Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Practice without a track? >

Practice without a track?

Practice without a track?

Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 AM
  #1  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (21)
 
carbons2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,801
Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)
Default Practice without a track?

So Im still new at nitro but want to get out and practice but the closest track isn't open during the week. I was curious where I can go to practice when you don't have a track to get to? Coming from electric nitro racing is totally different and something Im not used to and I had a bad time this weekend and want to get my throttle practice. Any ideas? Could I go to baseball field and just run around a few obstacles? Any ideas would be great!
carbons2k is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 AM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Posts: 1,095
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by carbons2k View Post
So Im still new at nitro but want to get out and practice but the closest track isn't open during the week. I was curious where I can go to practice when you don't have a track to get to? Coming from electric nitro racing is totally different and something Im not used to and I had a bad time this weekend and want to get my throttle practice. Any ideas? Could I go to baseball field and just run around a few obstacles? Any ideas would be great!
Is there a bmx track you can go to?
masher81 is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 AM
  #3  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (21)
 
carbons2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,801
Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)
Default

Not really no. Theres nothing close to me. Like I said.. just really a baseball field at the school.
carbons2k is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 11:46 AM
  #4  
Tech Adept
 
MRRC Raceway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 241
Default

Originally Posted by carbons2k View Post
Not really no. Theres nothing close to me. Like I said.. just really a baseball field at the school.
Hang in there Tom, once the summer is here we hope to open at least one day during the week, possibly more.

Thanks,
MRRC Raceway is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
 
rcboy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 3,715
Default

Vrc pro!
rcboy1 is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM
  #6  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (21)
 
carbons2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,801
Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rcboy1 View Post
Vrc pro!
I heard about it.... Is it really that close to the real deal? I mean for $30 for the dongle... might be worth it! I could practice till the cows come home and ever pour a drop of fuel!
carbons2k is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 12:24 PM
  #7  
Tech Elite
 
rcboy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 3,715
Default

I use it pretty often. The nitro buggy doesnt feel exactly right but more like a somewhat poorly setup car. Essentially once you get used to this, driving a real car becomes way easier and your consistency increases. Personally it is worth it
rcboy1 is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 12:24 PM
  #8  
Tech Champion
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

drive where you have room to do so and not hit something or somebody.. we use cones and drive just about everywhere we can, it's a fun way to improve your skills.. even bashing could improve your driving as soon as you do smooth transitions

we race a lot and this helps to keep the fun and discover new places, IMO most racers forget too much about the fun factor when they become "good".. but if they focused more about having fun they would get even faster

as soon as you have a radio in your hand you'll get better, even if you drive with vrc or in a backyard
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (21)
 
Rsickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 1,335
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rcboy1 View Post
The nitro buggy doesnt feel exactly right but more like a somewhat poorly setup car. Essentially once you get used to this, driving a real car becomes way easier and your consistency increases. Personally it is worth it
Agree. VRC doesn't feel quite the same - almost a little harder than the real thing. The buggy adjustments don't really have same effect you'd get in real life, either.

I'd say VRC is a better tool for just staying sharp and consistent, not so much getting significantly faster.
Rsickles is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 05:00 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
Nitro Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Near a beach
Posts: 1,403
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rcboy1 View Post
I use it pretty often. The nitro buggy doesnt feel exactly right but more like a somewhat poorly setup car. Essentially once you get used to this, driving a real car becomes way easier and your consistency increases. Personally it is worth it
Agree vrc pro is very good for practice, it will take a little time to get your car/ controller setup correct, very important to get the real feel. Good for throttle control and will teach you to get use to small steering inputs which will smoothen up your driving.
Nitro Tiger is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 PM
  #11  
Tech Master
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,414
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Nitro Tiger View Post
Agree vrc pro is very good for practice, it will take a little time to get your car/ controller setup correct, very important to get the real feel. Good for throttle control and will teach you to get use to small steering inputs which will smoothen up your driving.
Definetly agree on the steering inputs.
mcion is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:41 PM
  #12  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (18)
 
BigInJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 747
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Does vrc require you to be online when you play. I know you'd have to be online to join a race but just practice etc?
BigInJapan is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 11:24 PM
  #13  
Tech Master
iTrader: (33)
 
nickdawg18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Granite City, IL
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BigInJapan View Post
Does vrc require you to be online when you play. I know you'd have to be online to join a race but just practice etc?
No.
nickdawg18 is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 02:42 PM
  #14  
Tech Adept
 
animalmx305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Port Jefferson N.Y
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by MRRC Raceway View Post
Hang in there Tom, once the summer is here we hope to open at least one day during the week, possibly more.

Thanks,
Oh man that would be great I need to practice ALOT!!!! 8-)
animalmx305 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.