Diff Oil

Old 03-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Diff Oil

I just put 7000 in the front, 7000 in the center and 3000 in the rear diff. I noticed that the center diff is pretty much locked up, is this normal? When pushing my buggy forward or backwards, it seems to be on the breaks. Help would be much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Definitely not, if I'm understanding this correctly.

For sure do not run your car like that.

Something may have went wrong upon assembly after you changed oils.

Each time you reassemble the diffs, you should turn one of the outdrives to feel how smoothly the gears are turning on the inside, before you install them back in the car.

If your front and center diff are both 7K, they should feel the same.

Also, check and make sure you installed the differential correctly in the bulkhead. Some manufacturers allow you to put the diff in the bulkhead with the ring gear on either the left or right side. This allows the possibility of the front axle moving in one direction and the rear axle moving the opposite if one of the ring gears is on the wrong side (you can check this though just by taking your car off the ground and spinning the center driveline manually). It's always good to verify the direction of travel after you put the differentials together.

Hope this helps; post futher details, otherwise it's a little hard to isolate the problem without more info.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shaman89
I just put 7000 in the front, 7000 in the center and 3000 in the rear diff. I noticed that the center diff is pretty much locked up, is this normal? When pushing my buggy forward or backwards, it seems to be on the breaks. Help would be much appreciated.
What car you have?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sounds like either a shim or gasket is missing in the center or the front or rear diff is in the bulkhead the wrong direction.