Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Savage x f4.6 cutting off after WOT >

Savage x f4.6 cutting off after WOT

Savage x f4.6 cutting off after WOT

Old 07-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Savage x f4.6 cutting off after WOT

Hi!
Im new to this forum, and nitro cars in general. Got my first nitro car a few weeks ago and got about half a gallon through the engine.

Got some real trouble tuning the engine, the problem is the idle adjustment. Maybe a combination of the LSN and idle screw? I dont know.

Anyway the problem is that i cant have a low stable idle without the engine cutting after WOT (after i let the throttle off). I can adjust the idle so that the engine wont cut off, but then it will be way to high and engaging the clutch.

Dont know if it really matters, but after i let go of the throttle and at those times the engine doesnt stop, the idle drops instantly very low and then rises back up to where i set it to be.

This happens very often, and gets very annoying as i cant figure it out!
Hope anyone here can help me out

Could not link the entire youtube link, but you can use this to get there. Didnt even go WOT here. Turn up ur volume to hear the engine.

/watch?v=jBV-3l_3hXA&list=UUQcKrQeDa9OFOknMngFTk6A

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by foslanden; 07-19-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Anyone knows what im doing wrong? Anything?

Also i found a small leak on the pinch bolt that i recently sealed up, but didnt change anything with this problem.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Sounds like your tuning is off. Set the carb idle gap to about .7mm and check the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWvlEAWVBEM
Old 07-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah the tuning is not good. Recently started tuning for performance after breakin. This problem have been there since it was new, so ive been driving it with a high idle just to get it broken in.
Videos like this doesnt really help me in this case, cuz thats really just showing extreme lean and rich settings of the engine.
My car seems to be running very good at full throttle. Also running fine at idle. But cutting off sometimes after i let go of the throttle.

Also ive never tuned a nitro engine before. But ive been reading alot about it, and watching tons of videos. Not that it helps anyway :P
Old 07-20-2014, 02:41 AM
Tech Adept

Do you have a temp gun? What kind of heat are you building in the motor? It could be the sleeve is over pinched and it's really mechanically tight and when you let off the throttle it locks up and stops.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tug Driver View Post
Do you have a temp gun? What kind of heat are you building in the motor? It could be the sleeve is over pinched and it's really mechanically tight and when you let off the throttle it locks up and stops.
What do you mean with the sleeve is over pinched?

Ill check the temp next time im out driving.

Last edited by foslanden; 07-20-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Change the glow plug
Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rubiconon37's View Post
Change the glow plug
Already done that.

But found out something. The problem was that the idle would drop very low, and the engine stops because of that, before the idle had time to rise up again.

So i read on some other forum to richen the LSN. The engine seems to run fine i guess, but the LSN is like 1,1/2 rich from factory settings? I sense there is something wrong, or could it actually be set that lean at factory settings (flush)?

Last edited by foslanden; 07-22-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

Watch the engine tuning video on YouTube with Paul and Cody King. "The number one mistake rookie tuners make is to have a rich LSN which disguises a lean HSN"