3 needle carb

Old 07-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 3 needle carb

Hi all, I am sure that someone has asked this before but what is the 3rd needle for? I have a newer OS that has a 3 needle carb on it, I know what the low and high speed needles are for I just cant figure out what the 3rd is for. any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

it's for mid range adjustment, not for the rookie tuner they can be a real pain.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2fastphil View Post
it's for mid range adjustment, not for the rookie tuner they can be a real pain.
What he said. Dont touch it. Get some Grey RTV and put a dab over it so you cant see it. This will make you forget it is there and then you wont have issues
Old 07-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

If you get to the point that you can actually tune the 3rd needle it's used to adjust the spray bar in the carb throat. When you tune the 3rd needle, you turn it in sequence with the low range. What that means is you turn the mid 1/4 turn and the low 1/4 turn in the same direction. What your actually doing is moving the spray bar in the carb throat.

Like everyone else says, leave it alone and forget about it. 99.9% of us aren't good enough to notice the change it will make.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ok will do. I am somewhat inexperienced in tuning and didn't want to screw something up. glad I asked. thanks