Search

1/8 Nitro 2 Speed RTR Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool 1/8 Nitro 2 Speed RTR Buggy?

Hi everyone,
As the title suggest im looking for a 1/8 2 speed Nitro RTR Buggy (no HSP's please) preferably in a RTR package but dont mind getting it as a aftermarket option.

Will use it for racing & bashing. Leaning towards the RC8 but not sure if they have the 2 speed option.

Cheers guys
Old 05-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you want to race , why do you want to get extra weight on your car and extra problems on your car???
I have a Friend that has a two speed monster truck, I have driven it and it is pain in the a** , the engine is on its top rmp and this automatic gearbox will not change into second , That drives me mad. That's my opinion on 2 speed,

But if you really want here you go Backdraft 3.5 1/8 Scale Nitro Buggy
Old 05-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well to be honest ive never really had any problems with my 2 speeds in the past. I agree its a little extra weight but if the track has enough straights it should make up for it. And yes 2 speed gearing in a buggy is more of a "bling" thing which is precisely why i want it.

I should add it will be 60% basher 40% racer in the event it ever sees a track lol

Are there any other buggys out there? Preferably rtr 2 speed but factory option will suffice.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2014, 02:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

And your friend will have to unscrew the clutch hex screw which holds the spring anti clockwise. His probably got it waaay to tight thats why it wont shift up.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know Ofna/Hong Nor had it as an option a while back. No real need for a two speed in a 1/8 buggy. Usually the second gear was the same as the normal gear, so there is no top end gain.

Heres the Ofna part. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHWB6&P=7
Old 05-03-2014, 03:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes this is true. But usually the 1st gear is geared down for more torque which is ideal or short run up jumps and bashing

Cheers for the info. Any others out there?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2014, 04:14 PM

I myself have never seen a 2spd for a buggy... I. Guessing that since I've seen none of the pros use one or even mention it.. Nor most of the big name cars having one that they are useless... But this is just my opinion since I am new to 1/8th scale... I've owned several Traxxas products with 2 spds. The jato. The 4tec and like 5 Tmaxxes from classic all the way up to the 3.3 and I've always removed them on my off road vehicles in favor for the single speed... Less parts to break and easier to diagnose.. Last one I had wouldn't shift tore the whole thing apart thinking it was the 2spd itself that wasn't shifting... Turned out to be the slipper clutch wasn't properly adjusted from the factory... To me there headaches in off road... On road I can understand... Just not off... But that's just my opinion and Experience with them
Old 05-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RacePace
Well to be honest ive never really had any problems with my 2 speeds in the past. I agree its a little extra weight but if the track has enough straights it should make up for it. And yes 2 speed gearing in a buggy is more of a "bling" thing which is precisely why i want it.

I should add it will be 60% basher 40% racer in the event it ever sees a track lol

Are there any other buggys out there? Preferably rtr 2 speed but factory option will suffice.

Thanks
If you use a 2 speed, it will probably be 0% race. They are illegal, but maybe some club races will allow them. Frowned on, if not laughed at.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah same in Australia its laughed at, but not here in the Philippines.