Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Difference in long or short stroke for 1/8buggy >

Difference in long or short stroke for 1/8buggy

Difference in long or short stroke for 1/8buggy

Old 04-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Difference in long or short stroke for 1/8buggy

Okay, I know long strokes give more torque and short strokes usually give more HP with faster rev time/spool faster top speed. So can some people that have experience with both types please give their preference and why. I am looking at the Novarossi BONITO21-7XLB Engine .21 Off Road 7 Port Turbo Vs the Novarossi P5XLT Engine .21 Off Road 5 Port Turbo, i know the P5XLT is still long stroke compared to some but know where near the stroke of the Bonito. is the P5 just the better all around motor or is the Bonito considered the better of the two, as the bonito wouldnt it have the much better torque for say coming around a hairpin and then having to take a large jump, that its better torque would make a given jump eqsier to clear with little run up.but then again doesnt Adam Drake run the BTT4 so to make this longer question, why does he run that when he can choose any Nova he wants.....sorry for drawing it out
Old 04-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SIKE00 View Post
Okay, I know long strokes give more torque and short strokes usually give more HP with faster rev time/spool faster top speed. So can some people that have experience with both types please give their preference and why. I am looking at the Novarossi BONITO21-7XLB Engine .21 Off Road 7 Port Turbo Vs the Novarossi P5XLT Engine .21 Off Road 5 Port Turbo, i know the P5XLT is still long stroke compared to some but know where near the stroke of the Bonito. is the P5 just the better all around motor or is the Bonito considered the better of the two, as the bonito wouldnt it have the much better torque for say coming around a hairpin and then having to take a large jump, that its better torque would make a given jump eqsier to clear with little run up.but then again doesnt Adam Drake run the BTT4 so to make this longer question, why does he run that when he can choose any Nova he wants.....sorry for drawing it out
The bonito was originally designed for truggy from what I know. The bonito is a ton of engine for buggy. I have only seen some of the top fast guys around my area running a 7port nova in buggy. The p5 is a great all around engine. It has tons of bottom for powering out of corners or short run ups to jumps. It's is not the smoothest but it rips. The btt4 is a great buggy engine. Probably the smoothest of the 3. That is why I think drake runs it. It had the power for anything u could think of But is very smooth at the same time. And not so much like a switch like the p5 or the bonito. If your going to run the bonito in a buggy u better have some skill on the wheel! Lol!!!!! I don't run the btt4 but I have ran the p5. In a buggy. It was tons of power. My son runs the bonito in his truggy its a beast. I run the maxy's cinco bt. In buggy it is a 5 port nova based engine that has been messaged out it has tons of power and is very smooth. Amazing engine! Check them out.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

In general long-stroke tends to be a more torquey engines, short-strokes are higher revving top-end power engines and square-stroke engines are a good blend of both. For off-road I would stick with long-strokes.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

they are both long stroke... the only short stroke engine i know of was the vzb and engines made by os for other companies
Old 04-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Wish they would bring back the VZB.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Long/short stroke doesn't work the same with 2-strokes as 4-strokes because intake/exhaust timing is dependent on stroke length with 2-strokes. Longer open durations generally result in more power & rpm over other traits from what I understand.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
Wish they would bring back the VZB.
Arrow GTR II is a VZB knock off. Actually a really good engine for the money. I bought two, so far so good. These things never quit pulling.