Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Brakes and servo torque >

Brakes and servo torque

Brakes and servo torque

Old 07-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default Brakes and servo torque

I have a savox servo with 16kg of torque for my throttle/brake.
Is this too much for a buggy? See slot of people running about 12kg?
Seems to be a fine line between progress braking and then locked out brakes! Like a few millimetres of travel on my throttle stick on the TX lol!
Is ot brake setup or is my servo overkill?
Thanks guys
Old 07-04-2014, 01:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by zonda View Post
I have a savox servo with 16kg of torque for my throttle/brake.
Is this too much for a buggy? See slot of people running about 12kg?
Seems to be a fine line between progress braking and then locked out brakes! Like a few millimetres of travel on my throttle stick on the TX lol!
Is ot brake setup or is my servo overkill?
Thanks guys
I have burned and damaged way to many servos (12kg) and switched over to 20kg (same as my steering servo). Maybe the throttle return spring is too strong, but I'd rather have a stronger servo to compensate for the constant pull of return spring than blow the engine.

The 20kg is slower than the 12kg servo but I haven't felt a difference in throttle or brake response times that affected my handling. If you go neobuggy and check the "under the hood" section you will see what servos the pro's are running and their servos are all high voltage, extremely strong and very fast.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ZA_Fourie View Post
I have burned and damaged way to many servos (12kg) and switched over to 20kg (same as my steering servo). Maybe the throttle return spring is too strong, but I'd rather have a stronger servo to compensate for the constant pull of return spring than blow the engine.

The 20kg is slower than the 12kg servo but I haven't felt a difference in throttle or brake response times that affected my handling. If you go neobuggy and check the "under the hood" section you will see what servos the pro's are running and their servos are all high voltage, extremely strong and very fast.
Thanks, Will check out neobuggy. I think the servo is more than up to the job. The throttle return spring is fairly stiff but like I said the servo has enough torque that the wheels completely lock when breaking. I barely have to pull back on the throttle stick. Maybe I should try longer or softer springs on the break linkages. It tends be more "on or off" rather than a progressive feel.
Thanks
Rob
Old 07-04-2014, 05:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would rather have a stronger servo too, just make sure to set your end points properly with your physical adjustments so the servo isnt trying to pull past full lock. You may be able to adjust the expo rates on your transmitter too.

Last edited by Brokenparts; 07-04-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

12kg is a bit light for a 1/8th buggy, even 15kg is borderline to be honest. I use 20kg+ HV servos in mine. Burned out too many lower torque servos in my life to know that its not worth running lower torque servos in off road.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Tech Adept

If you have trouble setting your brakes, use springs instead of fuel tube as a brake damper, so you get nicely progressive brake feel. You can use a cut up throttle spring or specific springs such as the ofna brake spring. Paint a line or several lines on your wheels and you'll be able to see exactly when they lock up and which axle locks up first. You can also use (if your radio has it) a brake jump to get half your braking when you simply tap the brake, I do this to jump over the brake play that lets the car roll freely and still get immediate braking (not yet locking up) just as soon as I touch the brake.

Check out these pics to see my brake setup: http://www.neobuggy.net/2014/06/28/u...in-frischkopf/
Old 07-05-2014, 01:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RobinCH View Post
If you have trouble setting your brakes, use springs instead of fuel tube as a brake damper, so you get nicely progressive brake feel. You can use a cut up throttle spring or specific springs such as the ofna brake spring. Paint a line or several lines on your wheels and you'll be able to see exactly when they lock up and which axle locks up first. You can also use (if your radio has it) a brake jump to get half your braking when you simply tap the brake, I do this to jump over the brake play that lets the car roll freely and still get immediate braking (not yet locking up) just as soon as I touch the brake.

Check out these pics to see my brake setup: http://www.neobuggy.net/2014/06/28/u...in-frischkopf/
Hi Robin,

Brake jump, is this a specific function? Or is it brake expo dialled to Positive?

Thanks for sharing your tips.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:36 AM
Tech Adept

On some radios it's called acceleration, on others jump or something similar. But not all radios have it though. As soon as you touch the brakes the servo basically jumps right to the position you've set as fast as it can, sort of like a dead zone. After the jump it will then be linear or exponential, however you've set that channel. I only ever use expo when my steering is too twitchy on high-grip tracks, on throttle and brakes I never do.
I might make a video to demonstrate but first I have to put my car back together.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RobinCH View Post
On some radios it's called acceleration, on others jump or something similar. But not all radios have it though. As soon as you touch the brakes the servo basically jumps right to the position you've set as fast as it can, sort of like a dead zone. After the jump it will then be linear or exponential, however you've set that channel. I only ever use expo when my steering is too twitchy on high-grip tracks, on throttle and brakes I never do.
I might make a video to demonstrate but first I have to put my car back together.
Thanks for the clarification Robin. Once you have put your car together, if you could make a video to demonstrate this feature it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.