Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Savox Servo Issues >

Savox Servo Issues

Savox Servo Issues

Old 06-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Savox Servo Issues

Please take a look at my defective servo and let me know what you think. I've opened up the case and took some photos of the gears and a video showing how the motor spinning without the gears moving. Please click on the links below to see the Photos and Video on my Google Drive.

Photos
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6T...it?usp=sharing

Video

As you can see on the photos, the gears are not damaged at all. They are not stripped and there is no sign of metal pieces inside the case. If you look at the video, towards the end of the video you will see that when I tightly hold onto the servo arm, the gears are not moving but the motor is still spinning and makes noise. It seems something is wrong with the motor and not the gear set. What do you all think?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The pinion gear is pressed onto the motor at the factory. It's now began to slip, hence why the motor spins but not the gears. I've seen this happen before (on other brands).
Old 06-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Imbue View Post
The pinion gear is pressed onto the motor at the factory. It's now began to slip, hence why the motor spins but not the gears. I've seen this happen before (on other brands).
So this is not the replacement gear set would fix, right? I don't think the replacement gear set includes this gear. Savox Customer Support denied my initial inquiry for warranty claim and said that gear set damage are not warrantied. I've sent these pictures and video to them to try convincing them it's a defect with the motor assembly not the gear set.

This happened with only about 2 hours max of total combined run time during practice runs. And this servo is supposedly rated at over 400 oz-in at 6v.

So far, Hitec customer service is much much easier to deal with than Savox.

We'll see how this one turns out.

Last edited by )EIB(; 06-03-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Just so you know, Savox authorized dealers offer a full replacement warrantee within 1 year of purchase. The only thing it does not cover is "stripped" gears. since your gears are not stripped contact the place you bought it from and ask for a replacement. If they will not help you, get in touch with me. Hitec customer service is the best by far, but only Savox offers in store free replacement on bad servo's within a year.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by )EIB( View Post
So this is not the replacement gear set would fix, right? I don't think the replacement gear set includes this gear. Savox Customer Support denied my initial inquiry for warranty claim and said that gear set damage are not warrantied. I've sent these pictures and video to them to try convincing them it's a defect with the motor assembly not the gear set.

This happened with only about 2 hours max of total combined run time during practice runs. And this servo is supposedly rated at over 400 oz-in at 6v.

So far, Hitec customer service is much much easier to deal with than Savox.

We'll see how this one turns out.

I see this more and more these days. People have problems with service when they feel a company doesn't immediately jump through hoops to please them. But then the customer immediately jumps online and starts bad mouthing and complaining about the service when the issue hasn't even been resolved.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Just so you know, Savox authorized dealers offer a full replacement warrantee within 1 year of purchase.
My hobby shop actually told me this when I bought my servos.
They replaced the savox but hitec replaced the hitec.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by )EIB( View Post
If you wanted the servo to last 5 years, you should have bought a Futaba
For what it's worth, I've had the same steering servo for 5 years, in fact this is the 6th season on it. Futaba. The throttle servo let go last year.
At the start of last season I had bought two Savox servos to replace them with, because they were old and I was worried. But it turned out the one Savox servo only lasted 6 months. Also they draw twice the current, you only get a bit over 1hr runtime on a 1600mah LiFe, while with the Futabas I get over 2hrs.

Now I've bought two new Futabas.. I should be good for another 5 or 6 years, I think.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

If you look at savoxusa or www.Northtq.com, it is not listed as a car servo.

Last edited by Lille-bror; 06-04-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Was getting ready to buy couple of Savox servos to replace my Hitec's that I sent in for service. Wanted to try something different. Glad I read this post. Savox warranty service does not even compare to Hitec's. I will just wait until my servos return to me.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mr240 View Post
Was getting ready to buy couple of Savox servos to replace my Hitec's that I sent in for service. Wanted to try something different. Glad I read this post. Savox warranty service does not even compare to Hitec's. I will just wait until my servos return to me.
Don't make the same mistake I made. This is the exact reason why I made this post as a public service announcement. I wished I had bought another Hitec instead of Savox at this point.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lille-bror View Post
If you look at savoxusa or www.Northtq.com, it is not listed as a car servo.
Per the Savoxusa.com for 1283sg listed under features:

'Ideal for rock crawlers, monster trucks, and steering servo on 1/8th scale trucks or buggies'

http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SA1283...avsa1283sg.htm
Old 06-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
If you wanted the servo to last 5 years, you should have bought a Futaba
For what it's worth, I've had the same steering servo for 5 years, in fact this is the 6th season on it. Futaba. The throttle servo let go last year.
At the start of last season I had bought two Savox servos to replace them with, because they were old and I was worried. But it turned out the one Savox servo only lasted 6 months. Also they draw twice the current, you only get a bit over 1hr runtime on a 1600mah LiFe, while with the Futabas I get over 2hrs.

Now I've bought two new Futabas.. I should be good for another 5 or 6 years, I think.
Anything other than a Savox should last more than 2 hrs of total use.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
My hobby shop actually told me this when I bought my servos.
They replaced the savox but hitec replaced the hitec.
I bought mine from nitrohouse.com. I contacted them and they directed me to go through HRP the distributer for warranty.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Savox makes very good servos. You just got a lemon which happens with all brands. Savox outsells Hitec 10 to 1 at my shop and very few people have problems with them. Savox only warrantees electrical failures but this is unique situation that definitely sucks. You can't prove the servo was not damaged in a crash or from misuse and Savox cannot prove it was. I will do what I can to help you buy cannot promise there will not be any fees. Hitec has the best customer service by far but only Savox offers brand new servo replacement within a year. I'll send you PM and see what I can do.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Savox makes very good servos. You just got a lemon which happens with all brands. Savox outsells Hitec 10 to 1 at my shop and very few people have problems with them. Savox only warrantees electrical failures but this is unique situation that definitely sucks. You can't prove the servo was not damaged in a crash or from misuse and Savox cannot prove it was. I will do what I can to help you buy cannot promise there will not be any fees. Hitec has the best customer service by far but only Savox offers brand new servo replacement within a year. I'll send you PM and see what I can do.
As I mentioned in our pm I truly appreciate your offer to help in this situation.

I understand that lemon happens with every brand. I have no problem with that. I have had problems with Hitec servos before also but it's was dealt with promptly and no hassle, so I'm not expecting to never have to deal with defective product. What I do have problem with is the way Savox treat the issue, which is to offer no help. I have no doubt that 99% of their product have no issues, but then why are they making it so difficult for the 1% of their paid customers who have issues with their product. Why does the customer has to go at length to prove to them that their product is defective before they would warranty it. They didn't even offer to let me send it in for them to test it and see what is really wrong with the product. Instead they just blame it on misuse and deny the warranty. If Hitec can take care of their customer and even replace stripped gears with no hassle then why can't Savox do the same if they are confident in the quality of their product.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.