Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Starter Box: 4S Lipo + Tamiya connector ok? >

Starter Box: 4S Lipo + Tamiya connector ok?

Starter Box: 4S Lipo + Tamiya connector ok?

Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default Starter Box: 4S Lipo + Tamiya connector ok?

Hi all,

I am using the Muchmore Starter box pro, and a 4s lipo. I have the lipo connected with deans connectors but then another link in the wire with a Tamiya connector before the motors.

My question is can the Tamiya connector handle this? Obviously I wouldn't use it on a 4s battery in a car but is the starter box low current enough or short enough per use for them to survive ok?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

I would switch to Deans if I was you. You never have to worry about it failing then.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

+1 for deans (only a few $) then you can forget about any issues. The tamiya connector isn't designed to carry the current needed to start a nitro engine. It might survive for short bursts on an engine already run in but may burn up if you try starting really tight new engines!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

They won't last very long before the connector melts together, just to much current for them to handle. I had to change the plugs on my box as well, I only run a 13.2v 4s LiFe pack but it was still to much, like mentioned above though, I was running in a new engine that was tight, although even on a used engine I don't think they will last to long, better to just upgrade straight away.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:20 AM
Tech Champion

if you change your connectors there is much better than deans:

EC5 (LOSI)

people should stop using deans, they weren't designed for 1/8
Old 05-16-2014, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post

EC5 (LOSI)

I've had, and seen, more failures due to those "birdcage" style bullets than I can remember. Castle bullets are way better....

Honestly, the trusty 'ole Traxxas connector is the way to go. I run them on all my electric devices....inexpensive, handles high current no problem, and just about every hobby shop under the sun keeps them in stock.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:37 AM
JsK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

EC5 (LOSI)

Funny thing is there always seems to be a "better" connector than Deans. Seen
a lot of them come and go over the years and where still using Deans.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

never had a problem with real deans.have seen some of the Chinese copies burn up especially on 2s 4wd SCT.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Deans or solid bullets are the best. Those umbrella type cause heat and can puff batteries under high amp loads charge or discharge. I don't use the umbrella/ birdcage connectors even when charging at low 6-10 amp charges. If bullet style then solid bullets only.

Back to the question I would use deans on lipo even in a starter box.
The tamiya style use to heat up and burn even back in the 7.2 nicad days.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

EC5 (LOSI)

Don't use the birdcage bullet as seen in the picture. They tend to melt. Instead use a solid bullet and these connectors are good.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

The Anderson power pole has a lower resistance and higher power handling capacity of anything available for RC. They don't list the spec on tower hobbies, but on Anderson's website they have the specs for the hobby size connectors and they are 75p continuous which is higher than anything else in your circuit can handle.

It's a proven design, the warn winch quick disconnects for basket mounts are a private brand Anderson power pole. They are rated at hundreds of amps at 12v! The design is also maintenance friendly, the contacts are designed to be removed for cleaning they are mechanically retained in the housing not relying on a friction for retention.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tug Driver View Post
The Anderson power pole has a lower resistance and higher power handling capacity of anything available for RC. They don't list the spec on tower hobbies, but on Anderson's website they have the specs for the hobby size connectors and they are 75p continuous which is higher than anything else in your circuit can handle.

It's a proven design, the warn winch quick disconnects for basket mounts are a private brand Anderson power pole. They are rated at hundreds of amps at 12v! The design is also maintenance friendly, the contacts are designed to be removed for cleaning they are mechanically retained in the housing not relying on a friction for retention.
Sounds cool. How bout some links and pictures?
Old 06-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by JsK View Post
Funny thing is there always seems to be a "better" connector than Deans. Seen
a lot of them come and go over the years and where still using Deans.
I agree !!

Ive been using these for year, never had a issue. All my connections use EC5's. You need a good iron thou if you don't have one these can be challenging. You need to be quick with a good station for holding the connector so your able to make a good connection. They stay put without any disconnection issues.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Here is some technical reading on the powerpoles. Funny 15 years ago when I got into hobby grade rc they were all anybody used if it wasn't a tamiya connector. Other than deans nothing on the market now existed back then.
http://www.powerwerx.com/techdata/PP30.pdf
http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...sets.html#desc

I may have mistaken the amp rating in the hobby size connector, but the limit on the current capacity is the wire not the size of the spoons.

Here is the tower listing for them, but I have not found a second reference but here is the resistance claim. The duratrax connectors are Anderson's packaged for private label. They have the Anderson logo in the plastic casting. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD175&P=ML
Old 06-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you guys are high. mine is hooked up via tamiya connectors and it's fine. but I use 2 2s lipos. (truggy ofna box)
it doesn't even start to struggle turning over any nitro i've started with it so far. (1/8 scale buggies)

ignore the electrical tape. I soldered the wire together before I stuck the heat shrink on. it's fine. ugly but fine. besides, your car you drive to work is full of electrical tape.

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 06-14-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.