Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
1/8 nitro truggy kits >

1/8 nitro truggy kits

1/8 nitro truggy kits

Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

Default 1/8 nitro truggy kits

hi! looking to build a 1/8 nitro race truggy kit. is it very complex? how long does it take to build a basic race roller!????? any upgrades to truggy besides stock parts? am currently a mechanic for 25 years with autos. just not finding any good/great rollers out there.kits for losi,mugen,agama,team durango are going for around $5-600. was wondering if i need to put BETTER PARTS into it to start racing.besides engine/pipe,servos,etc.. thanks!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoborder73 View Post
hi! looking to build a 1/8 nitro race truggy kit. is it very complex? how long does it take to build a basic race roller!????? any upgrades to truggy besides stock parts? am currently a mechanic for 25 years with autos. just not finding any good/great rollers out there.kits for losi,mugen,agama,team durango are going for around $5-600. was wondering if i need to put BETTER PARTS into it to start racing.besides engine/pipe,servos,etc.. thanks!
The kits from the top brands that you listed are ready to race straight after the build with box stock setups. Granted, setup will vary from driver to driver and some are easier to setup than others. Each one of the brands you have listed has it's own dedicated thread that has extremely helpful information. You get a lot of "this brand is the best" talk and that is dependent upon what the driver personally prefers.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Build times for me are 10-12 hours, but I generally move slower when I build a new brand of kit for the first time.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Tech Initiate

The kits have a step by step manual with them there should be no problems with a experienced mechanic putting one together just take your time and make sure you lube everything and don't get in a hurry. I would also prefer a kit vs. roller because your going to want to know how to disassemble it in a quick and easy way without taking every screw out of the truggy just to change diff oil or change/lube bearings.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Default truggy kits

thanks guys! what set-up would you reccommend for engine,pipe? servos,etc... would you reccommend used servos? looking at new engine/pipes! o.s. team orion,novarossi.pipe(jammin jp3) tell me otherwise! running nitro races at local tracks and within he state.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snoborder73 View Post
thanks guys! what set-up would you reccommend for engine,pipe? servos,etc... would you reccommend used servos? looking at new engine/pipes! o.s. team orion,novarossi.pipe(jammin jp3) tell me otherwise! running nitro races at local tracks and within he state.
I would not recommend used servos at all. Electronics are critical and I like to go with new so that I know how they have been treated from day one. I also suggest spending some money here as you usually get what you pay for when it comes to electronics.

You will get answers again all across the board on engine and pipe combinations. There are some great tuning and break in guides here and they are MUST READS if you are new to nitro. I'm going to assume that you are new, so don't think I'm patronizing...

I have owned numerous brands from Axial .21rr to SWorks motors and I find some easier to tune than others for various reasons. I find that OS or OS based engines are easier to tune for me and just plain run and run.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

I can't emphasize enough that you should be asking or accept help with nitro if you are inexperienced. Most folks will be glad to help as long as it is not in the middle of your race and you are trying to get it straight.

I see a lot of folks turn away from nitro because it takes more time to prepare (yes, I run E buggy also because it is easier to prepare as a second or third class). Get to the track early and get your tune close to the current conditions and pay attention to the weather as it changes during the day as it will affect your tune. This is also a great time to ask for help as most diehards get to the track earlier to get their race face on!

Between quals, if you have time, give it some attention and fine tune as necessary. Listen to other folks' motors while you are marshaling paying attention to what you think sounds good and what doesn't. Listen for good crispness and nice smoke, especially if they are running the same engine.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by duck7604 View Post
The kits have a step by step manual with them there should be no problems with a experienced mechanic putting one together just take your time and make sure you lube everything and don't get in a hurry. I would also prefer a kit vs. roller because your going to want to know how to disassemble it in a quick and easy way without taking every screw out of the truggy just to change diff oil or change/lube bearings.
+1 Knowing your car inside and out will help you spot potential problems early and not ruin a complete race day.