Old 10-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default AKA releases Martin Bayer from team

http://www.neobuggy.net/2014/10/07/a...#disqus_thread

Whats everyones views on this????
Old 10-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

He signed a contract. He violated that contract. It is then the manufacturers discretion whether to leave that contract in place or terminate it. I'm sure someone else would love to sign him.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
He signed a contract. He violated that contract. It is then the manufacturers discretion whether to leave that contract in place or terminate it. I'm sure someone else would love to sign him.
Agreed. Bayer made the conscious decision to use ProLine tyres in the Worlds Final to give him a chance at winning, seeing as ProLine were wearing much better on the abrasive surface than what AKA were.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If I was a Bayer I'd probably have done the same thing if the World Championship was hanging in the balance.

If I was AKA I'd probably have done the same thing.

(As the article suggests involvement) if I was Xray / Mr Hudy I'd probably have done same thing.

At least be discrete about it... But then that's hard to do with tires. Probably easier to hide what fuel, engine, servo etc you're actually using... But then is there an ethical issue if your shirt says one thing and your fans buy it as a result when you're not even using that product?
Old 10-08-2014, 02:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

AKA drivers came 2nd and 3rd so AKA was still a good choice with a PL driver 4th,i think on that surface balled tyres would of been still good.I think Ty's winning margin had a lot more to do with his ability.

And if your sponsored by a certain brand and use another brand at the biggest race in two years, pretty good reason to get the boot.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nitro Tiger View Post
AKA drivers came 2nd and 3rd so AKA was still a good choice with a PL driver 4th,i think on that surface balled tyres would of been still good.I think Ty's winning margin had a lot more to do with his ability.

And if your sponsored by a certain brand and use another brand at the biggest race in two years, pretty good reason to get the boot.
+1

tys tyres were that good after final because of his driving style, not because his tyre was so much better.
hes just so smooth in his driving.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Heard the rumor, thanks in part to something a certain someone posted on their Worlds blog.

Saw the headline, yup read it. Turns out the rumor was indeed true, albeit, not knowing exactly "who" the driver in question was, nor "who" the Mfg. was that made the decision.

Now what to make of it................................................ ........................,

In all fairness, there seems to be a number details that are not known that could have influenced the final decision in one way or another.

Did Martin make the choice on his own accord?

Had Martin done the same thing before and either figured it wasn't a big deal or had he already been caught and given a "warning"?

Was Martin pressured by his chassis Mfg. to make the change?

Was the decision the final horse that broke the straw back, eluding to the idea that there may have been other issues between him and his tire sponsor in the past and this was just the final straw?

Those are just a few things that immediately jumped out at me. I'm sure there are a number of other things that could be added.

What concerns me and/or interests me a little more, is the fallout that could come in the upper levels of the "Pro" ranks. Lets be perfectly clear, this is not the first time it's been known for certain top level "Pro's" to make choices of similar or exact manners. This is the first time I am aware of that a top level driver has had this outcome. Which, if I were any number of other top tier driver's, I might be a bit more concerned, as the shock value is sure to be felt. Might even look over the contract a time or two to read up on any clauses that could be contained therein, or seek clarification from the Mfg. and/or Team Mgr. in regards to options that would be allowable for the use of another Mfg.'s products. At least, that would be my course of action.

While I almost feel for Martin a bit (fully with the understanding that I do not know or have all the facts in front of me), as he surely hasn't been the only one to ever do what he did. As they say, ignorance is no excuse. He signed on the dotted line, and should have known what the full expectations were in doing so. Everyone else could have been doing it, but at the end of the day, he got caught and must now live with the decisions he made at the time and the ensuing outcome.

I do applaud AKA for making the decision in the manner that they did. Many will most likely agree with said decision. It may not have been a decision they "wanted" to do, but "had" to do. I cannot fault them for that. However, now that the bar has been set, the tone is known, at least publically to some extent, it is now fully on them to keep anything of the like from happening again. Some that may have got a free pass before, should not be allowed to do so again. Specific contractual clauses not withstanding. Anything less, and I'm sure the general public will surely point it out to them via any number of media outlets and/or internet sites. Hopefully, the team, top "Pro's" down to the most junior, are all getting fully briefed on the subject.

Now, the question is, will other Mfg.'s decide to take a similar stance and make similar decisions if and when the times comes, or try to nip it in the bud and take preemptive measures before having to do so?
Old 10-08-2014, 04:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO View Post
If I was a Bayer I'd probably have done the same thing if the World Championship was hanging in the balance.

If I was AKA I'd probably have done the same thing.

(As the article suggests involvement) if I was Xray / Mr Hudy I'd probably have done same thing.

At least be discrete about it... But then that's hard to do with tires. Probably easier to hide what fuel, engine, servo etc you're actually using... But then is there an ethical issue if your shirt says one thing and your fans buy it as a result when you're not even using that product?
There is a simple option : have sponsors for all the other parts, but not for the tires. More freedom, but you lose one sponsor.
In this case, Martin could say to AKA "I will stop the partnership because I want to choose my tires", and maybe ask Xray to pay for it if they push him to do such a thing. Would have been better to do it first instead of be caught like this and released

Interesting that it can't happen in 1:10 since major events has spec tires...

Last edited by FFred; 10-08-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FFred View Post

Interesting that it can't happen in 1:10 since major events has spec tires...
Cactus Classic is a open tire race yet tebo and cav were on PL tires.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Reno Savoya also tried proline tires at the worlds. Wonder if sweep is going to fire him? NO!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:43 AM
am
Tech Master

There are pos that has a clause in their contract that if it is requiered, they can use different tires.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

Maybe Sweep will need a top driver.
AKA has enough

Maybe sweep knows that he tried PL.

We all not know why he does it or has to do it.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

There is probably more to this story. But without further facts, I dare not speculate on what I think may have occurred. Unfortunate for Bayer. AKA did the only thing they could do.

Personally, I feel it is a drivers obligation to use a sponsors product. Period. If not only for contractual obligations, but for ethical obligations as well.

My driving skills will never equal what even the 'backmarkers' ran at the Worlds. BUT, I do follow closely what they use in competition. Especially the 'big three', chassis, engine and tire. It has a marked influence on my purchases.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Some tire sponsors, I will not name them, give you the option to run a different tire if it's clear that a specific tire is simply better for the conditions at that event. AKA is not one of them, at this event or any other from what I know.

Some say it's on our tire or nothing. Others want you to try and win, even if it's not on their tire, knowing that most people who see your pics plastered all over the web will likely never know you didn't run their tire for that event, BUT they do know that you're sponsored by them.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
Cactus Classic is a open tire race yet tebo and cav were on PL tires.

I would guess Tebo either has that as an option in his contract, or he talked to Mark, Gil and or Joel first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.