R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Dad passing down the hobby (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/825690-dad-passing-down-hobby.html)

ADH8595 07-19-2014 12:56 AM

Dad passing down the hobby

So my dad used to race pretty much anytime he could get away from work and loved it, but with time he got away from it and instead of letting his buggy and savage collect dust anymore I decided i would take them off his hands and get them running again. The buggy is the 2004 Xray XB8 and the savage is the Savage 25. I have already gotten the XB8 put back together and running again and I am in the process of getting the savage back together. My question is whether or not these models are too out of date to find aftermarket parts for and if not then where is the best place to find them.

stoney452 07-19-2014 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ADH8595 (Post 13410455)
So my dad used to race pretty much anytime he could get away from work and loved it, but with time he got away from it and instead of letting his buggy and savage collect dust anymore I decided i would take them off his hands and get them running again. The buggy is the 2004 Xray XB8 and the savage is the Savage 25. I have already gotten the XB8 put back together and running again and I am in the process of getting the savage back together. My question is whether or not these models are too out of date to find aftermarket parts for and if not then where is the best place to find them.

go to ebay and put each car in search bar for parts and you can also go to Amainhobbies.com to look for parts they are good source for older cars and trucks michael

nitroexpress 07-19-2014 08:49 PM

Here's some parts. Try using your search engine (Google, etc.) and plug in a part number or description.

http://www.absolutehobbyz.com/index....r_id=26&page=2

Tug Driver 07-20-2014 01:46 AM

I have an original savage ss (2004) kit and it's still a beast! I've even got the original Cvd's with left hand thread left side axles in it. Nothing wrong with it, and most savage x parts fit it. I have a savage x radio box and cam style steering servo waiting to go into mine. Other than adding aluminum parts which add weigh and remove durability, the thing is bullet proof the way it is. Go beat the piss out of it and enjoy it.

I'm also just learning how to run on a track and eventually race with my 9.5 buggy which came out in the early 2000's. Run your buggy, there is nothing wrong with it. Just remember this, it's 95% the driver and until the car is holding you back, learn how to set it up and tune it and learn the most you can from it.

Goomba_7 07-21-2014 10:12 AM

I don't know what kind of hop ups you are looking for on your vehicles. But in regards to the Xray XB8, more of the parts anyone was buying for that vehicle was to just keep it running. Meaning it didn't need after market parts to perform well. And Honestly with Savage I'd only replace broken Items as the previous posters mentioned adding all the aluminium do-dads on the truck only added more weight and less durability.

In my mind keep them as stock as needed, if it has a weak point and an aftermarket part improved it's performance or durability then do it. If it doesn't offer either, leave it alone.

If you have no experience driving RC's or Racing them and that's your intention then learning to Drive is the best Hop-up you can do.

Good luck

SManMTB 07-21-2014 12:55 PM

The XB8 doesn't need any aftermarket hop-ups. Just run it and replace worn parts.
I used to race the XB8EC and it handled good. Almost too many tuning options. Still got the rollers and tons of spares at hand.

Send a PM if you're looking for anything particular.