something about me being the only one at the track with an H8.Some were very interested to see it in person,some were not.But I think it is so cool to be the only guy at the track with this car.This thing makes me look good.I am going to keep racing and I am going to show the locals that this car can win even with me driving.Thanks again guys for talking me into this car.
Oh one more thing the Vspec is a great motor.Never flamed all day and is way fast.Talk to you all soon as I really need a shower and some beer.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool

I run the Mugen Blue springs. They are 18.5 lbs in the rear and 15.5 lbs in the front. Thery are larger in diameter which will not wear the shock body or the powder coating on the spring. This will keep the suspension from squeeking and keeps the spring more consistant as well.

My car comes in at 8.35 lbs and uses these heavy springs quite well. I also run 1.4mm pistons and 50wt in the front and 45wt in the rear.

Good to hear you were happy with your race day.
TEX
Old 08-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What starter boxes are you guys using?

I have gone through a couple of belts on Ofna model 10247, so I am making a change.

I am leaning towards the Mugen box or the Chrome Top Ofna box since it is direct drive (no belts). Has anyone used either?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeel
What starter boxes are you guys using?

I have gone through a couple of belts on Ofna model 10247, so I am making a change.

I am leaning towards the Mugen box or the Chrome Top Ofna box since it is direct drive (no belts). Has anyone used either?

Thanks
I am using the ofna chrome top and it has worked flawless for me. I use it with the gel cell battery.
hope this helps
Norman
Old 08-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

jeel i am using the compact and light ofna box and i love it, i think part no. is 10245.

tex is right on the blue mugen springs they are just slightly stiffer than the stock and they won't rub. if you check the tech tips on nitrohouse.com they have a spring chart comparison showing the rates of jammin ho bao and mugen shock springs.

motomanpat were you running my setup or are you going to next time, about the shock oil when i was up there at the track i belive his name is garret was running a hyper 8 he ended up winning the pro series race intermediate class. anywasy he was running like 60wt. front 50wt. rear. when i turn marshaled i payed close attention to his car and when he would go off a jump you could see how slowly they wheels would unload he ended up shelving his hyper 8 to run his kyosho cause he said the hyper 8 wasn't working. when you run heavy oil on a rough track the rebound is very slow and when the shocks hit a bump they stay compressed and don't get a chance to unload before the next bump andit will make it hard to get the power to the ground. when you corner the car will also react slower because it will take the suspension longer to flatten the chassis as you leave the corner. on smooth high traction surfaces you want a heavier oil so the car will react slower (making it easier to drive) and have a little less traction thru the corners making it corner faster. my setup is a base setup so i reccomend using the oil i suggested and if you need heavier switch to heavier. also watch those guys at your track that are running the heavier oil, watch there cars closely as they go off jumps and hit bumps look closely at how fast the car rebounds or squares up out of corners. if you can see a definate lag then they are running too heavy a oil. + the hyper 8 is a light car its closest comparison would be with an x-ray because the jammins are heavier they require a heavier oil in diffs and shocks.

ok it was great to go racing last nite i had a blast hanging out at the track. i was breaking in a new engine so i ran a lot of practice and the track had a new layout i hadn't driven before, is was supercross style with almost all tight turns and big technical jumps. jump up on to jump then jump off of jump. so first qualifier i had my idle set too low and flamed out twice, but got going on the track and got some practice laps in. second qualifier no engine problems and ran strong i ended up taking tq by 8 seconds, i had quite a few crashes because i haven't raced in so long i could put down fast laps but crashed more than normal. so the mains come around and its 14 min. since it was a new engine i decided to make 3 pit stops instead of 2 like the others. well the race starts and i am out in front for about the first 3 laps with second and third in tow, then my lack of practice begines to show and i start making mistakes, i lost the lead and ran second for awhile then trying to push too hard i made more mistakes then lost second and ended up third. well i kept on pushing and the track was hard for everyone so i ended up catching second and moved back into second but the leader was gone he was just on cruise control so i ended up second which was still a good night. checked the lap times and i had the fastest lap of the race barely by just a couple hundreths of a second. it was a fun night at the track.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Man ROCKET seems that you dont need much practice.Glad to hear you had fun and raced well.What kind of motor are you running now?.Ok I was not running your setup or anyone elses.

Front:
3000 diff oil
outside hole on arm,middle upper hole on tower
White pistons I think are 1.2mm 40W Stock Blue Spring 4mm preload
kick up not sure but what ever was stock
22 degree caster block
middle ackerman hole
never checked toe in or out yet

Middle:
3000 diff oil

Rear:
3000 diff oil
outside hole on arm,outside top hole on tower
White pistons 30W stock blue springs 2mm preload
anti squat not sure
not sure on toe in
not sure how to check or adjust sway bar preload

My car worked ok but I think I still need more rear traction out of corners or a better trigger finger.Comments always excepted
Old 08-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Oh and I also have not checked camber yet.I just wanted to race and have fun and see what I could do with the setup that was there.Now it is time to get it right though.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey motomanpat I'm glad to here that you are racing already! My advise is after you change the stock setup of the buggy to the base setup of rocket get ready for a total diferent car!!!you'll be surprised how difrent the car is going to react I was running the stock set up for a wile and after I change to rockets setup I improved a lot bumping up from the c and b mains to the a-mains.Have in mind that rockets setup is a base setup and you will need to do minor adjusments for the track you are racing.take care and keep all the H8 owners updated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.