Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Revo Optidrive? >

Revo Optidrive?

Revo Optidrive?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Arrow Revo Optidrive?

I have tried to do my best on find the answer before posting here but found a lot of mixed opinions. Im looking to remove the optidrive as I really couldn't care less about reverse (or the built in fail safe). Some threads I have seen mentions that the optidrive controls the 1-2 gear shift, but the 2 speed is all mechanically controlled is it not?

Thanks for any help
Old 04-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Only Traxxas offers a no-compromise reversing transmission with seamless power delivery, positive engagement, and smooth, responsive acceleration in forward and reverse. You get all the fun and convenience of reversing capability, without the penalty of weight and complexity inherent in an all-mechanical system. The secret is Traxxas' exclusive OptiDrive Electronic Shift Module, a microprocessor-based controller that senses vehicle speed and optimizes forward and reverse shifting. OptiDrive allows constant drive engagement, so shifts are fast and seamless. The electronic control also prevents accidental shifting at speed; the shift module will only allow the transmission to shift when the Revo 3.3 has slowed to a safe speed. In addition to providing the absolute best performance, the OptiDrive system allows a lighter transmission with fewer moving parts for reduced inertial mass and greater torque handling.- Direct from traxxas
Old 04-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Ain't Google great?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Man! This one really tested my brain cells because it has been years since I had a Revo.

Traxxas offers a "Forward Only Conversion" kit. Part number is 5394X. It eliminates reverse (obviously) and also eliminates the OptiDrive. You still maintain the 2 speed function.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All the optidrive does is make it so you cant toss it into Reverse while driving forward .... i think i took mine off the 2nd day I had it ....
Old 04-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Just make sure you put a failsafe on it after getting rid of the optidrive, because that is also a failsafe. Putting the car in neutral when no TX/RX is present.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I already have a radio with the failsafe feature built in, so I am not really worried about that part. Thank you guys for the replies