Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
old school dirt VS Sugar (hardpacked) opinions >

old school dirt VS Sugar (hardpacked) opinions

old school dirt VS Sugar (hardpacked) opinions

Old 10-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manufacturercup View Post

1. Do you wish RC racing was more mainstream? with spectator and possible TV?
Yes, but only slightly so. The one thing the internet has helped with in a positive manner in the last 20 years or so is that most who follow the RC Racing, can do so much easier now than 20 years ago. All of the wed site coverage of various races and Live RC has done wonders for many in the hobby. Still, it can be a bit better than what it currently is, though I'm not exactly sure of the path that would need to be taken. With a bit more mainstream following, it should stand to reason that we would all have many more people in the hobby and racing side thereof. Yet, I'd be a little concerned that in going too mainstream, we'd all loose track of much of what we know of RC Racing to be now. It's a balance.
Should it get to the point that we follow the model of the other more mainstream full size forms of racing, I don't know if it would go over well with most racers. For example, if you don't qualify in the top 40, you go home. Many forms of full scale racing do that very thing, and it's pretty much accepted by all involved. We can't get RC racers to agree on much of anything, so I don't know how RC Racers come to terms with that type of racing format. It was posted that in order to gain better TV coverage, we'd have to change the current format to less qualifying and more racing. While that could help, I don't think that would have to be done. Look at MX and SX, the fans and racers are all there for most of the day, but the actual TV coverage is much less. It's possible to do the same in RC Racing.

It would probably help if we got the local media to come out and cover some of the race events. Say annual events and/or charity events of some kind that is not a normal "club" race. I think that could help a lot more and may be easier to do.

2. If you attended a race like the worlds would you be bummed if you were in one of the rain heats which were drastically slower? This has nothing to do with running in the rain itself. It's just an example of having a drastically slower track than your competitors.
Yes, some what. It's racing, it'll be what it'll be. Yet, every racer wants to have the same equal chance at being competitive if possible. That is the hope and/or goal while at an event of that caliber for just about every racer. It doesn't always go down that way. Some things you just cannot control. Plan for the worst and hope for the best at times I guess.

3. do you go to a major race for fun or to be competitive? think about this and please be honest.
A little of both, though it seems the longer I race, the more it becomes about the fun of being there. I have long since past my time of trying to be the next WC, super fast Pro racer. I still try to do well, but at most big events, I go into it knowing the likelihood of me showing up and winning it all is not very high. So you have to be realistic in your chances and enjoy as much of it as you can.

4. which of the following videos is more fun to watch for you?
Having been to both, it's a toss up. I like both for different reasons. If I was pressed, I have to say the DNC wins out, only slightly so.

5. of the 2 videos which is more appealing to a NON rc driver?
Of those two specific vids, I'd have to give it to the DNC one. Simply because it seems to have a better vid quality and comes across a little more professional looking.

6. which do you think is better for MAJOR RACES? Old school dirt or Sugar (hardpacked)?
Both have their place and major race events have been held over the course of RC Racing history. I would say as a racer, I'd probably like a more consistent surface. Within reason.

Dont need to watch it all obviously.
2013 nitro challenge (not suger but hardpacked)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-nucqW75gA

2011 Silver State Nitro Challenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxZ8YK4AkZ8

Originally Posted by Manufacturercup View Post
I figure i will answer my own questions with my opinion

1. Do you wish RC racing was more mainstream? with spectator and possible TV? YES! TV is probably a LONG ways away but there is no reason why events cant be designed to be entertaining for spectator. It can be done and has been done. Only takes a slight adjustment to the programs. At the 2007 and 2008 Manufacturers Cup we filled the stands with 4000+ people and they had a blast!

True point, yet the event was only held for two years and never really got off the ground, which I really had hoped it would. Seemed like what was done there for those two years worked and worked well. Why it didn't continue on an annual I can only guess, but do look to seeing it return.

Another thing I noticed that could help in getting the RC Racing a little more mainstream, or at least a bit more public interest. The Worlds.

Doesn't matter if it's on road or off road, its the pinnacle of RC Racing at the highest levels. Instead of having so much of it closed off to the public, have it more open to them. While up at the 1/10th Worlds in Chico for a day, I noticed a lot of cool new stuff there in various Mfg.'s booths, yet if you didn't have a pass of some kind, you'd have never saw any of it. So from a public standpoint, they didn't see things that may have caught there eye and/or interest other than the racing itself. I would have liked to see some Mfg./vendor booths setup outside of the pits to showcase the new products that they had and may have even been using there for the general public to have access to. I understand that could pose some security and logistical issues, but it can be done. As it was, it almost reminded me of SEMA. Things done for the benefit of the insiders who would be there and not the public which could have attended and maybe have had equal or greater interest in those things.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
1. Do you wish RC racing was more mainstream? with spectator and possible TV?
Yes, but only slightly so. The one thing the internet has helped with in a positive manner in the last 20 years or so is that most who follow the RC Racing, can do so much easier now than 20 years ago. All of the wed site coverage of various races and Live RC has done wonders for many in the hobby. Still, it can be a bit better than what it currently is, though I'm not exactly sure of the path that would need to be taken. With a bit more mainstream following, it should stand to reason that we would all have many more people in the hobby and racing side thereof. Yet, I'd be a little concerned that in going too mainstream, we'd all loose track of much of what we know of RC Racing to be now. It's a balance.
Should it get to the point that we follow the model of the other more mainstream full size forms of racing, I don't know if it would go over well with most racers. For example, if you don't qualify in the top 40, you go home. Many forms of full scale racing do that very thing, and it's pretty much accepted by all involved. We can't get RC racers to agree on much of anything, so I don't know how RC Racers come to terms with that type of racing format. It was posted that in order to gain better TV coverage, we'd have to change the current format to less qualifying and more racing. While that could help, I don't think that would have to be done. Look at MX and SX, the fans and racers are all there for most of the day, but the actual TV coverage is much less. It's possible to do the same in RC Racing.
As far as spectators go, i think the most common mistake that races make is advertise as "all day Sunday" or allowing spectators to show up throughout the day. you have to have a set "Show time" and keep the "show" less than 3 hours. I don't think people would be interested in staying any longer than that. Then change the format to Laps rather than time. And make the mains slightly shorter. I think something around 17 or 22 minutes is best. Then all you have to do is make sure you major mains fall within the "show times" and schedule backwards to find out when the rest of the mains need to start. practice, quals, and lower main can all be the same as normal because nobody outside of RC people will see it anyways. This is just my opinion but it worked for us.

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
True point, yet the event was only held for two years and never really got off the ground, which I really had hoped it would. Seemed like what was done there for those two years worked and worked well. Why it didn't continue on an annual I can only guess, but do look to seeing it return.
This is a good question. The reason is in the RC manufacturers really started tightening up their budgets because of the economy and to make an event the spectators will enjoy takes a lot and you need the support of the manufactures to make it work. But in my opinion, the economy is coming back enough to support something like this again. Especially because the manufacturers are a lot more professional looking these days with their team tents and such. crazy to think that stuff wasn't around back then.

sorry, this is somewhat off topic
Old 10-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

1. Do you wish RC racing was more mainstream? with spectator and possible TV? Absolutely! I don't know if we could ever host a live format for TV, but it doesn't have to be live to be enjoyable. In the current "standard" format its not really spectator or entertainment worthy. Racing for position has to be the focus. I don't see any reason that a Supercross style format couldn't work for RC. 20 car gate starts, transfer type qualifications where all out speed is a bit irrelevant. It can and has been done. I've ran a 15 car gate drop style start and the best part was, for some reason we had to do a restart and we got to do it TWICE!

2. If you attended a race like the worlds would you be bummed if you were in one of the rain heats which were drastically slower? This has nothing to do with running in the rain itself. It's just an example of having a drastically slower track than your competitors. Again, if the format was different with emphasis on position and not speed, it wouldn't matter

3. do you go to a major race for fun or to be competitive? think about this and please be honest.While, I enjoy the time of being with my fellow racers for a few days, I want to win every race. I want to race competitively with other racers of my skill level.

4. which of the following videos is more fun to watch for you?
"soft" blown out tracks can be fun once in a while, "hard" blown out tracks suck. Smooth grooved tracks(non-sugared) are my favorite, so IMO the DNC

5. of the 2 videos which is more appealing to a NON rc driver?The DNC is much easier to follow

6. which do you think is better for MAJOR RACES? Old school dirt or Sugar (hardpacked)? I don't think you need sugar or concrete, but a hard packed evolving track is okay. You just don't want for the track to become a factor in the racing. You want the racers to decide it not the race track, equipment failures and such are big enough drama factors
Old 10-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

I like the hard packed dirt. Unfortunately I don't agree that the track getting rough is a problem. The cream will rise to the top. I appreciate smooth tracks but at the same time, if everybody is fast and you don't require any additional skills then it can be a hack fest. I enjoy the challenge and being able to pick a line and pass people. Especially when they have no idea how you just did what you did.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly View Post
I like the hard packed dirt. Unfortunately I don't agree that the track getting rough is a problem. The cream will rise to the top. I appreciate smooth tracks but at the same time, if everybody is fast and you don't require any additional skills then it can be a hack fest. I enjoy the challenge and being able to pick a line and pass people. Especially when they have no idea how you just did what you did.
This is what I believe off-road racing is about. The best guys find the best lines on any track. On these hard-packed tracks it becomes more like on-road where a line develops and those who are better at following the line win. Passing is pretty much based around who crashes. Off-road is about creating your own line and adapting to the track as it changes throughout the day/race.