Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Ryan Maifield quitting Associated for TLR ? >

Ryan Maifield quitting Associated for TLR ?

Ryan Maifield quitting Associated for TLR ?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:27 AM
  #1  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 59
Default Ryan Maifield quitting Associated for TLR ?

“Gossip in the pits this past weekend mentioned something of a possible departure from Team Associated by Ryan Maifield following the event.”

http://www.rcnews.net/2014/06/24/wor...ifield-to-tlr/
Philipm is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 06:40 AM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (31)
 
offroad dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,069
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

He should have been left. However, if this is true it's going to be real hard for Associated to replace that type of talent that Ryan possess.
offroad dude is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 06:56 AM
  #3  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Bugman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Port Reading n.j.
Posts: 229
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I highly doubt he will leave associated.1/8 is a small part of AE,s racing program, I assume him hanging around TlR,s pit area is that he has switched to Novarossi and Adam Drake has been running them forever.But hell who knows I never thought Hara would leave HPI.
Bugman is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 AM
  #4  
Tech Master
iTrader: (11)
 
captain america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,671
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I wouldn't be surprised if the rumor were true. I have no vendetta against Associated, but the fact that they couldn't determine that their now stillborn successor to the RC8.2 was a lemon BEFORE taking it public gives one pause with regards to their competence and/or judgement. Add to this the fact that AE is one of the biggest names in RC, second perhaps only to Kyosho in terms of experience and resources, then you really have to wonder if they're even trying at all or just coasting.

Speaking as an entrepreneur, you have to contain and stop the brain rot fast, otherwise it demotivates your entire team and then your talent jumps ship because ultra-competitive people won't stand for being pegged second-best.
captain america is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 AM
  #5  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
BillyT.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,912
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

All about that check. Maifield isn't going to take a pay cut for the chance to drive what one might perceive as a "faster car". He won't leave till AE cuts his budget.

Assuming there is no way that TLR would match what he gets from AE... If they want him bad enough, then who knows... But this only works if they want *him*, not the other way around. And since we are still on the heels of TLRs budget cuts... I just don't see it.

Or hell, maybe he is independently wealthy and doesn't need the money from AE...
BillyT. is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 AM
  #6  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 423
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by captain america View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the rumor were true. I have no vendetta against Associated, but the fact that they couldn't determine that their now stillborn successor to the RC8.2 was a lemon BEFORE taking it public gives one pause with regards to their competence and/or judgement. Add to this the fact that AE is one of the biggest names in RC, second perhaps only to Kyosho in terms of experience and resources, then you really have to wonder if they're even trying at all or just coasting.

Speaking as an entrepreneur, you have to contain and stop the brain rot fast, otherwise it demotivates your entire team and then your talent jumps ship because ultra-competitive people won't stand for being pegged second-best.
I've been wondering why Associated isn't on par with Kyosho. Knowledge and resource aren't the issue so, as you stated, it has to be the effort. Some one at AE isn't lighting the fire, it may just in the 1/8 department but this will spread throughout the company.

A lot of new companies coming up because the old guys have stalled. If a 7 year old car is the standard, you know you need innovation.
Silo is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 AM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Carranza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eastvale, Ca.
Posts: 2,079
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BillyT. View Post
All about that check. Maifield isn't going to take a pay cut for the chance to drive what one might perceive as a "faster car". He won't leave till AE cuts his budget.

Assuming there is no way that TLR would match what he gets from AE... If they want him bad enough, then who knows... But this only works if they want *him*, not the other way around. And since we are still on the heels of TLRs budget cuts... I just don't see it.

Or hell, maybe he is independently wealthy and doesn't need the money from AE...
Or maybe those budget cuts were for this very moment?
Carranza76 is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 08:54 AM
  #8  
Tech Master
iTrader: (55)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,563
Trader Rating: 55 (98%+)
Default

I think this ties with Orions big announcement saying they will be bringing a new "super star" to the team in july. If ryan leaves ae he would have to drop reedy so he would probably go to orion.... Just a thought when i first heard about this
LETSDRIVE!! is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 AM
  #9  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 855
Default

I heard there going to merge all 1/8 companys together. There be 1 car so now it comes down to the driver...... oh wait that's Nascar
pdmustgt is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 11:35 AM
  #10  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cincinnati, oh
Posts: 872
Default

Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
I heard there going to merge all 1/8 companys together. There be 1 car so now it comes down to the driver...... oh wait that's Nascar
So true!lol!!!
Micah78 is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 11:56 AM
  #11  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (54)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: D/FW Texas
Posts: 895
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Just think, all the "Hey guys, which one should I get" posts would stop.
w_dupree is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 PM
  #12  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Here comes the Boom!
Jason Snyder is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 12:10 PM
  #13  
Tech Master
iTrader: (56)
 
jpz_67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Texas.
Posts: 1,892
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by w_dupree View Post
Just think, all the "Hey guys, which one should I get" posts would stop.

jpz_67 is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 12:53 PM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
Brandon Melton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 2,506
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I heard this other guy was also leaving his team, LeBron something or another, what's his name??

It ain't about the $$, Miami has enough to pay him, maybe he is opting out to go somewhere he feels he can win NOW, and maybe he feels that chance may be cloudy.

Maybe the same for RM, but I don't speculate, ask questions or at the end of the day honestly care about his PERSONAL career decisions. I have been die hard blue for years now, and it will majorly SUCK, but will wish him the best whatever direction he goes.

To whoever said it's about dollar bills, only partly, the man has to make a living, but I can tell you the first thing RM wants to do is WIN!! Period, if he personally feels TLR gives him that best chance to do that right now, then so be it.

If I also read between the lines (and I could be wrong), this tells me that a 1/8 WC could carry more weight to him than a 1/10 WC. He is obviously not struggling to contend for TQ and wins with the B5 and B44.2 platforms.

Hope there isn't a move but if so, best of luck dude!
Brandon Melton is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 12:59 PM
  #15  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (53)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Belleville, MI
Posts: 4,510
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton View Post
I heard this other guy was also leaving his team, LeBron something or another, what's his name??
So... is Ryan taking his "talents" to South Beach?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
nv529 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.