tuning help!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default tuning help!

Just broke in my savage 4.6 and I ran the 2 tanks idling then the 3 and 4 tank I drove in circles at 1/4 throttle....now I need to tune the engine but needed some input..when I hit 1/2 throttle it runs great but when I hit the trigger at full throttle it starts sputtering a little bit and doesn't seem to be as powerful as the first few times I went to full,,,it idles great and starts out great its just when I hit full throttle that kind of dies off,all the needles are at factory settings and my emps are at 190. Any suggestions? thanks guys

Last edited by basherdave; 03-21-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That's a great video. The only things I would add that weren't clear enough in the video is that you need to run your truck longer (like 5 minutes) to get the engine up to operating tempurature before tuning. You also needed a longer run way. When doing the high speed needle (the first one he works on) you're mostly looking to see if the engine is clearing out on top... the upper rpm ranges. Don't worry about the acceleration off the line and the mid range really. A really rich bottom, like when you first start tuning a new engine, isn't going to allow a crisp take off so don't let that worry you at the point of tuning the high speed needle. That I don't think was clear enough in the video.

When you move on to the low speed needle (the second needle he tunes) just keep in mind that the idle will go up the more you lean that needle. Lower the idle as needed. Adjusting this needle will clean up the acceleration from a standing stop.

I've seen it where someone will tune an engine and lower the idle too far, but it still runs ok when it's totally warmed up. The next time they try and start it, it won't start. Keep that in mind. If it inexplicably doesn't start turn the idle up 1/4 turn and try again.

The other thing to keep in mind when your engine inexplicably doesn't start is that your glow plug may need to be changed. Keep this in mind as well. Expect this to happen at some point.

Last thing, if you get lost in your tune, richen the needles up (counter clockwise to flush with the housing would be the most) and start over. Sometimes you can think your tune is good and then for some reason it doesn't want to run right so you can get mixed up on which needle to turn which way. I think it's a good idea to just richen all your needles once in a while and retune so you can get really comfortable with tuning.