Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Reedy 121 VR-ST: still really tight. >

Reedy 121 VR-ST: still really tight.

Reedy 121 VR-ST: still really tight.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Reedy 121 VR-ST: still really tight.

Does anybody have any experiences with the Associated/Reedy 121 VR-ST?

Seems retarded to me. I'm at almost a gallon through this and it still needs the engine heater to start. If I try to start without it, it just gets stuck. It unsticks easy enough but having to connect to my 12V car battery all the time and run at 1 spot I know of where I can do that is really starting to suck.

My Hyper 21 with all its issues didn't take this long to get past that.

Other issue I'm having with this is tuning. It seems to want rich settings still. I can see the oil spitting out the pipe when at idle and running but if I try to lean just a little, it starts to get too hot.

It just seems to have a very specific spot in the needles or it doesn't run at all. Ran good all day but I'm just getting tired of all this special set up and it don't seem to be getting better any time soon.
Attached Thumbnails Reedy 121 VR-ST: still really tight.-dsc05703.jpg   Reedy 121 VR-ST: still really tight.-dsc05701.jpg   Reedy 121 VR-ST: still really tight.-dsc07182.jpg   Reedy 121 VR-ST: still really tight.-dsc07188.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014, 11:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Whats too hot? The ones I had liked to be run about 280 and up.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hoese37 View Post
Whats too hot? The ones I had liked to be run about 280 and up.
WOW! 280???

Are you serious?

Glad to hear it though.

I've been 260 is too hot.

Have been keeping it around 230-240 as much as possible.

Break-in was perfect: 190-205. First 2 tank run-in was aslo perfect: Pretty much exactly 200.

So if this is a naturally hotter running engine, then should I start tuning for what? about 260-270 just to be safe?
Old 06-14-2014, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

That's a good start. My experience and what I was told from the regional team manager to just keep it under 300.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You are going to love that motor.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:42 AM
kek
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BlueStreakOne View Post
I loved it whilst it worked. They work great whilst they are working.
I had about 4 of them go at about 10L mark.

The clip that holds the pin to conrod goes. The clip gave way on all the engines and scored the piston and sleeve.

All 4 engines were used by 3 different people.

I still have one more brand new engine that I can't be bothered with and a rebuild kit for it.

Good luck with it.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Tech Addict

Note that if you change out the piston pin, it seems to alleviate the problem of the clip going. Change the piston pin to the one from the original Reedy 121 VR engine and it should be good.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:14 PM
kek
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Goomba_7 View Post
Note that if you change out the piston pin, it seems to alleviate the problem of the clip going. Change the piston pin to the one from the original Reedy 121 VR engine and it should be good.
Had a friend with the original one, and same prob happened there too.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:30 AM
Tech Addict

Wait, what???

The pin needs to be changed?

At what point should I do this?

Sounds like the little clips come out.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BlueStreakOne View Post
Actually, ya, it's seemingly coming to life. Really start to kick a**.

Still can't start it without external heat source but I've started tuning it for around 260ish and it's coming to life. So far, my fastest car.

I need to find a good driver to drive my Nova Rossi powered OFNA Picco to race em and see what happens.

But this thing I'm reading on here about the pin coming undone is bothersome.

Here's some pics from this last Father's day Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails Reedy 121 VR-ST: still really tight.-dsc07278.jpg   Reedy 121 VR-ST: still really tight.-dsc07364.jpg   Reedy 121 VR-ST: still really tight.-dsc07379.jpg   Reedy 121 VR-ST: still really tight.-dsc07327.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mercfocus View Post
Wait, what???

The pin needs to be changed?

At what point should I do this?

Sounds like the little clips come out.
I was told to change it out right away.

Let me explain my experience with this engine. I purchased one right when it was released. In fact I had is pre ordered. I installed it broke it in slowly. Took it the track the following weekend and attempted to race with it. I put maybe three tanks on it that day, Three practice runs before the heats started. During the last practice run it wasn't running worth crap. I basically through the day away and went to hobby shop and picked up another and just started breaking it in the rest of the day. Came back the following weekend but this time it made it through two race weekends and then same thing. Both times the pin clip let loose. I sent both engines in and Reedy sent me two new ones. I was reluctant to even put them in the buggy. After a year and a half letting them sit I ran into a guy who claimed he had been using them the last two years and all he did was change out the pin right away to the 121 VR pin. And he would get 10-12 gallons on the engines.

So recently I changed the pin, but I have yet to race it, I broke it in and waited for my current engine to die before putting it in. But it is time now. I just need get to a race now. Life has gotten in the way.

So I can't tell you this is the end all be all fix but it's what I've heard not only from a horses mouth but I've seen it on the net as well.

I wish everyone the best with their ST's because I see the potential in the engine, my luck with it just has not been good. If you don't take my advice with the pin, just keep a back up engine in the box cause I wouldn't want to see anyone's weekend end because of this.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

I was told to change it out right away.

Let me explain my experience with this engine. I purchased one right when it was released. In fact I had is pre ordered. I installed it broke it in slowly. Took it the track the following weekend and attempted to race with it. I put maybe three tanks on it that day, Three practice runs before the heats started. During the last practice run it wasn't running worth crap. I basically through the day away and went to hobby shop and picked up another and just started breaking it in the rest of the day. Came back the following weekend but this time it made it through two race weekends and then same thing. Both times the pin clip let loose. I sent both engines in and Reedy sent me two new ones. I was reluctant to even put them in the buggy. After a year and a half letting them sit I ran into a guy who claimed he had been using them the last two years and all he did was change out the pin right away to the 121 VR pin. And he would get 10-12 gallons on the engines.

So recently I changed the pin, but I have yet to race it, I broke it in and waited for my current engine to die before putting it in. But it is time now. I just need get to a race now. Life has gotten in the way.

So I can't tell you this is the end all be all fix but it's what I've heard not only from a horses mouth but I've seen it on the net as well.

I wish everyone the best with their ST's because I see the potential in the engine, my luck with it just has not been good. If you don't take my advice with the pin, just keep a back up engine in the box cause I wouldn't want to see anyone's weekend end because of this.
The 121 VR pin? My engine IS the 121 VR-ST so does it already have this pin?

My little book with the exploded view shows it has the part #s 28033 for the pin and 28004 for the clips.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The circlip issue was a long time ago. You should be fine. You'll start popping glowplugs very quickly and the engine will sound poor if this were to happen.

The upper rod bushing would stretch FIRST, thus causing the pin to vibrate and move around, causing the clip to get kicked out.

I have probably a hundred gallons experience with the engines, and yes, at 230 it's slow. I never even temped engines, you'll get a feel for what it likes, just tune for a good crisp clean sound, and if it doesn't ring a ping ping after a long throttle pull, your fine ;-).
Old 06-18-2014, 07:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mercfocus View Post
The 121 VR pin? My engine IS the 121 VR-ST so does it already have this pin?

My little book with the exploded view shows it has the part #s 28033 for the pin and 28004 for the clips.
Hey Mercfocus, I think I used #28054 to replace the wrist pin.

Mr. Melton is probably correct, that they fixed the pin issue a while ago. Like I said I've bought them and ran them right when they came out and I'm just getting back to running them.

It's a great engine. If you just bought it I would just run it till it dies. I wouldn't buy new pins or anything. Trust that Reedy fixed their early issues.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Brandon Melton is correct. seen him run these engines ALOT!!

I also have had my share with these engines. 121 vr first release and a vr-st as of recent. Great un-recognized engines. Break-in temps on first reedy i had was around 300* for first gallon. then she cooled down around 250-260. tune to performance as Brandon said. Temperature is only a guide, different engines will respond to drastically different temps on any given day. my conclusion is run it where you think it should perform and disregard temp.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.