Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Where to measure engine temperature >

Where to measure engine temperature

Where to measure engine temperature

Old 06-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Where to measure engine temperature

Hi I have a picco boost 5tr .28 and if I take the temp on it the glow plug has a different reading than if I take the temp on the side of the Cooling head. I'm confused since the temp on the side of the cooling head is always higher than the temp on the glow plug. The temp on the cooling head is around 270f while on the glow plug it reads about 230f. So where should I take the temp at? Any help would be great thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It's best to take the temp at the glow plug which is what most people do.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Tech Adept

Anybody else know where to measure the engine temp?
Old 06-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Like dan said...at the glow plug. That is the hottest point. You can measure it anywhere I suppose...as long as you do it consistently...run with it. Your measurement will be inaccurate anywhere but at the glow plug though ;-)
Old 06-04-2014, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

230 at plug is a good place for that engine.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Adept

I have an mip on board loop gauge and I have it at the seam between the block and head. You have to clock it 90 degrees off to one side of the exhaust port. You'll get localized heating from the port that will give false high temps. Nice to be able to see what your actually seeing on that long pull.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Pointing the gun down from the top of the cooling head, directly at the glow plug will give the most accurate reading. With that being said, it doesn't really matter where you take the measurement, as long as you are consistent.

As you may already know, you should never tune to a specific temp. Instead, tune for performance, and use the temp simply as a reference point (for example check it at the end of a qualifier or main), or to make sure you're not getting way too hot (generally speaking, that means greater than 300F).

Using the same temp gun, and taking the temp at the same location each time, will ensure that you have a consistent value to use for monitoring engine performance.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Pointing the gun down from the top of the cooling head, directly at the glow plug will give the most accurate reading. With that being said, it doesn't really matter where you take the measurement, as long as you are consistent.

As you may already know, you should never tune to a specific temp. Instead, tune for performance, and use the temp simply as a reference point (for example check it at the end of a qualifier or main), or to make sure you're not getting way too hot (generally speaking, that means greater than 300F).

Using the same temp gun, and taking the temp at the same location each time, will ensure that you have a consistent value to use for monitoring engine performance.
Well said.....+1....
Old 06-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

ok great thanks I think I will just remain consistent with the glow plug and try to tune for performance.