R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   changed from 14t bell to 13t and increase in temp (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/834958-changed-14t-bell-13t-increase-temp.html)

Mr.NitroBurner 09-06-2014 01:36 PM

changed from 14t bell to 13t and increase in temp

Hi I have the kyosho inferno mp777 wc with novarossi plus s4 pull start
I have changed out from 14t clutch bell to 13t.
I went for a spin with it today and noticed an increase in temp ( normaly I had 225-245f) hard running on a 18- 20 degree Celsius day. this time I had 240-250f running not hard but not slow on 16 degree day.

I noticed nice increase in kick off.:D

But could the temp be higher because of the 13t bell making the engine rpm higher when driving same speed like on 14t?

I do not want to hear in replays that the engine temp is fine !
I want it to stay around 220-245

Also an important thing before I installed 13t bell in when I was working on the clutch I noticed that the spring got loose and would not keep the shoe in , (while engine running the wheels would spin) i took the spring , put it into vice , heated it up , and bent it slightly , I put it onto shoe clutch and it was fine :sweat:

P.S I will get new springs

Can you answer my question?

Frank L 09-06-2014 02:36 PM

Why would you put a clutch together with broken springs?
That alone can cause engine temps to rise.
If you want the temp to go down then make it richer.

madweazl 09-06-2014 03:12 PM

To answer the question, yes, the small bell can and will increase engine temps because you're turning more RPM.

RCmayor 09-06-2014 06:56 PM

The car will top out really quickly, it will feel like you are driving full throttle everywhere just to get around the track. On a small track it probably wouldn't hurt to go to a 13th bell, but anything medium size to large the bigger bell will be needed. A switch from 13 to 14 is a big step in gear ratio. Its like going from a 21t pinion in 10th scale to like 24t.

Mr.NitroBurner 09-07-2014 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by RCmayor (Post 13518064)
The car will top out really quickly, it will feel like you are driving full throttle everywhere just to get around the track. On a small track it probably wouldn't hurt to go to a 13th bell, but anything medium size to large the bigger bell will be needed. A switch from 13 to 14 is a big step in gear ratio. Its like going from a 21t pinion in 10th scale to like 24t.

Hi yes so for this track http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aSRXcXC8DTQ what should you think i should use?
And what springs on shoe clutch should i use?

P.s thats not me on the video.

RCmayor 09-07-2014 06:33 AM

That track isn't small enough to go down in clutch bell gear size. For springs probably something on the lighter side, it looks like that track has traction problems. Maybe a heavy flywheel too.

SManMTB 09-07-2014 07:40 AM

Used to run 13/48 on the 777 SP2 and it was pure joy.
Very snappy performance and top speed was never an issue. The blue head V-Spec liked revs and temps were in the 235-250 range.

Your temps are fine..... like it or not.

Mr.NitroBurner 09-07-2014 08:52 AM

Ok today i went outside with 14t and i was running hard . Temps went up to 267 f day temp is 18c why is my temp rising up?

madweazl 09-07-2014 09:57 AM

I'm assuming your tuning for the different temperature/conditions as well? Less than 10° wont make a big difference in the tune but more than that and there would be a noticeable change.

If that spring in your clutch is dragging, this could increase temps as well (increase load on the engine). Looking for binding in other areas too (wheel bearing, diff bearings, brakes etc).

Mr.NitroBurner 09-07-2014 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by madweazl (Post 13518972)
I'm assuming your tuning for the different temperature/conditions as well? Less than 10° wont make a big difference in the tune but more than that and there would be a noticeable change.

If that spring in your clutch is dragging, this could increase temps as well (increase load on the engine). Looking for binding in other areas too (wheel bearing, diff bearings, brakes etc).

Yees i have cheaked everything is smooth with now drag.
I will change out the springs and we will see.
Any more ideas why temps are higher?

SManMTB 09-07-2014 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.NitroBurner (Post 13519372)
Yees i have cheaked everything is smooth with now drag.
I will change out the springs and we will see.
Any more ideas why temps are higher?

Higher average rpm ---> more combustion cycles and with cooling the same as before ---> higher temps.