Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How do I race 1/8 nitro buggy >

How do I race 1/8 nitro buggy

How do I race 1/8 nitro buggy

Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Unhappy How do I race 1/8 nitro buggy

I have been using 1/10 electric race kits from kyosho for a while now I want to step my game up and start racing outside!! my only question is how???
I don't know what to take for the first time and what to expect. I want to know what to take for example table,pit towle, power cords pit light . I also want to ask for any opinions on buying kits, me being dedicated for kyosho is nice and all and I know the MP9 TKI-III is one of the best if not the best 1/8 nitro buggy out on the market but you have to admit for a 15 year old it sort of breaks the bank, I mean I can get it with help of parents and stuff but I was looking at other kits like th Mugen MBX7 or the TLR 8ight 3.0 for second options. I also could use some help selecting a nitro motor, the motors I was already looking at where the REDS R5 team edition 2,Novarossi Beat mugen motor,Alpha ryan lutz edition,O.S speed 21XZ B Spec II "Tuned" buggy motor,Novarossi S21P5XLT .21 5 port so on so forth, motor options are huge and creat stress lol. Servo wise it's going to be either JR or Hitec, Radio Futaba 4pks R, I don't know what bump box,glow ignitor and reciver lipo to get and what brand to get??I have ran nitro in the past but not racing wise . Any input would be nice. Thanks a lot
Old 03-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think first off: Go to the local track and look at what the guys stock on their tables and make a note on wht u need to bring. Most racers are friendly and wouldnt mind sharing with you wht is needed.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Things to take to the track.

Pop up tent, table, lots of extension cords, 6 way power adapter, chair, food, drinking water, pit lights, flash lights, a change of cloths, SUNSCREEN and of course your RC related tools cars chargers etc. (I like to bring a small grill also)

You can get away with not having all of this stuff but It's what I like to have handy.

As far as kits go, any of the kits mentioned are good kits and will serve you well. See what other people are driving so you can get setup help and perhaps a spare part if needed.

The Ofna blue Truggy box is the starter box you will want to get.

If you are new to racing nitro engines I would get something inexpensive as a first engine. Like a Werks B2 or B5. You will more then likely blow an engine up and or damage it as you are learning. The Nova S21P5XLT(that you mentioned) is a good motor and is hard to kill.. but is a little hard to break in and can be finicky to tune.. but is not a bad choice at all (paired with a 9901 or RE12 pipe)

Brand of servos are not that big of a deal. I would go with High Voltage servos so you can run a LIPO receiver pack. I personally have had good look with Savox and Spektrum High Voltage servos but any brand will work.

I like the HotShot glow ignitor. If you get non rechargeable one.. I wold stay away from any that use C or D batteries and be sure to get one that uses Double A (AA) batteries. The ones that use C or D batteries don't seem to hold a charge very long at all.

That's my advice from personal experience. Others with more experience may be able to give you some better advice.

P.S. buy good fuel!!.. Byrons, VP Powermaster, Nitrotane (30%) no cheap RTR donnel stuff
Old 03-19-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by masher81 View Post

Pop up tent, table, lots of extension cords, 6 way power adapter, chair, food, drinking water, pit lights, flash lights, a change of cloths, SUNSCREEN and of course your RC related tools cars chargers etc. (I like to bring a small grill also)

You can get away with not having all of this stuff but It's what I like to have handy.

As far as kits go, any of the kits mentioned are good kits and will serve you well. See what other people are driving so you can get setup help and perhaps a spare part if needed.

If you are new to racing nitro engines I would get something inexpensive as a first engine. Like a Werks B2 or B5. You will more then likely blow an engine up and or damage it as you are learning. The Nova S21P5XLT(that you mentioned) is a good motor and is hard to kill.. but is a little hard to break in and can be finicky to tune.. but is not a bad choice at all (paired with a 9901 or RE12 pipe)

Brand of servos are not that big of a deal. I would go with High Voltage servos so you can run a LIPO receiver pack. I personally have had good look with Savox and Spektrum High Voltage servos but any brand will work.

I like the HotShot glow ignitor. If you get non rechargeable one.. I wold stay away from any that use C or D batteries and be sure to get one that uses Double A (AA) batteries. The ones that use C or D batteries don't seem to hold a charge very long at all.

That's my advice from personal experience. Others with more experience may be able to give you some better advice.

P.S. buy good fuel!!.. Byrons, VP Powermaster, Nitrotane (30%) no cheap RTR donnel stuff
Thank you very much this helped a lot!! On the part you said if I am new to racing engines, my dad races 1/8 nitro on road but I don't like racing that class but I do tune motors for friends and my dad. Any more infor on motors??? the 2 I was looking at the most was 1. the REDS R5"Team Edition 2" and the Alpha "Ryan Lutz Worlds edition" and maybe a Novarossi but yes your right when you said they are a bit flimsy to tune as I have tuned a novarossi Roma and a Keep Off. they take a while to break in but ounce you have it broken in it runs well! but any more help on motors would be great!! thanks!!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi nitro racers,

I am getting my first nitro buggy (MBX6 with Alpha A852) in a few days so are there any tips for a nitro beginner like me? I am not new to 1:8 offroad, I race an electric MBX6 for some time now, but I am completely new to nitro. I wouldn't like to blow up my engine right at the start
Old 05-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

I have ran Nova Rossi for over 15 Years and love them. Never had a problem tuning any of them. I bet the Reds is good as well. OS Speed is a great engine but costly.

Novarossi/Mugen Beat BT5 .21 Off Road 5 Port Long Stroke Turbo Engine $209.99 right now. Great Price Value

Futaba, KO Propo, Airtronics, Hitec and Savox all make good servo's. It about setting your linkages up properly.

Losi or Mugen will both get the job done if the Kyohso is to much $$$. I'm a Mugen fan.

Love my Mugen starter Box. But I hear the OFNA Truggy Box is great as well.

Have shade and drink lots of water. table and chair you already know

Last edited by Chris Reilly; 05-15-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

good info as I'm going to throw my hat in on 1/8 nitro buggy's as well. Love the electrics but miss the nitro smell and noise.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:37 AM

Trader Rating: 154 (99%+)

I agree with everything said on the page.

Really agree with the previous post that said to get to a track that races 1/8 nitro and just check it out. No better way to get a feel for what you need and would like to use for equipment, than to see it in action for yourself.

A couple of my preferences are -

Lots of good engines out there nowadays (many have been mentioned already), but I prefer the OS Speeds. Pricey, yes. But IMO the most easy to tune, as well as great performance and longevity.

I personally wouldn't use any other starter box then the blue OFNA truggy box. I've tried them all, and MUCH prefer this box.

Different tracks have different amenities, and will dictate what all you need to bring as far as covering, chairs, cords, power, tables, etc... So that's why I agree with the go and check it out and see what you need to run there efficiently.

Have a good time, 1/8 nitro is a VERY fun class!

Brad
Old 03-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masher81 View Post

Biggest thing I think is a decent engine to start out with. Nothing that will leave a bad taste in your mouth. I run a B2 in my MBX7 and love it. I have ran nitro for years and I find that most engines are fairly competitive. Will you get 10 minute stops consistently on a cheaper engine? Probably not but a cheaper engine will let you learn how to tune. It took me 2 or 3 engines to really get good at tuning. Once you can tune like an expert you can get power out of any engine. Also, like quoted above, get good fuel. I personally use Byrons 25% nitro 11% oil and it does good for me. Never had an issue with it. I use an Ofna truggy box and it works well. Get a canopy, lots of extension cords, a 6 way surge protector, a fan, food and water, and then all of your tools and such. Thats about all I take with me. Oh and a good selection of tires.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Another thing you should consider is a Buku end cap. It helps with crank bearing air leaks which allow grit to get into the crank case and accelerate wear.
All the rest of the info above is great
You may want to consider a Tekno nb48 buggy. Handle great and are tough.

Last edited by RaceDayHobbies; 03-04-2015 at 05:39 AM.