Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Practice without a track? >

Practice without a track?

Practice without a track?

Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)
Default Practice without a track?

So Im still new at nitro but want to get out and practice but the closest track isn't open during the week. I was curious where I can go to practice when you don't have a track to get to? Coming from electric nitro racing is totally different and something Im not used to and I had a bad time this weekend and want to get my throttle practice. Any ideas? Could I go to baseball field and just run around a few obstacles? Any ideas would be great!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carbons2k View Post
So Im still new at nitro but want to get out and practice but the closest track isn't open during the week. I was curious where I can go to practice when you don't have a track to get to? Coming from electric nitro racing is totally different and something Im not used to and I had a bad time this weekend and want to get my throttle practice. Any ideas? Could I go to baseball field and just run around a few obstacles? Any ideas would be great!
Is there a bmx track you can go to?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Not really no. Theres nothing close to me. Like I said.. just really a baseball field at the school.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by carbons2k View Post
Not really no. Theres nothing close to me. Like I said.. just really a baseball field at the school.
Hang in there Tom, once the summer is here we hope to open at least one day during the week, possibly more.

Thanks,
Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Vrc pro!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcboy1 View Post
Vrc pro!
I heard about it.... Is it really that close to the real deal? I mean for $30 for the dongle... might be worth it! I could practice till the cows come home and ever pour a drop of fuel!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

I use it pretty often. The nitro buggy doesnt feel exactly right but more like a somewhat poorly setup car. Essentially once you get used to this, driving a real car becomes way easier and your consistency increases. Personally it is worth it
Old 05-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

drive where you have room to do so and not hit something or somebody.. we use cones and drive just about everywhere we can, it's a fun way to improve your skills.. even bashing could improve your driving as soon as you do smooth transitions

we race a lot and this helps to keep the fun and discover new places, IMO most racers forget too much about the fun factor when they become "good".. but if they focused more about having fun they would get even faster

as soon as you have a radio in your hand you'll get better, even if you drive with vrc or in a backyard
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The nitro buggy doesnt feel exactly right but more like a somewhat poorly setup car. Essentially once you get used to this, driving a real car becomes way easier and your consistency increases. Personally it is worth it
Agree. VRC doesn't feel quite the same - almost a little harder than the real thing. The buggy adjustments don't really have same effect you'd get in real life, either.

I'd say VRC is a better tool for just staying sharp and consistent, not so much getting significantly faster.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I use it pretty often. The nitro buggy doesnt feel exactly right but more like a somewhat poorly setup car. Essentially once you get used to this, driving a real car becomes way easier and your consistency increases. Personally it is worth it
Agree vrc pro is very good for practice, it will take a little time to get your car/ controller setup correct, very important to get the real feel. Good for throttle control and will teach you to get use to small steering inputs which will smoothen up your driving.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro Tiger View Post
Agree vrc pro is very good for practice, it will take a little time to get your car/ controller setup correct, very important to get the real feel. Good for throttle control and will teach you to get use to small steering inputs which will smoothen up your driving.
Definetly agree on the steering inputs.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Does vrc require you to be online when you play. I know you'd have to be online to join a race but just practice etc?
Old 05-06-2014, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigInJapan View Post
Does vrc require you to be online when you play. I know you'd have to be online to join a race but just practice etc?
No.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MRRC Raceway View Post
Hang in there Tom, once the summer is here we hope to open at least one day during the week, possibly more.

Thanks,
Oh man that would be great I need to practice ALOT!!!! 8-)