Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What receiver pack battery type? >

What receiver pack battery type?

What receiver pack battery type?

Old 07-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default What receiver pack battery type?

Did a bunch of searches and could not find anything current. I am new to nitro and curious what you guys can share as far as pros and cons of the different cell types. I am running an MBX6 with jr9100 servos. I have a hi tech X4 AC so think I can charge most anything out there. Any input is greatly appreciated and please let everyone have their own opinion. So no bashing please. Just like to hear what works good for who and hopefully this will help others too.
Kris
Old 07-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Tech Adept

I run duratrax 1600 2/3a flat packs in the cars that take flat packs and 2/3a hump packs in the cars that fit 2/3a hump packs. Transmitter battery life is my limiting factor....or my attention span. There are lipos, voltage regulators and high voltage servos. To just step up from using 4AA throw always the ni-mh packs are a great step up in performance. The power the battery can put out will make your car feel like it has stronger servos!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Tech Rookie

If money is no object you cant go wrong with a lipo receiver pack. Charge lasts a long time and its quick to recharge. The downside is the initial cost of the battery and the fact that you need to buy a voltage regulator when running a lipo receiver pack.

Personally im still running nimh hump packs because they're cheap and easy. They dont last as long on a charge as a lipo and take longer to charge, but i make it through a day of racing my 1/8th scale no problem. I bring an extra nimh pack to the track just in case but even those two batteries are less than the cost of a lipo and voltage regulator.

Some day i'll step up to lipo when i have the extra cash but until then nimh works fine for me.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

I'm using a LiFePO4 pack, 2s 6.6 v, works great for a receiver pack & also in my Sanwa MT-4 radio. My servo's are standard 6v, Savox 1256tg & 1258tg, the extra .6v from the LiFe pack hasn't hurt the servos, (or rx) & even the cheap standard Savox servo's in my RTR handle the extra .6v without a problem. It makes servo's slightly faster compared to the standard 6v Nimh, they last a fair bit longer than Nimh & they don't have the fire problems that LiPo pack can have if not looked after properly.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ozziii View Post
I'm using a LiFePO4 pack, 2s 6.6 v, works great for a receiver pack & also in my Sanwa MT-4 radio. My servo's are standard 6v, Savox 1256tg & 1258tg, the extra .6v from the LiFe pack hasn't hurt the servos, (or rx) & even the cheap standard Savox servo's in my RTR handle the extra .6v without a problem. It makes servo's slightly faster compared to the standard 6v Nimh, they last a fair bit longer than Nimh & they don't have the fire problems that LiPo pack can have if not looked after properly.
+1 on the LiFe batteries. Been running 1600mAh Venom's all last year and some this year. Found out that Track Power has the same size but in 1900mAh 2 weeks ago. Just ran a full hour on them today with absolutely zero problems. If you have a Losi, You have to do a slight mod on the hump pack cover but a piece of foam on the top is all you need. BTW, I am running JR 9100's as well in both buggy and truggy.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blackpearl#1 View Post
Did a bunch of searches and could not find anything current. I am new to nitro and curious what you guys can share as far as pros and cons of the different cell types. I am running an MBX6 with jr9100 servos. I have a hi tech X4 AC so think I can charge most anything out there. Any input is greatly appreciated and please let everyone have their own opinion. So no bashing please. Just like to hear what works good for who and hopefully this will help others too.
Kris
My EB4 is running the 9100S and the 9100T with a Reedy 1600mah NIMH flatpack and the reliability and user friendliness of that set up is awesome. No problems at all.

My OFNA Picco has the 305oz/Torque Savox servos with the Duratrax 1600 mah NIMH Hump pack but those servos eat power like crazy. My hump pack has only enough power to get me through maybe 4 tanks and then my telemetry warning starts going off with a low voltage warning I have set at 5.1Volts. That was the same hump pack I originally had in one of my LX2s with Spektrum servos and it lasted 2 days in that set up.

All my receiver packs in all 4 of my nitros that I built so far use the NIMH in one form or the other but all of them are at least 1600 mah. I havn't given much thought to the Lipos because for me, the chargers are just too complicated. I do this for fun, not doing quantum leaps here.

In my transmitters, I've recently switched to the Energizer NIMH recharcheable stuff. I started out trying just one to see how it would go and from there, I decided all my transmitters, temp guns, and test tools should use that. The Energizer stuff is working really good and reliable for me so far and it's inexpensive. 9V batteries are around $11 but a new Duracell alkaline is around $6 if I remember right. The 9Vs are for my temp guns.

Back in the '80s, all we had was NICD. That was always just barely good enough and required some attention to maintain maximum life and performance. These days, the NIMH are totally good enough for me: Charge em as much as you want and go and they require no special attention. So much better than the NICD I was used to that it just gives me another reason not to look at Lipos.

BUT, from what I've seen, the Lipos are by far the highest performance in every application.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mercfocus View Post
My EB4 is running the 9100S and the 9100T with a Reedy 1600mah NIMH flatpack and the reliability and user friendliness of that set up is awesome. No problems at all.

My OFNA Picco has the 305oz/Torque Savox servos with the Duratrax 1600 mah NIMH Hump pack but those servos eat power like crazy. My hump pack has only enough power to get me through maybe 4 tanks and then my telemetry warning starts going off with a low voltage warning I have set at 5.1Volts. That was the same hump pack I originally had in one of my LX2s with Spektrum servos and it lasted 2 days in that set up.

All my receiver packs in all 4 of my nitros that I built so far use the NIMH in one form or the other but all of them are at least 1600 mah. I havn't given much thought to the Lipos because for me, the chargers are just too complicated. I do this for fun, not doing quantum leaps here.

In my transmitters, I've recently switched to the Energizer NIMH recharcheable stuff. I started out trying just one to see how it would go and from there, I decided all my transmitters, temp guns, and test tools should use that. The Energizer stuff is working really good and reliable for me so far and it's inexpensive. 9V batteries are around $11 but a new Duracell alkaline is around $6 if I remember right. The 9Vs are for my temp guns.

Back in the '80s, all we had was NICD. That was always just barely good enough and required some attention to maintain maximum life and performance. These days, the NIMH are totally good enough for me: Charge em as much as you want and go and they require no special attention. So much better than the NICD I was used to that it just gives me another reason not to look at Lipos.

BUT, from what I've seen, the Lipos are by far the highest performance in every application.
Eventually you will switch to Lipo especially if you ever race and you will be pissed that you waited so long to switch. Lipo chargers come with instructions and as long as you can read you'll get it in no time. Lipo batteries are a night and day difference and 1000 times better than anything else.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

DTX 1400 5cell NiMh hump pack fits my 1/8 scale Axis buggy radio box. I'll probably pick up another as back-up. Seldom use it though. Just cycle it periodically and maintain it at the ready.

Right now, believe it or not, a 4xAA alkaline battery pack works just fine. My servo draw is light. Two analog Futaba S3305's. 124oz-in torque each. But then I don't race. Track car use on practice days only. So I don't need capacity for three heats and a main. That, and I don't trust LiPo's. Don't use them to power any of my electronics.

-AC-
Old 07-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I'm not sure if those servos are rated for lipo I have ran them in the past but on nimh. If they are lipo is the way to go if not opt for a life pack.

Even the JR HV servos fried on straight lipo. When I sent them back in they said I gave them too much juice. Idk how that's possible.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 AM
Tech Master

Nothing wrong with LiFe or LiFePO4 packs, may not have the power of a LiPo but they are safer, they are better than nimh, last longer & are lighter, alot of standard 6v servo's will run fine with the 6.6v & also have the extra speed provided by the extra .6v.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I am familiar with Lipo but not life. Does life have the same cut off issues as a Lipo? A runaway would suck. Or does suck I should say. Thanks again for any and all advice.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Blackpearl#1 View Post
I am familiar with Lipo but not life. Does life have the same cut off issues as a Lipo? A runaway would suck. Or does suck I should say. Thanks again for any and all advice.
I think there is a minimum voltage, something like 2.5v but not quite sure, I've never had an issue with my receiver packs, (cheap HK nano techs), I just charge & use them, no special care really & they last a fair while.
I still keep them out of the sun & away from heat etc but some care should be taken with any battery pack.
I have a 4s 13.2v LiFe in my starter box that worked well, although I got it when I got a new engine & I think I may have damaged it by draining it right down while trying to run in a new very tight engine, I did put a lot of strain on it though but after the engine was run in or warm it would start ok, I think its nearly stuffed now though as its expanded a little & now has trouble turning over a warm engine, I blame myself for that though.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

I just use the standard 2/3 hump pack style nimh. It is easier for me, I just throw them on the charger and put them in the bag with my buggy and truggy. I know they are good to go come race day and I don't have to fiddle around with balancing. However, I do run Lipos in my 1/10 2wd buggy, so I am aware of how far superior they are to nimh