Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
motor sutting for 2 years with fuel and no after run oil... >

motor sutting for 2 years with fuel and no after run oil...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

motor sutting for 2 years with fuel and no after run oil...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default motor sitting for 2 years with fuel and no after run oil...

What do I need to do before I start it up again??

Last edited by wantboost; 06-17-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Depends on where it was sitting! But is prob toast!! Or what's going to happen is you'll start it and it will run, prob ok, but it prob won't last more than a gallon or 2......i could be wrong .....goodluck
Old 06-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

i put wd40 inside and leave it there for a few minutes and then i use my air compressor to remove excessive and new spark plug depends of the engine my engines are o.s good quality the start like new
Old 06-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Putting WD40 in there is a horrible idea! Just put some caster oil (an oil that the engine can burn) in the glow plug hole and spin the engine back and forth until it feels smooth again. Should fire right up, but you'll need to put a new glow plug in it as soon as the engine cleans itself out with the fuel.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

What's castor oil
Old 06-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wantboost
What's castor oil
Castor oil is a natural oil that is used in some brands in model engine fuel. It has a high flash point so it doesn't burn as easy as synthetic oil does. Most hobby shops keep castor on the shelf as a lot of guy (mostly model airplane flyers) like to mix their own fuel.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wantboost
What's castor oil
You can find it at places like Autozone. Too few posts to share a link, but search TowerHobbies "Castor Oil" and you'll see an example.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:27 AM
Tech Adept

If the engine is stuck it's because the fuel evaporated and the sticky oil tacked everything together. If you flood the engine with fuel again it will loosen everything back up. I had a force .28 sit for 4 years. The piston was stuck and the pull start pin was stuck in it's hole. I heated the pin with a small torch and it built pressure behind it (like a piston) and forced it out to sheer I could clean it up. The fuel freed the stuck piston and it rolled right over.

It's not uncommon for an engine even properly stored with after run oil to lock up after a few years. I have a few aircraft engines that are locked up solid, carb barrel and all. They are next on my list of engines to get going, but will take a little bit more tinkering.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Using WD40 to free an engine is perfectly fine. It can even be used as an after run oil. Just flush the bearings out with it or some new fuel. You could even let it soak for an hour or two. Just remember to coat everything on some sort of light oil before you fire it up again for the first time.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

I actually run a rb ws7 that sat for 6 years (maybe more) . All I did was take off the back plate , and the glow plug and run a can of "mass air cleaner" from the auto parts store through it till it freed up. Then , I used mobile 1 0-20 to lube things on start up . Runs great ...
Old 06-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hoese37
Using WD40 to free an engine is perfectly fine. It can even be used as an after run oil. Just flush the bearings out with it or some new fuel. You could even let it soak for an hour or two. Just remember to coat everything on some sort of light oil before you fire it up again for the first time.
Except if the crank is filled with silicone. The WD40 breaks down the silicone insert.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

You can just use the fuel your going to use and let it sit in the engine. Take the plug out and fill up the engine thro the carb and let it sit. After about 30mins you can lightly turn the crank to help work the dried up oil loose. Let it continue to sit for another 30mins then flush with new fuel a few times and good to go.

The only other thing is you might have oil build up in the needles so you could take the carb off and soak it in fuel too
Old 06-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Tech Adept

ive had this happen several times. what i do is remove the head, bsckplate, and carb and let soak in nitro submerged for a day. Reassemble, seal, and voila. hope it works and runs!