rtr buggies

Old 08-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

Default rtr buggies

Just curious as to why these companies are calling them "rtr". I see alot of companies putting huge engines in these cars. .28 is not uncommon and yet i thought you are required to run a .21 or less to be legal? Also the fuel tanks are getting bigger and bigger. Legal size is 125cc right?

Maybe its time for a rule change? Maybe an addition of a class to include engines up to a .32 and 150-180cc tank?

If a was totally new to the hobby, id drop $400 on a Hyper ss and head out to the track. Only to find out i need to spend another $200 on a motor and $10-20 for a legal tank. Thats not "RTR" if you ask me.

So again maybe its time for a new class? Personally i think it would be a friggin awesome time to take a bunch of rtr buggies right from the box to the track. We all know the quality of the rtr units is somwhat less than the kits so having a totally "box stock" class would be interesting as hell. Its clear that the rc companies arent building these units for the "serious" racer, these are for the average joe that lacks the patienceto build a kit. So why not have a racing class dedicated for these buyers and thier trucks/cars?

Just sayin....
Old 08-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Pretty rare for a track to not allow a .28 during club races. As for the fuel tanks, most of them come with a removable plug that will keep them at the legal limit. I'd never have an issue with a racer bringing an RTR .28 equipped buggy to the track; the more racers, the better. Over time he/she will outgrow the RTR engine and get something better suited to racing (a fuel efficient and smooth powerband .21).
Old 08-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

RTR stands for ready to run and not for ready to race.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

The 8ight RTRs are just fine on track for the sportsman racer.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

Oh ok. Are the rules not very strict then? I thought you were limited to .21 and 150cc? I can see just running whatever you want at a practice session. If its a timed event i wouldnt want to be running with .28s or bigger. I guess it depends on how you look at things too. A good .21 will have a top end advantage over a bigger motor but on the short tracks the bigger motor has the low end torque you want coming out of a corner. Or is the difference so small you dont notice too much? I havent had much time on the smaller motors. My first was a .50 and the second was .46. My .28 had very much the characteristics of my bigger motors tho. Torquey as hell and bad mileage. Ive JUST got my .21 running last week and it actually hasnt been off the starter box yet so i literally have 0 driving time on it.
Ive seen a bunch of cars in the stores that say ready to race on them biut again, they have huge motors in them. I was also under the impression rtr meant ready to run but i have seen ready to race too
Old 08-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

At sanctioned events you have to follow the rules but at club racing you can race whatever you bring, especially in a novice class which is usually where you would find any racer with an RTR anyway. You will never see a racer with a RTR at any of the large Sanctioned Races anyway.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

No i didnt think so.

What are the big sanctioning bodies in our hobby? Im in canada, there doesnt seem to be as much offroad action here. Lots on indoor electric onroad and drift. I hate drift and onroad really isnt my thing either.

Are the electric rules similar to nitro? I dont electric stuff at all.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

ROAR and IFMAR are the norm.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

Be aware that most larger RTR engines do not have the performance as a good racing engine, that is why some clubs do alow these larger pullstart engines.

Bigger engines and larger tanks is just a selling argument for hobby drivers also known as bashers. RTR cars are just not sold as serious racing cars.