Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
entry level nitro 1/8 buggy. >

entry level nitro 1/8 buggy.

entry level nitro 1/8 buggy.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default entry level nitro 1/8 buggy.

im looking into trying nitro. I have had a savage a few years back but never raced with nitro. want to get something rtr i can throw down in the nitro sportsman class. yes i know i should spend a lot more. there is a local track that i really want to start running on more.

i normally race 2wd classes (st,sc) but i have had 2 ebuggys before(8.2, hb ve8)

ive narrowed it down to duratrax 835b or kyosho neo 2.0 rtr. What are your guys thoughs. i can get the durtrax for 295 or the 325 shipped. so its not the cost difference. i was leaning toward the kyosho cause i think it would handle better but would the duratrax be more durable?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by trick25 View Post
im looking into trying nitro. I have had a savage a few years back but never raced with nitro. want to get something rtr i can throw down in the nitro sportsman class. yes i know i should spend a lot more. there is a local track that i really want to start running on more.

i normally race 2wd classes (st,sc) but i have had 2 ebuggys before(8.2, hb ve8)

ive narrowed it down to duratrax 835b or kyosho neo 2.0 rtr. What are your guys thoughs. i can get the durtrax for 295 or the 325 shipped. so its not the cost difference. i was leaning toward the kyosho cause i think it would handle better but would the duratrax be more durable?
Give Ofna a try. They have a buggy 8 and the ultra lx2 both really reasonable
Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

had a ofna conversion long time ago. i dont like how they handle.

also looked at the jq rtr. but i dont like how the shocks are not threaded.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Stay far away from any rtr buggies..

Look for a race level kit roller in the for sale threads..

With racing u want a good chassis, and rtr buggies will turn u away
From nitro racing if u try to race the rtr..
Old 03-31-2014, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

ok. thanks for the input. i just did not want to dump over 500 bucks on a class i really dont know if i will enjoy. and im thinking of getting a starter box. i dont trust used nitro stuff.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Maybe look at the x3 sabre rtr. I have the pro version and honestly they handle more like the current buggies in the market. If your thinking kyosho go with the mp9 rs way better buggy than the neo is.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:16 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the kyosho looks like it has plastic shocks.
overall the kyosho looks to be the worse of the two just by glancing at pictures. heck it's full of philips head screws. which I hate.

rtr kits are always a compromise. I think after having done it myself you should hold out for a kit instead. it's so much better in the long run to spend a little extra now instead of buying everything all over again for a better one.
the first thing you're going to realize is the servos are inadequate. so there goes you spending another pile of cash right away.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

very true. i did not see the screws. then i have seen some good reviews on the duratrax.

back to teh drawing board. i have some metal gear servos slower but strong that are just in the parts bin. is there a cheap engine that is decent that is less than 150?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

very true. i did not see the screws. then i have seen some good reviews on the duratrax.

back to teh drawing board. i have some metal gear servos slower but strong that are just in the parts bin. is there a cheap engine that is decent that is less than 150?
HYeah go for the Werks b5 with the Werks 2013 tuned pipe
Old 03-31-2014, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

Yes i run a dynamite mach 21 in my mp9

Cost me 120 bucks and i got 8 gallons on it ..

I just sent it to rw mods for a pinch i coould of
Gotten another gallon out of it before the pinch also..

I would say i got my moneys worth out of the engine..

I also run a novarossi p3xs in my truggy that engine also lasted

Me a very long time .. 7 gallons before pinch.. engine was 160 bucks..

Alot of good engines in the 150-200 dollar range..

Also i scored a gently used hot bodies d8 buggy for 90 bucks on rctech

For sale thread. Its a backup/spare buggy but very capable..

So look around im sure u can get a good buggy plus everything

To get u running for under 500 dollars
Old 03-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

If you already owned the 8.2 and ve8 elec cars, you won't be happy with a RTR. Don't bother with cheap engines as you will be chasing for the tune, and get frustrated at the end. $200+ will be your starting point for engines. If the nitro community at your track is strong, and you like race environments, I don't see why you won't enjoy the class. And if you don't like the class for whatever reason, it is much easier to sell off "good" stuff.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-8ight-2...item1c3de8b7ae

add this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOSR2345-Los...item5403f476ff

isn't half bad.

find yourself a losi RE11 pipe and it screams with this combo. I was lucky enough to find one for $30. just have to keep an eye out for one. this is what the team drivers use as they like the high end power delivery of it. it really made the huge difference over the rtr pipe I had with the motor.

I have this setup and I'm very happy with it's performance for a RTR kit engine it does very well and holds a tune with 30% very very good.

also I've bought a few things from the lumidave on ebay. he's super fast a shipping and the parts are always as he states they are.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing View Post
this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-8ight-2...item1c3de8b7ae

add this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOSR2345-Los...item5403f476ff

isn't half bad.

find yourself a losi RE11 pipe and it screams with this combo.
+1 on the losi pipes
Old 03-31-2014, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

yeah i was looking at the dynamite motor.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbones View Post
If you already owned the 8.2 and ve8 elec cars, you won't be happy with a RTR. Don't bother with cheap engines as you will be chasing for the tune, and get frustrated at the end. $200+ will be your starting point for engines. If the nitro community at your track is strong, and you like race environments, I don't see why you won't enjoy the class. And if you don't like the class for whatever reason, it is much easier to sell off "good" stuff.
if you must buy a rtr then try to find a losi 2.0 rtr. i absolutly is the best bang for your racing buck. comes with everything you to race. decent engine spektrum dx3s radio. starter box. and with the 3.0 out. they are on the cheap. like 550 to 600. if not like the others have said. buy good components for less hassle. you get what you pay for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.