Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Please help identify these ofna buggys >

Please help identify these ofna buggys

Please help identify these ofna buggys

Old 09-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Please help identify these ofna buggys

Hi guys I picked these up over the weekend and would like to get them up to spec for a friend that is looking to get into racing on the cheap.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Figures only the pics of one of the cars will upload, must have banned the other car, I'll get them posted in a bit.

Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails Please help identify these ofna buggys-img_1082%5B1%5D.jpg   Please help identify these ofna buggys-img_1087.jpg   Please help identify these ofna buggys-img_1088.jpg   Please help identify these ofna buggys-img_1099%5B1%5D.jpg   Please help identify these ofna buggys-img_1101%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by ThePit; 09-09-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: adding more pics I hope
Old 09-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

The first one is an Ofna Ultra LX Comp RTR buggy. I don't know what the second buggy is with the purple anodizing.

I wouldn't waste the time and money trying to get them race ready because they aren't race worthy vehicles. They'd be OK for bashing though.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Second buggy is a Carson Dirt King with purple parts from the HPI Trophy 3.5...Basically a Kyosho MP7.5 clone. First 1/8th buggy I drove and would be the better racer of the two.
They are capable of racing, but preventive maintenance is time consuming and not avoidable. Here's some tips:
Shim the differentials crown gear to pinion gear to have a little amount of lash, not too much not too little. With the correct lash the gears spin freely with little noise. Grease them a little. Same with the main gear/ clutch lash but do not use grease.
Have spare clutch bearings and shims, I think OFNA has a clutch shim kit. You want the bearing in the clutch bell to have a little space so they aren't "pinched" by the clutch bell when it expands due to heat.
Fresh fuel and glow plugs, avoid leaving the fuel can opened for more than it takes to fill the fuel bottle; have spare air filter foams and clean/change them regularly.
Quality servos mounted properly with the rubber grommets and spaced out from the chassis, metal geared servos are "mandatory" for 1/8th, use a radio with EPA adjustment so you don't stress them. A quality radio really improves the feel and overall performance, my suggestion is an Airtronics MX-v. Avoid setting the servo linkages to have odd angles.
Good tires it's where most money will be spent, pre mounted tires are okay depending on brand.
Receiver battery pack and a smart charger, avoid the trickle chargers they are too slow and make the packs perform badly. A NiMH 6v hump 6v pack is what your buggies use.
Buy good tools, the L wrenches are too soft.
Lastly the engine, a lot of.21 cubic in. engines in the market for a good price, depends largely on your budget. Cheap option number one is http://www.rctech.net/forum/13166314-post371.html.
Well, you can do it "cheaply", without fancy and expensive parts/engine/electronics but it requires a bit more commitment to maintenance and going through the buggies with more attention to prevent transmission/engine/electronics failure.
Any questions just ask, hope someone with more experience than I can provide more insight and tips. There's more information on this site but beware, take it with a grain of salt
Old 09-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the input guys, I was so sure the purple guy was an ofna also.
I also have an ofna ravager, would that be better for racing at all?
Old 09-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

In America, the purple one was sold as the Hotbodies Lightning.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hoese37
In America, the purple one was sold as the Hotbodies Lightning.
That's where it gets interesting, most parts are compatible both being MP7.5 clones and the Carson King of Dirt is kind of a HB Lightning beta version(see front upper arms).
The ravager is another buggy similar to the MP7.5, better in some ways, so you could race it without fear of not getting parts.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Wrong thread...oops

Last edited by metalhack; 09-10-2014 at 11:40 AM.