Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What does "clone" mean? >

What does "clone" mean?

What does "clone" mean?

Old 06-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What does "clone" mean?

I'll have to ask this here because I couldn't find an on topic RC chat section anywhere. Since I'm getting more familiar with the nitro off road than any where else, I'm going to start my dumb question here:

What does it mean, when someone describes a car as a clone or they're claiming it to not be a clone?

I saw this twice today: one where the guy has an HPI 5B for sale and he says it's not a clone and the other where a guy says his OFNA for sale is a clone.

In reference to this, what does this mean?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mercfocus View Post
I'll have to ask this here because I couldn't find an on topic RC chat section anywhere. Since I'm getting more familiar with the nitro off road than any where else, I'm going to start my dumb question here:

What does it mean, when someone describes a car as a clone or they're claiming it to not be a clone?

I saw this twice today: one where the guy has an HPI 5B for sale and he says it's not a clone and the other where a guy says his OFNA for sale is a clone.

In reference to this, what does this mean?

An exact copy
Old 06-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rc skyline View Post
An exact copy
So what does that mean?

Is it like counterfeit?
Old 06-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Clone
noun \ˈklōn\

biology : a plant or animal that is grown from one cell of its parent and that has exactly the same genes as its parent

: a product (such as a computer) that is a copy of another product produced by a well-known company

: a person or thing that appears to be an exact copy of another person or thing
Full Definition of CLONE
a : the aggregate of genetically identical cells or organisms asexually produced by a single progenitor cell or organism
b : an individual grown from a single somatic cell or cell nucleus and genetically identical to it
c : a group of replicas of all or part of a macromolecule and especially DNA <clones of identical recombinant DNA sequences>
: one that appears to be a copy of an original form : duplicate <a clone of a personal computer>
— clon·al adjective
— clon·al·ly adverb
Old 06-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

interchangeable parts under a different manufacturer / model
Old 06-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There is a couple ways to take clone. It's all dependent on the context.

So if someone claims Car A looks like a clone of Car B, they are saying it looks like it is identically design/made/constructed the same way as the competition.

Another to use the word clone is that Charger A is a Clone of Charger B, meaning that it could be made from the same manufacturer by with different labeling on the surface.

Or in Star Wars, a clone is Storm Trooper, which in the history of Star Wars, DNA from Jango Fett was used in the creation of exact copies of Jango Fett to create the Republic Army made of Clones.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
interchangeable parts under a different manufacturer / model
Thank you, that's what I was looking for. I kinda suspected that but just wasn't sure.

Goomba_7, yours was helpful too. And further on, by the time the Death Star was made, the Empire had to pursue other avenues for newer clones because of copy degradation which is why the Stormtroopers in episodes 4,5, and 6 couldn't compare to the battle aptitude of the prequel clones. In other words, a half dozen EP2 clones could easily kick ass on some EP4 Stormtroopers (clones). The Stormtroopers weren't cloned from Jengo but a variety of others not always clearly defined in the Star Wars Universe: Books, comics, video games, and other such sources.

Chris Reilly, you weren't much help at all. I could have done that myself but I already knew a Google or Webster's definition was not relevant to the RC world but thanks for trying. You get an E for effort.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Most of the time, clones aren't that good. Mostly due to the fact that they are mainly from companies in china that just blatantly copy models and use poor quality materials. There are a hundred different copies of the HPI Baja, but only a few have the ability to copy the quality. The rest use softer or brittle plastic, low quality bendy aluminum, and pot metal steels.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:09 AM
Tech Champion

There are clones and there are OEM's

To me a real clone is an un-licenced copy, most of the time made in Asia. But there are a lot of OEM's which are seen as a clone but aren't clones.

OEM is nothing more than a different brandname sharing the same original manufacturer.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

clone=cheap wanna be=Kim Kardashian..
Old 06-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NDHotbodies View Post
clone=cheap wanna be=Kim Kardashian..
What's worse?

There are people out there trying to clone themselves like Kim K.

So that would be a clone of a clone?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:55 AM
Suspended

The first one is a brand one. The second one is a clone.