Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
1/8 competition nitro truggy >

1/8 competition nitro truggy

1/8 competition nitro truggy

Old 04-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default 1/8 competition nitro truggy

hi! looking for suggestions about 1/8 nitro truggy's. i am a rookie looking to get into racing local tracks. looking to purchase a turn key truggy. what do you guys think about(chassis wise)? with mugen mbx6t,losi 8ight t 2.0,and team durango dnx408t? i know you could throw any engine/servo/battery set-up,but as far as chassis's go? i am looking at o.s. or orion motor with hi-tec servos. and i do not know what to use for transmitter/receiver? money-500-1000 topsi would be able to spend! have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out a DURABLE,BAD BOY,COMP.TRUGGY to run.any suggestions would be appreciated. hope i dont start a laundry list of threads!? just basic input! thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

All i know is 'durable' != 'mbx6t'
Old 04-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you can wait a little while longer the sworkz truggy will be out and I'm sure it will be as good or better than many others. If your looking now losi would be my first pick then kyosho, tekno, mugen, Durango, serpent, and on.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

mugens front arms are a little brittle if you ask me....losi would be my top choice
Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

hello there welcome to the wonderful world of rc racing..... i buy and sell alot of rc stuff bro.....i've been running nitro cars and trucks since i was 12 years old i'm 37 now....i could hook you up with a sweet setup man i have several choices right now a mugen 6t or a losi 8ight t 2.0...i have many different setups i could offer you as far as servos and radio equipment etc...plus i am super knowledgable on all of it so i will get you the right stuff dude i'll be heading out for a race fri morning ...let me know if you wanna get something done have a good one 507 627 2372 ryan
Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

D8T... The only RC car I've sold that I wish I had back. Cheap, Durable, easy to drive, and easy to maintain. The Arse Kicker right now at our track though is the Tekno. We also have a bunch of Mugens and I've never seen an a-arm break that didn't deserve it... LOL.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoborder73 View Post
hi! looking for suggestions about 1/8 nitro truggy's. i am a rookie looking to get into racing local tracks. looking to purchase a turn key truggy. what do you guys think about(chassis wise)? with mugen mbx6t,losi 8ight t 2.0,and team durango dnx408t? i know you could throw any engine/servo/battery set-up,but as far as chassis's go? i am looking at o.s. or orion motor with hi-tec servos. and i do not know what to use for transmitter/receiver? money-500-1000 topsi would be able to spend! have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out a DURABLE,BAD BOY,COMP.TRUGGY to run.any suggestions would be appreciated. hope i dont start a laundry list of threads!? just basic input! thanks!
As far as being a "rookie" I would actually go to the track and see what guys are running. Especially motors. People there will be able to help you out when you get stuck. About the chassis, any of those chassis could be in the Amain at any point.

Out of those 3, I would honestly pick the 8ight 2.0. It is very durable, was one of the most popular trucks out. Yes it will get sloppy at it wears, but the slop makes them better. Im willing to be that parts will be easier to get as well.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

If you want durable, you're looking at the wrong chassis.

Mugen is notorious for snapping the front arms.
Losi 2.0 is a diff nightmare. I've seen far too many experienced racers trash the diffs in a race.
Durango, I really don't know. Not many people run them.

My suggestion would be to look into the Xray XT9 or XT8, the 9 is the latest version. Those trucks are truly bullet proof. I raced the XT8 for 3 years and suffered 1 DNF. Let that sink in, 3 years of racing the same truck and only had 1 race where I didn't finish due to a broken part. The part was a 3 year old rod end that was just worn out. I can assure you that you won't be coming close to that with any of the trucks you're looking at.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

For me I have NEVER lost a diff in ANY Losi car - EVER. Alum diff bearing holders and shim it tight... No issues.

I have not broken my 8ight T 2.0... Nope.. Parts wear out, but they dont "break"
Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The 2.0T is a great Truggy but the rear diff does need a little more attention than some of the others. Just keep it tight and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vandalzzz View Post
All i know is 'durable' != 'mbx6t'
Code:
$A = "MBX6t";
$B = "S811t";
$C = "8t";
$D =" XRAY";
$E = "DNX408t";
$F = "D8t";
$G = "Durable";
$H = "Weak Arms";

if ($G == $A - $H ) {

$G = $B + 1;
$G = $C - 1; echo "Weak rear diff";
$G = $D + 1;
$G = $E + 1; 
$G = $F + 1;

}
Old 04-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masher81 View Post
Code:
$A = "MBX6t";
$B = "S811t";
$C = "8t";
$D =" XRAY";
$E = "DNX408t";
$F = "D8t";
$G = "Durable";
$H = "Weak Arms";

if ($G == $A - $H ) {

$G = $B + 1;
$G = $C - 1; echo "Weak rear diff";
$G = $D + 1;
$G = $E + 1; 
$G = $F + 1;

}

This made me lol.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This is a loaded question.

I will not tell you what car to buy, I will only say -- look at your local racer community to see what they are running and your hobby shop(s) to see what vehicles they have parts for. Then make your choice based on that information... because that will ensure you have the right people and right parts available when you need it.

You can always buy any of the brands mentioned, but if your hobby shop doesn't support parts, you'll need to cover yourself with $200 in spares "just in case" and if no one else runs it, then you'll be on your own for help for the most part.

Good luck and have fun racing.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Regular

yes other than the rear diff in the 2.0.. it is rock solid.....but with proper upkeep and proper setup it is not an issue unlike mugen front arms ....but like kuruption said the ultimate deciding factor would be what you can get parts and help with the easiset would be the way to go early in your rc experience
Old 04-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

But the one I have is the best! Buy the one I have! I would not have it if it wasn't the best. It never breaks and I win every race!

But seriously... you should buy the ST-RR Evo. Its the most expensive, so obviously the best. I have never seen one get beat by any other brand of truck.

No... but really... Shampoo is way better than conditioner.

or maybe conditioner is better...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.