Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Clutch Bell and Bearing >

Clutch Bell and Bearing

Clutch Bell and Bearing

Old 04-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Clutch Bell and Bearing

Are the clutch bell bearings suppose to fit loose inside the recess of the clutch bell? Every clutch bearings (avid bearing) I've tried in the clutch bell fits loose inside the recess of the clutch bell. The bearing would just fall right out if I hold the clutch bell with the bearing facing downward. Is this how it supposed to be?

I think because it is loose, the outer ring of the bearing is spinning inside the recess causing heat build up and wearing out the bearing much faster than it should. The bearings would only last less than 5-6 tanks at most before it would completely fall apart. Even the rubber on the rubber seal would be completely gone causing the seal to fall out. I also see wear marks and discoloration on the outer ring of the bearing which leads me to think that it is spinning inside the recess of the clutch bell and build up excess heat. I have the clutch bell shimmed right and it spins freely but regardless I still get very short life of the bearings which I believe is due to the loose fit of the bearing inside the recess. Is this a common problem? and whats the best way to make the bearing fit tight inside the clutch bell recess or should it?
Old 04-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The loose fit is needed for the expansion when the clutch heats up. Keeps the bearings from cracking. You shouldn't be using rubber seal bearings in the clutch. They aren't made for the RPM load youll see.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

tko special clutch bell bearings for me please , you will not find a better/longer lasting cb bearing on the market guaranteed
Old 04-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Far more heat is built up by the shoes slipping against the bell than the bearings slipping a little in the gear end. There is a lot of pressure from the gear mesh so the bearing outer race does get some more friction when running than just playing with it with your fingers. 5-6 tanks is a race day for me so switching out the bearings after a race day is normal. Usually I practice the next race day with the same bearings then switch out before the qualifiers. If it is a 45min-hour main you should be on fresh bearings also.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:18 PM
JsK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by )EIB( View Post
Are the clutch bell bearings suppose to fit loose inside the recess of the clutch bell? Every clutch bearings (avid bearing) I've tried in the clutch bell fits loose inside the recess of the clutch bell. The bearing would just fall right out if I hold the clutch bell with the bearing facing downward. Is this how it supposed to be?

I think because it is loose, the outer ring of the bearing is spinning inside the recess causing heat build up and wearing out the bearing much faster than it should. The bearings would only last less than 5-6 tanks at most before it would completely fall apart. Even the rubber on the rubber seal would be completely gone causing the seal to fall out. I also see wear marks and discoloration on the outer ring of the bearing which leads me to think that it is spinning inside the recess of the clutch bell and build up excess heat. I have the clutch bell shimmed right and it spins freely but regardless I still get very short life of the bearings which I believe is due to the loose fit of the bearing inside the recess. Is this a common problem? and whats the best way to make the bearing fit tight inside the clutch bell recess or should it?
Sounds to me like you have it shimmed up a bit to tight. Try pulling out one
shim and try again with new bearings. Better to run it a bit loose than tight.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by houston View Post
tko special clutch bell bearings for me please , you will not find a better/longer lasting cb bearing on the market guaranteed
What about the kyosho 5x10???
Old 04-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston View Post
+1
just make sure the blue seals face in towards each other
Old 04-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

im using Marine 5 x 4 . enough RPM for me.. last longer in A main 1 hour race.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for all the advice guys!