Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Really, Redcat? >

Really, Redcat?

Really, Redcat?

Old 07-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Really, Redcat?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I'm sure anyone who's had the experience of working on one of these things can identify with me. Yesterday a customer brought in a Redcat Earthquake 3.5 to be repaired and broken in. The repair was to the pull start; it's string yanked out the first time the dude pulled on it. Not often a car comes in for repair that hasn't ever been started, but he had ordered the replacement pull start from Redcat. I took the car in the back, took the body off and braced myself for a brush with slipshod engineering and poor quality materials. Two of the engine mount bolts stripped, so I had to take the engine off the mounts from above, and the heat sink had to be removed to get to them. One of them stripped and had to be dremelled and backed out with a slot (not easy when the thing is still installed in the car) I went to remove the pull start and noticed that two of its screws were already stripped necessitating the replacement of the motor's back plate. I put the new pull start up to the back of the engine and it was totally wrong. Wrong flange, wrong screw hole placement- No hope of getting it to work. And the coil almost flew out of it when I got it out of the bag. I called the dude and told him what was up with it- He called me back and told me about his phone conversation with Redcat, who basically told him they sent him the wrong pull start because they didn't have the right one in stock. Working on these cars and dealing with the company that produces them is enough to take the fun out of this job- temporarily, anyway. They aren't exactly cheap, either. For a 20% premium over the cost of this beater, the guy could have gotten something rad. Sucks.

Last edited by Evetts Models; 07-02-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 07-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes Sir....4 years ago I started Rc cars.....flying planes for years.
But some guys I work with were into racing.....So being a noob and thinking I could save a few bucks....myself and a buddy bought 2 redcats from ebay.
Now not being a complete idiot...we did some research.....
There is a breaking redcats vid on you tube that makes you think oh yea this is it.........
I almost quit Rc cars because of this...complete JUNK!!!!
Expensive learning for sure....
I think products like this are why there are so many anti-nitro guys....
Old 07-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Tech Initiate

As you said they are a pain to work on. On the other hand you are lucky the guy who took it in understands the fact that it's all poor kit quality issues, we had some problems at the shop with clients who didn't understand why their Redcats kept breaking
Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To each their own... I'm racing my Hurricane/RXB-1 and holding my own at the track. My most reliable engine is in my MTR-3, same chassis as the Redcat 3.5s. I will agree that the screws are too soft, though. I replace them with ones from Ace when they cause trouble.

Good luck fixing that car. Call or email them. I'm not discounting your bad experience, but they've always been quick to help me out.