Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
losi After Shock stalling when I hit the brakes >

losi After Shock stalling when I hit the brakes

losi After Shock stalling when I hit the brakes

Old 05-13-2014, 06:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Default losi After Shock stalling when I hit the brakes

as you can the title, my car stalls when I hit the brakes. I know there are some tuning to do, & I am still fairly new with the remote, if anyone has any tips to syncing the remote up with the car so the settings are the same that would be wonderful. also, which idle screw do I mess with to make it so my car does not stall when I hit the brakes?
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

First check your throttle linkage as it correlates to the sub trim on your radio. What may be happening is that at neutral throttle your trim might be such (+ on the throttle side) that your throttle is actually being applied just a bit, giving you a false idle, then when you hit the brake, it is closing your carb and you have no idle due to it being set to the throttle being applied just a bit by your radio. So, make sure that your trim is set by adjusting the trim and watching the carb to make sure that it is not closing further when you apply the brakes. Then set your idle gap without your filter on to .5 -.7, re-install, set your needles close to base settings (they will be extremely rich more than likely) and get your tune set from there.

Hope this makes sense .
Old 05-13-2014, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Definitely check your idle screw gap.Like Spads said...sounds like your throttle is closing your carb all the way and choking your engine. Idle screw allows the carb to only close so far....
Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Tech Initiate

I took the filter off and then when I hit the brakes they close the carb all the way so no air would get into it.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Keedo View Post
I took the filter off and then when I hit the brakes they close the carb all the way so no air would get into it.
So yes, your trim/and or linkage is not set correctly. Look on your radio, if your trim is at 0, then you need to adjust your linkage so that your carb is pushed closed at neutral position. If your trim is at + whatever, then you need to back it down to 0 and maybe even go negative. If you go negative or even at 0, make sure that you then do not have active brakes when at neutral (the car should roll free).
Old 05-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Another thing, the only thing I should be adjusting for idling is the Low Speed Needle Valve, correct? The High Speed Needle Valve doesn't affect the Idle? I got it to run for about a minute and a half just sitting still, no throttle or anything and then dies out.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

You want to adjust the idle screw, not the low speed needle to adjust your idle. While your LSN will affect your idle, it's not going to help with your brake issue.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

The Idle screw is the small one more to the side or at the side.

Probably you did set the idle with the trim on your transmitter, that is the wrong way!

When setting the idle be sure in neutral the carburator is pushed to the endpoint and a small movement on the transmitter is needed before the carburator moves. This will give a stable idle while the chassis is flexing.

To give another option, the problem in the starting post can also be caused by a broken spring or a misformed clutch shoe within the clutch.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
You want to adjust the idle screw, not the low speed needle to adjust your idle. While your LSN will affect your idle, it's not going to help with your brake issue.
+1 here. Also, look at the beginning of the engine portion of the nitro thread and you will see a great guide to tuning (tuning bible) that will be VERY useful in building your nitro skill sets. I wouldn't call tuning Voodoo, but it takes some experience that comes with practice.

I will attach the link in just a moment - also, one of the things I want to mention is that you don't want to be tuning for a long term idle condition... there is some mention of this very thing the guide I believe.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...ing-bible.html

Here is the link; I'm not telling you to piss off and read the guide by any means. However, this guide is awesome and will give you some of the ideas about why things are happening and what to listen for.

If you are racing, hit the folks up at that the track to help as well. The RC Community is one of the most communities I have ever been a part of.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Spads11 View Post
I wouldn't call tuning Voodoo.
Man! I have been putting "Nitro Voodoo Witch Doctor" on my resume for years! Don't make me remove it! Calling it Voodoo is fun! hehehe
Old 05-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
Man! I have been putting "Nitro Voodoo Witch Doctor" on my resume for years! Don't make me remove it! Calling it Voodoo is fun! hehehe
Right! My whole family is originally from Louisiana! I mean down in the bayou kind of Louisiana
Old 05-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Before you start tuning to get it from stalling. Check your clutch bearings.
E
Old 05-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Keedo View Post
as you can the title, my car stalls when I hit the brakes. I know there are some tuning to do, & I am still fairly new with the remote, if anyone has any tips to syncing the remote up with the car so the settings are the same that would be wonderful. also, which idle screw do I mess with to make it so my car does not stall when I hit the brakes?
Does it stall when you hit brake only or even when you let of the throttle (neutral) if only when braking, is most likely clutch bearings.