Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Problems with t maxx >

Problems with t maxx

Problems with t maxx

Old 03-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Problems with t maxx

I bought a used t maxx and it is my first nitro rc car. I can't seem to get it started. It has been modified from original. Can I get some suggestions and/or tips on how to get it running or just in general about nitro rc?

Here are some pics to help show how it is setup.
Problems with t maxx-image.jpg
Old 03-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wlkelly09 View Post
I bought a used t maxx and it is my first nitro rc car. I can't seem to get it started. It has been modified from original. Can I get some suggestions and/or tips on how to get it running or just in general about nitro rc?

Here are some pics to help show how it is setup.
Attachment 1180062
Did the person that sold it to you show you that it ran?

Check a few things first. Using your finger, try and rotate the flywheel. The engine should have compression and prevent you from being able to rotate it all the way around without a fair amount (or better yet, quite a bit of resistance). If it just spins easily the engine is toast.

Make sure there are no kinks in the fuel lines.

Adjust the collar on the throttle linkage so that when the throttle servo starts turning, it starts opening the carb. A little bit of a gap is ok, but in your picture it looks like you have an inch of slop. Make sure the servo can actually operate the carburetor meaning that the slide, slides.

If you have a heat gun or hair dryer to pre-heat the engine use it. Looking for 200 degrees or a little more.

Turn in the idle speed screw a 1/4 of a turn just to be sure that it's not closed. (If you want to verify it's truly open, take off the air filter, take the restrictor out of the throat of the carburetor. Looking down the throat, make sure there is a .5mm to .7mm gap between the slide and the housing. Adjust this using the idle screw). Try and restart.

You may want to back the low speed needle out until it is flush with the housing and the high speed needle out a little. It doesn't need to be flush. The reason is just to be sure that they aren't screwed in so far that they are preventing the fuel from flowing in. If and when the engine starts, they'll need to be re-tuned, but for now it'll be fine.

Next, take out the glow plug and make sure nothing falls inside the engine. Maybe even turn the truck on its side while doing this. Attach your glow ignitor to the plug. EVERY coil must be bright. If it doesn't light, the glow ignitor is dead or the plug needs to be replaced. If some coils light, but any other coil (including the one that is nearest the surface) doesn't, replace the plug. The coils must not be deranged. Look carefully. If they are replace the plug. Really, it's probably best to just change the plug regardless. Get a relatively hot plug.

If either of these were an issue and have now been recitified, try and restart.

If it still doesn't start, disconnect the hose from the exhaust pipe and blow into it. You should be able to see fuel flowing within the line from the tank to the engine. Carefully disconnect the fuel line at the carb and make sure fuel flows out when you blow. Have a rag handy to absorb the fuel. If the fuel flows, good. If not, back track and find where it last stopped flowing.

If there was an obstruction, rectify it and try and restart.

If it still doesn't start try new fuel. Completely drain the tank and fuel lines and then add new fuel. Disconnect in the line at the exhaust pipe and blow to get the fuel to the carb. Reconnect the exhaust line and try and start.

If it still doesn't start take out the high speed needle assembly and make sure there are no obstructions. Re-assemble and try and restart.

Let me know if this works.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Tech Initiate

The flywheel does spin pretty easily. Is it for sure shot if it does spin easily? I have not tried anything you suggested yet. But it all sounds really useful and thank you for the info. I don't know a lot about the parts of the engine but ill research it and find out. The truck came with a smaller engine so I may have to switch them. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Can someone tell me if the engine is for sure shot please
Old 04-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wlkelly09 View Post
Can someone tell me if the engine is for sure shot please
Did you try all the steps in post #2?

Buying a used engine in a used vehicle is really pot luck, unless you know and trust the seller.