Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
LST XXL-2 Gasoline motor in 1/8 buggy or truggy? >

LST XXL-2 Gasoline motor in 1/8 buggy or truggy?

LST XXL-2 Gasoline motor in 1/8 buggy or truggy?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default LST XXL-2 Gasoline motor in 1/8 buggy or truggy?

I saw this on the Losi website.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOS04002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eyE43QJyjQ

Wonder when we can have one of these gasoline engines in a 1/8 buggy and truggy? No more chasing tune. This could be the innovation that brings me back from electric.

I'm sure there will be plenty of haters following this post, but to me this is the kind of thing that can reinvigorate the internal combustion racing.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
I saw this on the Losi website.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOS04002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eyE43QJyjQ

Wonder when we can have one of these gasoline engines in a 1/8 buggy and truggy? No more chasing tune. This could be the innovation that brings me back from electric.

I'm sure there will be plenty of haters following this post, but to me this is the kind of thing that can reinvigorate the internal combustion racing.
The biggest problem is the gas motor does not turn nearly the rpm of the nitro motors. You would have to run a 2 speed gearbox. Losi did some initial testing with the motor in a truggy at Revelation raceway. I wish they would give us a look at that mule.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MX304 View Post
The biggest problem is the gas motor does not turn nearly the rpm of the nitro motors. You would have to run a 2 speed gearbox. Losi did some initial testing with the motor in a truggy at Revelation raceway. I wish they would give us a look at that mule.
The video certainly makes it look like its got the power and rpm. It hauls that big lst around with authority!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All in time...
Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
The video certainly makes it look like its got the power and rpm. It hauls that big lst around with authority!
The LST has a 2 speed transmission. That's why it works so well.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The problem is the engine case. Look at HPIs release photo of their gas engine in a D8T. They had to grind down the side guard and remove the rear tank mount. The overall case size is similar, but the mounting width is a lot wider and now you have to mount an ignition box somewhere. These engines are also heavy. Ringed pistons wear out and dont rev as high. Yes its throwing the truck around, but it still looks like the nitro has it beat in accel and top speed.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default ......

I'm willing to bet that there already working on a conversion kit for the buggy and truggy. I'm also willing to bet that other engine makers are working on a 1/8 scale gasoline engine. I would say by next summer you will see tracks all over hosting some sort of class for these. I see it as a positive 4.00 for fuel vs.35.00 no more 10 dollar glow plugs and 30 min of run time is great.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hoese37 View Post
The problem is the engine case. Look at HPIs release photo of their gas engine in a D8T. They had to grind down the side guard and remove the rear tank mount. The overall case size is similar, but the mounting width is a lot wider and now you have to mount an ignition box somewhere. These engines are also heavy. Ringed pistons wear out and dont rev as high. Yes its throwing the truck around, but it still looks like the nitro has it beat in accel and top speed.
[IMG]http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/forumupload/d8tgas4.jpg
I believe that engine is dead. The Savage Octane (what's actually being produced) has a different engine. Also note the exhaust exiting on the wrong side. Also note the 23 tooth clutchbell - a clear attempt to makeup for lack of topend RPM. Existing chassis cutouts for engine mounts don't have the adustability.

Originally Posted by jhold87 View Post
I'm willing to bet that there already working on a conversion kit for the buggy and truggy. I'm also willing to bet that other engine makers are working on a 1/8 scale gasoline engine. I would say by next summer you will see tracks all over hosting some sort of class for these.
Tracks running gasoline buggy/truggy classes by next summer? What's the wager?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rsickles View Post

Tracks running gasoline buggy/truggy classes by next summer? What's the wager?
Maybe a return of Monster Truck class?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Just for the record. According to Todd Hodge (Losi) their gasser has no rings, spins to 29,500 rpm's and is getting longer life than nitro engines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rTOrjTYv-4

Last edited by nitroexpress; 04-08-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Tech Champion

For all-out fun and performance those engines have a while to go before they can hang with nitro.. I have an LRP ZR.30X in my LST2, and it's significantly faster, snappier, and more powerful than that thing. It's great that they're trying to innovate and do something new, but I still love my nitros. Those gas engines for 8th scale look to me like they still need a couple years.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

The HPI engine is a lot bigger than what Losi is doing. The Losi engine case is not much bigger than a .21 nitro motor, but the head is larger.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
spins to 29,500 rpm's and is getting longer life than nitro engines.
geared 45/17, truck(4.3) or buggy(3.3), might have the legs...

Seems doable... hmmmm.... That's not an unreasonable spur/cb combo either... exactly what is in my buggy with 4.3 final.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

I believe the Losi motor is much superior to the HPI in terms of carryover to a racing class such as buggy or truggy. Add the Losi EFI system and it could get interesting. I also believe that the gas motor will probably never match the nitro in shear performance. That being said, does it have to? Gassers don't have to race against/with nitros. At the club level, all sort of strange things happen. Nitros running with electrics. Such an abomination!

ROAR didn't want to touch the 1/5 Baja gassers, so I doubt that ROAR will ever (in this lifetime) create a gas class for buggys, truggys or whatever. But at the club level it could flourish if it runs by itself.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
I believe the Losi motor is much superior to the HPI in terms of carryover to a racing class such as buggy or truggy. Add the Losi EFI system and it could get interesting. I also believe that the gas motor will probably never match the nitro in shear performance. That being said, does it have to? Gassers don't have to race against/with nitros. At the club level, all sort of strange things happen. Nitros running with electrics. Such an abomination!

ROAR didn't want to touch the 1/5 Baja gassers, so I doubt that ROAR will ever (in this lifetime) create a gas class for buggys, truggys or whatever. But at the club level it could flourish if it runs by itself.
ROAR doesn't do anything until they are forced too. If it catches on and people start racing it they will make rules for it.

If losi offered something that was a drop in system for their 8 buggies I would consider picking it up for club racing. Simplicity is the primary reason I would want it. The way turnout for nitro club races around here has been, I cant see anyone turning me away to race. Its been struggling really badly except for the big races. Need all the entries they can get.

Last edited by jhautz; 04-08-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.