Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
HPI Firestorm Help >

HPI Firestorm Help

HPI Firestorm Help

Old 05-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI Firestorm Help

Hey guys! First off let me introduce myself. I'm NitroTuner. I work with a middle school after school program and run a Nitro R/C class. We basically have a group of 12 kids and 4 nitro cars. Two of them are off road HPI Firestorms and the other two are the HPI on road RS4's. Our mission is to have organized races while repairing the damages that will occur during the races. We plan on gettting two more cars by the end of this month. (Fingers Crossed) Anyways, we are currently having an issue with one of out Firestorms. When we start it up it will die as soon as we remove the ignitor. We then swapped in a new glow plug and it would start for a couple minutes then die once you start driving it. We also tried setting the tune screw back to the original spot. It still didn't seem to work. Could it be that we are running too rich? What could be causing this kind of issue? Just needing some ideas on where to troubleshoot. Thanks so much guys.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How many tanks from break in are you at? It sounds like it could be two things. One is you are running the low end too rich and it will only run with the extra heat supplied by the igniter. Two it could that you are having it idle for too long allowing it to load up with fuel and when you start to drive all the fuel in the crank case is quenching the glow plug. Try leaning out the low end needle and also when you get it started with the igniter on lift up so the wheels are off the ground. Then blip the throttle several times to clear out the motor. Then start to drive. Hope this helps