Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RB One-R vs HB D812

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by D8
Eivind E... you have a lot to learn about this hobby!
+1
Old 05-30-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I'm with Nick on this one lol. The Hot Bodies is not the most expensive, great geometry, good parts quality, very helpful professional team willing to answer all questions (The Tessmans), a designer and engineer that truly knows what he's doing(Torrance), A regional team that is getting faster and faster, parts support that despite a hiccup in the last year continues to get better, and lastly podiums at every big American race along with multiple podiums abroad.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:07 AM
Tech Adept

I find it quite funny how many people are slating a car which they probably haven't even seen, let alone driven!

I bought one of the original RB One R's when they first came out, and being as it's manufactured by King Star the quality is certainly very high, comparable obviously to SWORKz, Durango and Serpent whom also make the same car's. All 3 other brands of which if anyone has actually had 'Hands on' experience with would say the quality of those kits, and products for that matter are pretty bloody good. I'm not saying the quality is at the level of potentially Kyosho, Xray or Mugen but it's not far off at all. In my opinion though I wouldn't also say that the HB D812 compares to those brands either, and all said and done in my opinion at least the D812 and RB1R are very much comparable in quality, although having said that I know close friends and customers running the D812 whom also seem to wear out more parts than I ever did in my 15L of fuel which I ran through my RB1R.

As with many other posters in this thread if you firmly believe that the performance of any competition car is purely reflected by the race results then your an idiot, fact of the matter is the RB1R isn't going to be as quick as a D812, Mugen MBX7, Xray XB8, Kyosho MP9 and perhaps even other cars besides - But is it quick enough for the majority of us mortals? Yes, it is. The RB1R whilst I ran it was very competitive, and it was an absolute dream to drive. The car had plenty of steering, jumped awesome but the main strength was just how consistent the car was to drive, how predictably it turned into a corner, came out, rode the bumps etc etc. In all honesty I have never driven another 1/8 off-road in all my years of racing which you could beast on so much and it just went quicker.

My opinion on the matter is as easy as a decision as anyone else's in this thread, just for all the right reasons rather than being that of a short sighted fanboy's. You'd be a fool to get anything other than the D812 out of either the two car's, but the reasons why you would are simply because it's a much more popular car, setups are more readily available and so are the parts. Having said that if the HB parts supply is as bad as it is in the USA as it is in the UK then I couldn't justify anyone buying a D812 over a Mugen, Kyosho, Xray or TLR for that reason as we have little to no available parts here. This is the main reason why I switched from the RB1R to my then MBX7, unfortunately the parts availability wasn't great and despite the fact that I had worked on my own setup which was working well there wasn't much else in terms of driver support for the car. In hindsight though I much preferred my RB1R over my Mugen, which I found far too inconsistent for my driving style and often awkward to set up.. I've since gone back to an 8ight though after having 2 successful seasons with the 2.0 some years back, and that's definitely working out better