NT48 or Xt9

Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default NT48 or Xt9

Hello everyone,

First off, I have been out of the hobby since 2005. If fact, the last car I bought/built was an Ofna Hyper 8 and I just found it sitting inside it's box in my basement, not even used. That gave me the itch once again.

So I bought and assembled an HB D8T. Now, I need a second one to play with and it's between an NT48 or an XT9.

Granted, I will not be racing in any course, nor will I be competitive with it. I just need one to do backyard/park fun with family members. I looked around forums and it's usually one or the other or the safe response of "go to a hobby shop and ask to see if you can try one". Well I went to my hobby shop and no one let me try one. Their response is these are above my experience level.

So, here's my concern with the XT9. Durability of Graphite parts.
Here's my concern with the NT48. Integrated radio tray might flex with the side mud guards.

Basically, I'm leaning towards the XT9 because it already includes wheel, tires and foam for $549. On the other hand, I might spend more if the graphite parts break easily for running it outside of a racetrack.

As for the NT48, it's $649 without wheels or tires but high stress areas are aluminum so I might not have to replace it as often. However, those trays may be replaced more often than I need to if it becomes loose.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

If I was going to buy one I would get a Tekno. I have an SCT410 and it's a beast! I have seen a couple of locals with the Tekno buggys and they are great and the reviews on the Truggy is great also.

$560 from here
Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

if you are just bashing, I would stay away from the carbon fiber parts. the nt48 is an awesome truck, but for just bashing, I would stick with something you can easily get parts for locally. Almost every hobby shop sells losi or mugen parts. If yours happens to carry Tekno stuff, it would be my choice. It has proven to be very durable and is very fun to drive. It jumps very well and is controllable in the air which is important for bashing.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your responses,

Nitroal, I see that you have the NT48. How do you like it so far? As for bashing, I've seen bashing videos and no where near have I treated any of my RC's in the past that way. Those guys are crazy and probably had more disposable income than me

Our RC playground is a lightly grassed, flat field, with beer and and a grill.

I'll probably take both your advices. Thank you.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The cf from xray is not comparable to any other cf. The xt9 is a great truck. I was talking to a recently signed tekno team driver who was rolling another brand and when I questioned what happened to tekno he said IDK. The tekno truck looks promising but it is still new IMO. The wheels and tires that come with the xray are for bashing only but the cf parts are tough I would not let that hold you back. I like my xray truck.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Tekno gets m vote. Of all the Truggys I've raced this has been hands down the best. It's durability is second to none. Customer support is outstanding, when they acknowledge a problem, they fix it. Handling has been a game changer for me, can ask anyone I race with. I haven't broken a thing on the truck yet other than a diff from the early diff shims, but as I said this has been corrected.

I have not driven the X-Ray, but given the history don't expect any kind of updates on the Truggy side of the house for years... Also not sure how well the Team support or company support is. With Tekno you can find just about anyone in the company or the track to help you.

But even given this, you have to understand that neither of these trucks were built for strictly "bashing", they are designed track driving. Yes they can be taken to a local skatepark and launched or flown around the back yard etc.. but not what they are designed for. My track has a huge table top on the back +75 feet long... for fun I try and clear the whole thing with the Truggy and have come close... but also caught the wall a few times. Was expecting the truck to be broke or bent or something, to my surprise there was nothing wrong with it.

So Murphy's law of RC... 20 cart wheels down the track into the wall landing on the straight away and smacked by another car... nothing breaks... clip a pipe on the apex of a corner and your a-arm breaks

BTW Frank I need to make my way north one of these days and try the racing up there... all this SoCal racing has me spoiled lol
Old 07-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Tech Lord

Stirex
Bring it on. We have at least 1 solid track that is getting decent turn outs.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I run tekno buggy and xray truggy, and although I would probably now buy the tekno for racing, I have no hesitation in saying go for Xray for the driving you will do. Even the included tires are perfect for bashing, and it's one less thing you need to buy at the start. It is ultra durable, and with a powerful engine and box stock setup, it will make your day in the park ;-)

If you decide to race later on, there is still nothing wrong with the XT9, I am always within the top 5 at my track with it.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Stirex
Bring it on. We have at least 1 solid track that is getting decent turn outs.
Where and what dates?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:02 AM
Tech Rookie

See I had my heart set on the XT9. Then the NT48, then back to the XT9 then the NT48 ...
I'm taking a chance with the CF parts. I'm going XT9!!! If it breaks, it breaks.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 AM

well if you got any one got one ask them for a drive of a nt48 I like that over the xt9
Old 07-23-2014, 12:53 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Stirex View Post
Where and what dates?
Next race is 8/16/14. Gates open at 5pm racing starts at 7pm we are usually don't around 12:30-1am

Central Valley Raceway (CVR)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6106...group_activity

Sorry to hijack