Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Your opinions please, one cleaner-degreaser for everything? >

Your opinions please, one cleaner-degreaser for everything?

Your opinions please, one cleaner-degreaser for everything?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Your opinions please, one cleaner-degreaser for everything?

Have done a bunch of searches and reading and I don't want a bash sesion but am curious what you guys think? If it works good for you, let me know. Have heard denatured alcohol, WD40, simple green, citrus based cleaners. I am new to Nitro and know there will be oil and dust and dirt and so on. Racing on dirt track mainly. Either with radio tray in or out or whatever you guys have to offer for suggestions is much appreciated. Pretty sure I am going to get a reusable chemical sprayer can/bottle to apply. Again, any input is appreciated and I hope the info to follow will be useful to others in the future.
Kris
Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

For the plastics the best cleaner I have used is the purple bottle from upgrade-rc.com. And same for their prep-shine, it's a red can. It goes on thick and a little greasy and you have to wipe it off but I have yet to find anything that sticks to it, even sugar/water/clay slury. I don't see it listed on their website, send them an email. The pink degreaser from trackpower works well too.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

i strip my cars to parts after every race meeting and use simple green and running water to clean the parts. works well on plastics and aluminium.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My go to is simple green for most clean ups. mixed with a bit of water for tires , full strength for the buggy itself. I take the radio tray and engine out and scrub away , then use a shop vac in blower mode to dry it off . I put a few drops of Mobil 1- 0w20 on the cv's just to make sure there is no moisture left in them and I am done.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

i know it might not be manly or hip or cool but I have aircraft style exhaust deflectors on all my nitro models. on the savage its a must to keep the oil off the chassis and right rear suspension. on the buggy it sticks out beyond the track width of the car so might not be legal for racing, but its nice to not have a car all loaded up with oil then paint itself with dust.

I have been experimenting with crc brake cleaner and electrical cleaner. I use the break cleaner on the chassis when it gets oily and the electrical cleaner on the radio tray when the servos get funky
Old 06-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

my goto...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0442&ppt=C0090

Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

First spray it down with simple green and blow that off with an air compressor. Next spray it down with pledge or a similar product and blow it off with an air compressor. The pledge gives it a nice shine that makes it look like new again and repels dust/dirt.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I do see many people using pledge.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Buy a spray bottle and fill it with a mixture of your liking of washing up liquid and water.
Job done simples and cheap...
Old 06-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

I use simple green for everything at the track. Spray on, blow off. I do not spray directly on bearings.

Between race cleanings. I wash using Simple Green, then go through all the bearings and use Nitro Cleaner and use a dab of bearing oil. Car is clean and rolls smooth.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Cleaners

It is all preference and price you want to spend. I have used Kal Gard Prep and Shine (for making everything look new and helps repel dirt), and De Greaser (to clean with). I have recently switched to Simple Green (I buy the concentrate and cut it just a little with water) instead of De Greaser, and both work well. I have to scrub a little with Simple Green on tough spots. Use an air compressor to blow it off (same with Prep and Shine). A lot of pro guys are using Endust or Pledge. Supposed to work the same as a Prep and Shine. Just got a can of Endust, but not raced yet to try it out.

Whatever you choose, it will work fine. Just don't let any of it "soak" for a while. Spray, brush if needed, and blow off real good. Saves lots of time vs doing it at home.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I was using simple green but ran out and i tried Dawn dish washing liquid and it pretty good, been using it ever since. After every race I completely tear the buggy down for maintenance and cleaning. Some people think this is not necessary, but you have to do the maintenance and i like my stuff to be clean.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7ASlKhDxc
Old 06-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by guttley View Post
Buy a spray bottle and fill it with a mixture of your liking of washing up liquid and water.
Job done simples and cheap...
x2 - I take the car apart (radio tray, F & R boxes off the chassis) and use dish washing liquid in a spray bottle - rince carefully with warm water (watching out for the servos and bearings) - dry it off with compressed air - cheap and easy FTW.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by miket View Post
After every race I completely tear the buggy down for maintenance and cleaning. Some people think this is not necessary, but you have to do the maintenance and i like my stuff to be clean.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.