Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Advice on first Race Track Design & How to attract more bashers/racers >

Advice on first Race Track Design & How to attract more bashers/racers

Advice on first Race Track Design & How to attract more bashers/racers

Old 09-30-2014, 09:41 PM
  #1  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne/Manila
Posts: 90
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up Advice on first Race Track Design & How to attract more bashers/racers

Hi All,
So my buddies and I are tired of just bashing around with our kits. We'd like to get competitive amongst ourselves and really hone our driving skills. So far there's only 5-9 of us. But we dont mind as we know building the track could serve as an advertising platform to our hobby (Albay Philippines)

We regularly pull atleast 100+ people crowds when we bash near the beach so we know people are definitely interested, if not amazed & impressed with our little 1:8 nitro buggies

Here's the track i quickly designed, im hoping it would suit 1/8 Buggy, Truggy & MT as thats what we all have right now.



Please comment or give advice as this is our first track
RacePace is offline  
Old 09-30-2014, 11:25 PM
  #2  
Tech Fanatic
 
vandalzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere near Japan
Posts: 762
Default

I'm not specialist at track building, but from the driver's view this track looks boring
vandalzzz is offline  
Old 09-30-2014, 11:50 PM
  #3  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
ThoughtCriminal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New England USA.
Posts: 86
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I have no track experience, but to draw more people you need to advertise. Maybe a flyer up at the local hobby shops, and quicky-marts. Auto parts stores too. Anywhere gear heads would hang around. After you get a following you can hit up the big guys for advertising funds, Tekin, Losi, ect.

I can give you my 2c on your track. I enjoy watching elevation changes more than tons of curves.
ThoughtCriminal is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 12:49 AM
  #4  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne/Manila
Posts: 90
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by vandalzzz View Post
I'm not specialist at track building, but from the driver's view this track looks boring
Ok, what could i add to make it more challenging or more fun?

ThoughtCriminal, that sounds like a good idea, i have a friend who owns a motor cycle mod/racing shop so flyers there would be a start.
The program i used doesnt have an icon for elevation, but it is something we would want in the final design.

Also there are no hobby shops in this area or entire state, this hobby is totally new here, we would be the first to bring it & first to have a track in this region.
RacePace is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 01:57 AM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (21)
 
rallyebmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,885
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

There is a lot of 180 degree turns. Maybe some sweeping turns
rallyebmx is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 02:31 AM
  #6  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
ThoughtCriminal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New England USA.
Posts: 86
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RacePace View Post
Also there are no hobby shops in this area or entire state, this hobby is totally new here, we would be the first to bring it & first to have a track in this region.
Thats awesome. All you have to do is plant the seeds. You will be the only track in the area, so real companies may want to sponsor you when you get it up and running. You have nothing to lose shooting them an email. I'd get cards printed up too. When you get a crowd to watch your bashing hand out the cards.

I think the first thing you should do is set up a stock class. It will give new people a place to race their new RTR vehicles. Then Blinky, then Mod.

Where I live we only have 2 tracks, and they are both over 50 miles away. I wish I had the property to set something up.

If you need some help setting up a flyer let me know. I'm good with designs, and art. I'll help you out.

Some older PC games, like Roller Coaster Tycoon, allows you to raise, and lower land in a 3D grid design. Add a dirt path to the grid land design, and you have a track. Take a screen shot of it, and you'll have a 3D scaled grid outline. You can use a food kiosk icon for the driver stand placement. Add lights, seats, ect.

To take a screen shot hit the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard, then open Paint, click Paste, and save.

Good luck!
ThoughtCriminal is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 03:19 AM
  #7  
Tech Champion
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

nice project!

for the track yep there are too many corners that look exactly the same (180 turns), it lacks of variety and "flow"

there are many excellent tracks on youtube, just type "1/8 nitro racing" or whatever to find some inspiration

as mentioned a variety of elevations always makes a track attractive, and don't forget about the marshalls too

you really have to think of it in 3D, ThoughtCriminal gave you an excellent advice concerning the 3D renderings that you could realise to have a realistic idea of what the track could be
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 PM
  #8  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
hustler777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: indawoods, WI
Posts: 1,109
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Too many switch back corners....when you design a track you have to look at it from a 3rd persons point of view almost.
hustler777 is offline  
Old 10-05-2014, 08:06 PM
  #9  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne/Manila
Posts: 90
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ThoughtCriminal View Post
Thats awesome. All you have to do is plant the seeds. You will be the only track in the area, so real companies may want to sponsor you when you get it up and running. You have nothing to lose shooting them an email. I'd get cards printed up too. When you get a crowd to watch your bashing hand out the cards.

I think the first thing you should do is set up a stock class. It will give new people a place to race their new RTR vehicles. Then Blinky, then Mod.

Where I live we only have 2 tracks, and they are both over 50 miles away. I wish I had the property to set something up.

If you need some help setting up a flyer let me know. I'm good with designs, and art. I'll help you out.

Some older PC games, like Roller Coaster Tycoon, allows you to raise, and lower land in a 3D grid design. Add a dirt path to the grid land design, and you have a track. Take a screen shot of it, and you'll have a 3D scaled grid outline. You can use a food kiosk icon for the driver stand placement. Add lights, seats, ect.

To take a screen shot hit the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard, then open Paint, click Paste, and save.

Good luck!
Thanks ThoughtCriminal, may need your help soon on those fly designs if its not too much trouble & when ever you got the free time

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
nice project!

for the track yep there are too many corners that look exactly the same (180 turns), it lacks of variety and "flow"

there are many excellent tracks on youtube, just type "1/8 nitro racing" or whatever to find some inspiration

as mentioned a variety of elevations always makes a track attractive, and don't forget about the marshalls too

you really have to think of it in 3D, ThoughtCriminal gave you an excellent advice concerning the 3D renderings that you could realise to have a realistic idea of what the track could be
Yup im in search of a 3D design program, something not too complicated that can be easily understood for a newbie designer..

Originally Posted by hustler777 View Post
Too many switch back corners....when you design a track you have to look at it from a 3rd persons point of view almost.
3rd persons point of view? Do you mean in 3D? Sorry not sure i exactly understand.

Anyway setting the track up isnt just getting bulldozers in and start clearing land up to make way for the track as i hoped so. So far im still in discussion with the local mayor and the home owners association to get all the relevant permits, there is also a church nearby so ill have to schedule our race days or practice days when mass isnt on.

But so far so good as ive been endorsed by the city mayor as he see's this as tourism & good opportunity to develop RC Nitro here in our region.



We have to clear some of the long grass/weeds to the left of the black car



Between the long grass(to the left) and the area to the basketball court there is some elevation there due to natural formation of the land so might use that to our advantage in the final track design.
RacePace is offline  
Old 10-06-2014, 05:18 AM
  #10  
Tech Addict
 
razo125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: FearFarm - Arizona
Posts: 663
Default

Originally Posted by RacePace View Post
Thanks ThoughtCriminal, may need your help soon on those fly designs if its not too much trouble & when ever you got the free time



Yup im in search of a 3D design program, something not too complicated that can be easily understood for a newbie designer..



3rd persons point of view? Do you mean in 3D? Sorry not sure i exactly understand.

Anyway setting the track up isnt just getting bulldozers in and start clearing land up to make way for the track as i hoped so. So far im still in discussion with the local mayor and the home owners association to get all the relevant permits, there is also a church nearby so ill have to schedule our race days or practice days when mass isnt on.

But so far so good as ive been endorsed by the city mayor as he see's this as tourism & good opportunity to develop RC Nitro here in our region.



We have to clear some of the long grass/weeds to the left of the black car



Between the long grass(to the left) and the area to the basketball court there is some elevation there due to natural formation of the land so might use that to our advantage in the final track design.
Good luck and hope it goes well.

From a 3rd person point of view... Try to visualize the track as if your standing on the drivers stand to get a better feel of how it flows.

Your layout looks fun, but here's some ideas for improvement from a track layout point of view. (this is to attract and build racers)

1. For racers and bashers a track that flows from low speed to high speed, makes for better side by side racing. (less crashes) So less 180s and maybe more 90s and even long sweepers. You will get a lot of rear end and t-bone crashes with all the 180 corners which makes for upset drivers when they crash all the time while racing wheel to wheel/bumper to bumper.
2. Center the drivers stand for the best field of view (not everyone can see that well and you eliminate potential drivers or discourage current drivers just because they can't see as well as others)
3. Put straight away and easy parts of the track away from the stand, and more difficult parts of the track closer to the drivers stand. For a better view of the lanes. Same as point #2, this eliminates the vision thing as a factor on driving so all age groups can drive close to equal.
4. Big jumps must have a matching landing. No flat landing.
6. elevation changes add to the fun factor. but you take into account proper drainage when it rains.
7. Wider lanes (3.6 to 4 meters)

You mentioned it's for bashers AND racers. Since you are targeting new people to build the hobby, don't make the track too hard. Make the lanes wider, and less technical so the beginners have a chance to do a few laps without crashing. Too many crashes will discourage new comers.

For most racers, they like a flowing track that is a bit more technical so they don't get bored with it after a couple tanks. (But I would target beginners and bashers first to build the fanbase.)

You'll have to balance these 2 totally opposite points of view basher track and racer track. But items 1-7 are what both groups have in common IMO.
razo125 is offline  
Old 10-06-2014, 05:35 AM
  #11  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
ThoughtCriminal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New England USA.
Posts: 86
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RacePace View Post
Thanks ThoughtCriminal, may need your help soon on those fly designs if its not too much trouble & when ever you got the free time.
I'm disabled, so most of my time is free. I do art, and graphics to relax so its no trouble. Jump on Google Images and grab any graphic files you want incorporated, plus what you want it to say, and I'll throw it together for you. Shoot me a PM when you have everything. If you have Photoshop I can send you the template too, this way you can edit any future revisions.
ThoughtCriminal is offline  
Old 10-06-2014, 08:17 AM
  #12  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
hustler777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: indawoods, WI
Posts: 1,109
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

What I meant by 3rd person is sitting back and picturing your track from the spectators point of view. If its fun too watch, it'll be fun to race on. Also keep in mind ease of maintenance and how the water naturally flows. Work with the land, not against it, as much as possible.
hustler777 is offline  
Old 10-07-2014, 06:25 AM
  #13  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne/Manila
Posts: 90
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Razo125,
Your right the lanes do need to be wider, and the track is very technical and maybe even a little intimidating...My thinking is though i dont want to make a track that me and the guys will grow out of after 6 months or so.. but from experience less crashing always equals more fun...

Next time i meet with the guys ill raise all the good points you made

ThoughtCriminal;

Thats really kind & helpful of you, actually touched that you'd want to help me a stranger.. So thank you very much! The symbol of our region is a Volcano, so we were thinking an RC buggy/silhouette of a buggy jumping over the volcano...

hustler777
Yeah havent really thought about drainage etc, cause when it rains out here it freakin pours! Last thing id want is a big muddy water hole lol

Thanks guys for all your input!!! I'll update this thread as soon as i know how much land we are approved of using & when i have some solid design ideas both for track & logos.
RacePace is offline  
Old 10-07-2014, 07:27 AM
  #14  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
ThoughtCriminal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New England USA.
Posts: 86
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RacePace View Post
ThoughtCriminal;

Thats really kind & helpful of you, actually touched that you'd want to help me a stranger.. So thank you very much! The symbol of our region is a Volcano, so we were thinking an RC buggy/silhouette of a buggy jumping over the volcano...
I believe in helping people, and paying things forward. Maybe one day someone will need your help, and you can pay it forward too. If everyone did this the world be a much better place.

I think your graphic idea sounds cool. When you select images keep in mind what kind of printing service you'll use. If you go professional printing they charge you for each color used. You may have to make color choice that fit you budget. If you're going to use a home printer it will be much cheaper, and you can use any colors you want. Or you can use a color copier service. They usually charge $0.25 a copy. At least thats what they charge were I live. So figure out your budget, and choose the best printing option for you before you select graphics.
ThoughtCriminal is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.