alignment

Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Default alignment

Hi there, can anyone assist me on setting my Toe in and toe out..I have no special equipment. is there any simple but effective method?

regards
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What car/truck are we talking about?
Old 03-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Rookie

it a JQ RTR 1/8 Buggy
Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Rookie

JQ RTR 1/8 Buggy, I bought it new a few days ago and the alignment and camber are looking horribly out..as I say, I have no special equipment to true this
Old 03-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
What car/truck are we talking about?
not sure if my post is coming through?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Aceout1 View Post
not sure if my post is coming through?
1/8 JQ RTR Buggy
Old 03-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

You're going to need a camber gauge to get it right. What you can do is measure the camber lengths and ensure they are equal lengths on both sides, same with the steering links. However, without the right tools you will just have to guess on the settings.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

you can use a tape measure to set toe in or out.you can use anything that stands level to sit camber like a paint can.point the wheels straight and sit the can so it's touching the bottom of the tire and if you want -1 camber turn the turnbuckle until there's about a nickels space between the top of the tire and the can.then use the tape measure to measure the toe.won't be perfect but it will get you close.rpm sells camber and toe gauges for pretty cheap.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
You're going to need a camber gauge to get it right. What you can do is measure the camber lengths and ensure they are equal lengths on both sides, same with the steering links. However, without the right tools you will just have to guess on the settings.
Hi, thanks for the advice..I bought a camber gauge today. when setting up must the car be on the deck? I find that the camber changes when the car moves up or down ?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by xxxntwv View Post
you can use a tape measure to set toe in or out.you can use anything that stands level to sit camber like a paint can.point the wheels straight and sit the can so it's touching the bottom of the tire and if you want -1 camber turn the turnbuckle until there's about a nickels space between the top of the tire and the can.then use the tape measure to measure the toe.won't be perfect but it will get you close.rpm sells camber and toe gauges for pretty cheap.
Thanks Kindly, I bought a camber gauge today and started playing, being quit a novice though not sure I'm doing it right. with the car on the wheels I set her up and then when I move the car and check the settings again it seems to be out?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Setting camber

You want to make sure your tires are relatively pointed straight forward. Then pick the car up off the table and drop it from roughly 6-12 inches from the table. Repeat 2-3 times. You want it to rest at its natural ride height. then you can set your camber gauge at say -1 or -2 degees. You will then take your set camber gauge and from the right or from the left bring your gauge up to the tire in question. If your tire is only hitting your camber gauge in one spot you know you need to make an adjustment with the turn buckle. Your goal is to make your tire/wheel contact the entire length of your camber gauge.

You can use your camber gauge to measure toe in/out as well but you need a large flat surface such as a wall or a even better a setup board leaned up against a wall. for this you should probably turn you car electronics on so your servo finds center. Push the front of your car into the wall or board. Then again setting your gauge to a +1 or +2 degrees you place the camber gauge against your vertically stood board or wall and slide it to your tire. and you will make adjustments again until your tire contacts the entire the camber gauge surface.

Take your time. And try to be as consistent as you can be when making your measurements. Its far more important to get both sides as equal as possible.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi, thanks...I have done as you recommended and all looks great. now to the track to test and have some fun.

thanks again
Old 03-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Hey Aceout, theres also a thread on here just for the JQ RTR buggy, worth having a look with more info about the rtr.