Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Tekno NT48 or Durango DNX408T >

Tekno NT48 or Durango DNX408T

Tekno NT48 or Durango DNX408T

Old 07-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Tekno NT48 or Durango DNX408T

Hello guys,

I am looking to get into truggy racing. I will probably need to re-learn how to drive coming from the Revos but I learn quick. I have read and read through threads on the current truggy models and currently have selected these two models.

I am looking for comparison on durability, easy of use, parts availability, customer service and of course performance experience between these two.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The NT48 is amazing. Tekno customer service is top notch. Easy to work on, parts are always in stock at Teknorc.com and it is super fast on the track.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I would browse the threads below. It should give you a better idea on what route you want to go.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...8t-truggy.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...48-thread.html
Old 07-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

NT48 will perform better for the average racer. I ran a DNX408T last summer and it was OK. The Tekno NT48 out performs the DNX408T in every area IMO. Tekno suport is very good and parts are usually available all the time.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:59 PM

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my mate runs a et48 and he just love the thing that much he is going to get the nitro version and race it as well as my friend has had oh most every brand out there and he found that tekno is so much better and forgiven then all brand he had so yeah I would pick the tekno nt48 as I will be going too one as he doing
Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

My experience is this... I raced my Mugen truggies against a few Durango truggies last season. I helped some of my competitors fixing the Durango truggies often. Too often. Brake and throttle linkage is over engineered. Too many times I watched him finish races without brakes. The rear driveshaft angle is crazy and wears the pins out really quick. It was always breaking there, or just coming apart and the pin walking out. I temped the rear Cvd on the rear diff once it was almost 400 degrees after a 25 minute main. I now run tekno nt48, and I feel I can say its the fastest and most durable truggy out there. You won't be sorry!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JohnEldredge View Post
I temped the rear Cvd on the rear diff once it was almost 400 degrees after a 25 minute main.
really? I think you temp gun is a little off.....
Old 07-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Durango Truggy has issues. The upwards/sideways angle of the rear CVD wreaks havoc and engines have a hard time getting it moving. I have seen quite a few people ditch it including Savoya and Fischer so that should speak for itself. Maybe they will get it figured out someday with a complete new design. I still think its the coolest looking Truggy by far though. Love the wing too.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Durango Truggy has issues. The upwards/sideways angle of the rear CVD wreaks havoc and engines have a hard time getting it moving. I have seen quite a few people ditch it including Savoya and Fischer so that should speak for itself. Maybe they will get it figured out someday with a complete new design. I still think its the coolest looking Truggy by far though. Love the wing too.
Savoya and Fischer did not leave Durango because of the truggy, there were other things that came into play for them to make that decision. Keep in mind that Lutz finished on the podium in Nitro Truggy at both the 2013 and 2014 ROAR Fuel Off-Road Nationals, so the DNX408T is very capable of going fast.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JohnEldredge View Post
My experience is this... I raced my Mugen truggies against a few Durango truggies last season. I helped some of my competitors fixing the Durango truggies often. Too often. Brake and throttle linkage is over engineered. Too many times I watched him finish races without brakes. The rear driveshaft angle is crazy and wears the pins out really quick. It was always breaking there, or just coming apart and the pin walking out. I temped the rear Cvd on the rear diff once it was almost 400 degrees after a 25 minute main. I now run tekno nt48, and I feel I can say its the fastest and most durable truggy out there. You won't be sorry!
My issue this past Sunday looks to be the clunk in the fuel tank. I guess I could have just kept pitting early as it runs fine for the 1st 3/4 of a tank.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

And savoya's time at TD was a mere blip on the radar. The truggy wasn't even in existence when he was at TD. Only reason he left was because he was playing 2nd fiddle to Lutz who is their top driver and XRAY offered him the opportunity to spearhead the 1/8 program as their no.1 driver. Its all about business for these drivers - same goes for Fischer joining TLR

No reflection on the 408T, perfectly capable truggy. Any car will have wear over time, the NT48 will be no different (time will tell as it's only been out for a few months).

Almost every kit on the market has it's own shortcomings - the reported issues of breaking spur gears on the NT48 thread for example (more than just one person reporting the issue) etc etc

Alot of people on this forum will always try tell you to buy 'X' or 'Y' brand and badmouth other brands for no good reason (especially when they don't or never have owned said brand they're slagging off)

Both appear to be good truggies - Just read the threads on each, see what the advantages and disadvantages are and pick the one that fancies you OP

Good luck

Last edited by wombat; 07-17-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wombat View Post
And savoya's time at TD was a mere blip on the radar - the truggy platform wasn't even in existence when Reno was at TD (nor did he run truggy). Only reason he left was because he was playing 2nd fiddle to Lutz who is their top driver and XRAY offered him the opportunity to spearhead the 1/8 program as their no.1 driver. Its all about business for these drivers - same goes for Fischer joining TLR

Please don't say things you don't know to be fact.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Which part? Thought you were TD's top driver? Savoya didn't appear to do too well with the 408's, maybe the car wasn't suited to him.... he moved on pretty quickly in less than a year into a reported 3 year contract.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wombat View Post
Which part? Thought you were TD's top driver?
The part about why Savaoya and Fisher left. I'm not at liberty to discuss why but I can assure you it wasn't because of them playing 2nd fiddle to me.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DRCRacer299 View Post
The part about why Savaoya and Fisher left. I'm not at liberty to discuss why but I can assure you it wasn't because of them playing 2nd fiddle to me.
Fair enough - I would assume that it was all on good terms nevertheless. It was a generalised comment.....

But you have to admit that the TD marketing strategy/presence at races/race reports on neobuggy etc in the last 3-4 years always make you out to be their no.1 driver (for 1/8 anyway) given your results with the car - you can see why it appeared to me to be the case.

BTW the '2nd fiddle' reference wasn't necessarily implying the team order at TD, moreso the lack-lustre results RS achieved driving the 408 at the time in which he stated he was not able to gel with the car as well as he'd hoped

Last edited by wombat; 07-17-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: last comment