Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Transponder repair ?? >

Transponder repair ??

Transponder repair ??

Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Default Transponder repair ??

Are transponders repairable ? Mine stop blinking thought it was the battery, changed battery and still no blinking light . Check transponder and both black and red wire were loose both pulled right out of molding . How do you guys fix these little things? Thanks
Old 04-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't know who provides this repair service but since it's not working anyway, you may try a DIY approach :
I had a similar situation with an older AMB with only 1 wire loose.
Using an exacto knife I ended up cutting open the end where the wire enters the transponder - not sure if I resoldered but somehow got the wire connected back in then filled up the whole thing with shoe goo and it's been like that for one season now with no issues.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:57 PM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This guy is the only person i know that fixes them

http://www.transponderservices.com/
Old 04-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you can go to your hobby shop and buy new plug ends. It comes with the pins and plugs
Old 04-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If you send it back to AMB they repair it and ship it back to you. I've done it twice.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
If you send it back to AMB they repair it and ship it back to you. I've done it twice.
I have a loose or broken wire going inside the case of my MyLaps Hybrid. What did they charge you to fix yours?

I'm considering just cutting the black rubber out of the bottom and hoping the solder joints are right there for re-soldering. Anyone know if the joints are reasonable accessible? The old AMBs were in the middle of the case and not easy to get to if I remember correctly.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

I have done this myself... kinda nerve racking... and not pretty, but it's worked perfect every since.

Not saying everyone should fix their own, but if you are like me and can fix stuff and have zero patience to wait, it's possible
Old 06-26-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by iphatbob View Post

I'm considering just cutting the black rubber out of the bottom and hoping the solder joints are right there for re-soldering. Anyone know if the joints are reasonable accessible? The old AMBs were in the middle of the case and not easy to get to if I remember correctly.

I just sanded and cut into mine with a razor and dremel. Got enough wire exposed to re-solder, then did that, and covered it all up with shoe goo. I rum mine in the radio case though, so it's not exposed to whatever might make it come part.

But you are repairing the wire. Getting to the actual board where the joints are wouldn't be advisable IMO.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

I found this, http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...ansponder.html

I now have some pictures showing where the wires connect to the board and what to expect. I'm going to give it a go tonight. I guess I have nothing to lose at this point.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

That's how I was. It sat broken for so long... good luck! It's not too hard, really. Just make sure you don't get into the LED.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Addict

It's far from pretty but It seems to be working. I just used a cutting wheel and hot soldering Iron to get to where the old wires ended. I really just left a piece of the the old wires in the epoxy and soldered the new wires on top. I don't think I got down to the board. Pretty easy really. The more I tried to make it look better the worse it looked. I'll fill the hole in with Shoe Glue after I confirm it works this weekend. The LED light still flashes like a champ! Hope this helps the next guy that comes along this thread.
Attached Thumbnails Transponder repair ??-mylapfix_sm.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

That's pretty much what I did. Looking at that thread you posted, I didn't see any way mine was coming out of case. From what I could tell, the board is completely epoxied in.

I shoegooed mine into the holder also, just to be safe.