MP9E TKI + TKI3 or XB9E + XB8? >

MP9E TKI + TKI3 or XB9E + XB8?

Like Tree1Likes

MP9E TKI + TKI3 or XB9E + XB8?

Old 05-09-2014, 05:46 AM
Tech Champion

Default MP9E TKI + TKI3 or XB9E + XB8?

Hi,

I would like to sell one of my electric car to buy a nitro and need your help on this one

Now I'm racing a XB9E which is in like new condition and a MP9E TKI which IS new.

It would be the occasion to run one single brand to share parts. So either I sell the XB9E and buy a MP9 TKI3 to run all Kyosho or sell the MP9E TKI and buy a XB8 2014 to run all Xray.

What do you guys think? I really love both cars in electric but have no idea about the nitro models.

Is the MP9 TKI3 supposed to be replaced any time soon? I keep my buggies for years generally.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-09-2014, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The MP9 is here to stay
On the other hand you might want 2 XB8's, but in the end is which issues are you most comfortable with?
Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
The MP9 is here to stay
On the other hand you might want 2 XB8's, but in the end is which issues are you most comfortable with?
two xb8 would be too expensive

issues I"m the most comfortable with.. good question, what are the known issues on the TKI3 and XB8?

from what I read Xray in general is stronger.. but I'm a smooth driver, wear would be an issue though as I like to keep my buggies for a long time

is the XB8 as strong as the XB9? no worries about the newly designed PBS system?
Old 05-09-2014, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MP9 doesn't have the most durable front arms and the chassis tends to wear at a "fast" rate and get thin, suspension pills too.
The XB8 had issues with pivot balls snapping and front bulkheads splitting, both I think are resolved. Oh and CVD's popping out on certain conditions, something the MP9 is said to suffer too, just a shim or two and it's resolved on both.
The XB8 upper/lower front arm might break when a XB9 arm wouldn't but isn't a deal breaker for me. No worries about the PBS system, about time Hudy listened to Reno
So if I can't sway you to run two XB8 then the MP9 TKI3 and spare arms and suspension bushings will keep you running for a long time. Hope it helps.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

MP9 doesn't have the most durable front arms and the chassis tends to wear at a "fast" rate and get thin, suspension pills too.
The XB8 had issues with pivot balls snapping and front bulkheads splitting, both I think are resolved. Oh and CVD's popping out on certain conditions, something the MP9 is said to suffer too, just a shim or two and it's resolved on both.
The XB8 upper/lower front arm might break when a XB9 arm wouldn't but isn't a deal breaker for me. No worries about the PBS system, about time Hudy listened to Reno
So if I can't sway you to run two XB8 then the MP9 TKI3 and spare arms and suspension bushings will keep you running for a long time. Hope it helps.
thanks, it definitely helps

the advantage of running two MP9 is that these cars share all their parts while the XB9 and XB8 are quite different.. I think (I'll need to investigate on this one )

chassis wear is no issue for me as I use this on all my buggies

in nitro I'll need to cut the opening for the clutch of course

suspension bushings need a washer like this and apparently the problem is solved
Old 05-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Why do u keep saying 2 xb8's? He has an xb9e and mp9e right now. What I would do is sell the xb9 and get another mp9.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The choice would really depend on your driving style. I will say that I am just waiting for Xray to come out with a dedicated platform, but have seen the E conversions run and they look really good.

I like my XB8 due to the flex tuning as I like a stiff chassis setup for my driving style. My MP9E has the Tekno V4 conversion, which is very stiff and I love it. I bought a new MP9E to try the all Kyosho version and it wasn't for me as I felt it was too soft. Not that it isn't a great platform - it just didn't suit my style. Running both MP9E's back to back was no comparison; I was MUCH faster in the Tekno conversion than the stock. I could have made the stock work just as good with some time and effort, but I found something that works...

My XB8 nitro is in a word, awesome! I have had no issues whatsoever thus far, but have the longer outdrives already to prevent the dogpone pop out that some are experiencing - easy fix. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

maybe a vid of me driving the XB9E is the best indication of my driving style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0m3nmkbp60

I drive offroad as if it was onroad basically, focusing on the lines and no wheelspin.. I have always been a "soft"/ progressive driver.

Concerning tracks thay are often dusty or blown out here, there are many bumps and holes and never "prepared". They have few and small jumps, a lot of corners, less grip than in the US of course and smaller too. I don't know if this gives an indication of what buggies would be more suited in my case..

thanks again for your feedback

Last edited by Pulse_; 05-09-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Stick with X-ray. Looks like you've got that buggy under control
Old 05-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nickdawg18
Stick with X-ray. Looks like you've got that buggy under control
I try to but I'm still not satisfied with my driving .. but the car is doing really well now. The XB9E on the vid isn't stock though, I'm running 10 degrees caster blocks in the front and a more agressive setup.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pulse_
I try to but I'm still not satisfied with my driving .. but the car is doing really well now. The XB9E on the vid isn't stock though, I'm running 10 degrees caster blocks in the front and a more agressive setup.
What do you feel more comfortable with?

If you had to evacuate your house and we're told you could take only one buggy, what would you choose? The kyosho? Or the xray?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

What do you feel more comfortable with?

If you had to evacuate your house and we're told you could take only one buggy, what would you choose? The kyosho? Or the xray?
that's a good way to see it probably the Kyosho because I almost never ran it

the thing is I wanted to keep it as a "spare" chassis in case something broke on my XB9E -ok I know it's a shame but look how nice the Kyosho buggy is looking new and how bad it looks used -

I should do some testings sessions with both cars and start from there maybe

anybody had the occasion to compare the MP9 TKI3 and XB8 on a track eventually?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pulse_
that's a good way to see it probably the Kyosho because I almost never ran it

the thing is I wanted to keep it as a "spare" chassis in case something broke on my XB9E -ok I know it's a shame but look how nice the Kyosho buggy is looking new and how bad it looks used -

I should do some testings sessions with both cars and start from there maybe

anybody had the occasion to compare the MP9 TKI3 and XB8 on a track eventually?
Well our local pro (josh wheeler) is fast as hell with his xb8. And there a lot of guys that run the mp9 tki3 at our track. But it all really comes down to you. I run mugen and I love them because they fit my style.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Well our local pro (josh wheeler) is fast as hell with his xb8. And there a lot of guys that run the mp9 tki3 at our track. But it all really comes down to you. I run mugen and I love them because they fit my style.
I love Mugen too actually , we have a MBX6 eco which is a great car. I'm no brand fan at all and open to everything, maybe this is the problem .

If I could I'd try a TKI3 nitro versus a XB8 but sadly this is not possible, that's why I finally posted the question here. Well, if anyone had the occasion to compare both cars it would be very interesting to have a feedback
Old 07-16-2017, 04:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

X-ray has stronger plastics than the kyosho

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.