Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Ryan Lutz and Team Durango >

Ryan Lutz and Team Durango

Ryan Lutz and Team Durango

Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Ryan Lutz and Team Durango

I've seen video of the guy and he can drive his ass off. So it stumps me that his not winning. Is the DNX not a good car or is it something else.

Also, why does durango make such good E cars but fall short on nitro?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Probably would of won PNB if not for a flameout.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silo View Post
I've seen video of the guy and he can drive his ass off. So it stumps me that his not winning. Is the DNX not a good car or is it something else.

Lutz wins tons of races... so, I'm a bit confused at this. He races a lot of big events and not everything works out so he doesn't win all his races. He is always up there though. He said the new Nitro is on the horizon. I can't recall the date he approximated. I'm just backing up my favorite driver. He is one of a kind.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Have you seen videos of all the other top drivers in the US and world? They can drive their ass off also. It takes a lot to win the big ones.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silo View Post

This is a crazy comment. Check out www.lutzinator.com for his race results. Normally he races 3 to 5 classes at events and A-mains all of them if not TQing them, and wins many classes. Also helping anyone that needs it being the friendliest guy at the track. You definitely can not win them all and dont forget he is Durango's top main driver in 1/8 Nitro so he is the guy that is testing new parts and set-ups for Durango. At times even admitting that the car was not good at the event because of test parts.

2013 looks to have been pretty good to me for Lutz....

Old 04-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Agreed, crazy talk. The only thing that has any merit, is that perhaps the original DNX wasn't exact what everyone had hoped. The new proto is outstanding and very competitive. Lutz has always been near the front with the truggy as well.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know he wins, but most of his wins come in electric, thats why I posted this in the nitro section.

EDIT: I mean no offense to Ryan, he's my favorite driver right now.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

The car he is driving right now is nothing like the current DNX408v2. Like some comments above he is the testing guy for them. I think the release of the DNX408v3 is set for the end of the summer. I cant wait to see it and get one for next year
Old 04-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I'd like to see him win the Worlds. He's a very good driver and an even better company rep. Always friendly and helpful. Seems at the really, really big races, he runs into bad luck sometimes.

He also has a very unique driving style, which is really evident when he is running truggy. Lot of fun to watch.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Ryan Lutz is an amazing representative for his sponsors and for RC racing as a whole and one heck of a wheel man on top of that.

I've only been to two races with Mr. Lutz, but at both of those races he raced every class and did his own wrenching. I wonder if the workload catches up with him on nitro. afterall they are more finicky than electric.

Also at PNB this year he was out doing backflips and trying to hit the roof with an e-buggy right before the Nitro Buggy A-Main...

I feel like he is more concerned with representing his sponsors in an excellent mannir and putting on a show for the paying customers than he is winning races. Dont get me wrong, he always races hard and races to win, but He doesnt strike me as the win at all cost type or the type that will beat himself up for the next week if he comes in third.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

He is just a all around racer. He will be back on top within time. He will get his buggy platform were it needs to be and then he will be up top weekly. The original buggy was not the greatest as we all know. It will get there.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DPS148 View Post
The car he is driving right now is nothing like the current DNX408v2.
Exactly. It has nothing to do with the car on sale in the stores. Zero in common.

I do hope they get a car out that resembles what he actually races, otherwise it seems just like bait-and-switch.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by phillypete View Post
I feel like he is more concerned with representing his sponsors in an excellent mannir and putting on a show for the paying customers than he is winning races.
Isn't that a good thing?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phillypete View Post
Ryan Lutz is an amazing representative for his sponsors and for RC racing as a whole and one heck of a wheel man on top of that.

I've only been to two races with Mr. Lutz, but at both of those races he raced every class and did his own wrenching. I wonder if the workload catches up with him on nitro. afterall they are more finicky than electric.

Also at PNB this year he was out doing backflips and trying to hit the roof with an e-buggy right before the Nitro Buggy A-Main...

I feel like he is more concerned with representing his sponsors in an excellent mannir and putting on a show for the paying customers than he is winning races. Dont get me wrong, he always races hard and races to win, but He doesnt strike me as the win at all cost type or the type that will beat himself up for the next week if he comes in third.
From what I understand the PNB is kinda about that. No other race that has guys walking around in scary costumes and jumps designed to launch you car 60 feet straight up. Personally as this is a hobby for many of us I would rather my son see someone doing well at events and having fun then a win at all cost attitude. We have enough Pro drivers hacking their way to 1st or tossing their radios after losing with "their win at all cost attitudes". Which like most professional athletes should be fined for acting that way. Sometime nice guys finish last but thanks for the show Mr. Lutz.

Also I see other teams having a much larger team than Durango does. In my area I see lots of AE and Kyosho team drivers but no only one Durango driver. I only know of two names that are on TD in the USA. This leaves them to be "the guys" to test and tune with not many other guys to work on the TD products with at races. TD/hobbico needs to step up with some local team support and get product on the track.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Please don't misunderstand my comments, I think Ryan is is the model of what a factory driver should be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service