Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Truggy Shocks Question >

Truggy Shocks Question

Truggy Shocks Question

Old 02-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Truggy Shocks Question

Hey everyone. I'm looking to upgrade the shocks on my truggy to hopefully some threaded big bore shocks, however, I am having troubles finding and comparing shocks length. From some research, it looks like there is no real standard (i.e. some measure length of shock shaft, others measure overall distance from top eyelet to bottom eyelet). My current truggy (Duratrax Raze ST) has front shocks that measure roughly 105mm overall and rear shocks that measure roughly 125mm overall. If you look at just the shock shaft length they are 51mm front and 60mm rear.

My question(s) are these:

1. Anyone know the overall length of either the Associated RC8T or the Losi 8ight-T 2.0/3.0?
2. Anyone happen to have a truggy with these ball park measurements that have thread big bores?
3. Could I be ok putting shorter length (probably better quality) big bore shocks on this truck?
3a. With the use of big bore shocks, does it allow for the shocks to be shorter since there is more "surface area" for the shock piston?

Any input would be greatly appreciated in my search to create a monster.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey,

I'm not sure if you ever found the answer to this or not but I'm currently rebuilding a used RC8T ce and have all my shocks apart right now.

I'll be happy to measure the different lengths for you, I have shocks from RC8, RC8B, RC8T, and RC8T ce. the only problem I have right now is some have 3mm threat and some only have 2 mm threads. that probably won't matter to you as they length is the same.

I'll do full rod, shaft with out ends on it, and full case for ya.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With the measurements you are noting as far as total length, it appears that the Losi 2.0 Truggy shocks would work.(a good 16mm threaded big bore)With that being said, I am sure that others would be close as well. Just make sure you get the standoffs as well.

Last edited by NitroRacer813; 03-13-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RCforU View Post
Hey,

I'm not sure if you ever found the answer to this or not but I'm currently rebuilding a used RC8T ce and have all my shocks apart right now.

I'll be happy to measure the different lengths for you, I have shocks from RC8, RC8B, RC8T, and RC8T ce. the only problem I have right now is some have 3mm threat and some only have 2 mm threads. that probably won't matter to you as they length is the same.

I'll do full rod, shaft with out ends on it, and full case for ya.
That would be greatly appreciated if you could measure those! I would probably only need the RC8T (and RC8T ce, if they differ). The measurements of the RC8T shocks online seemed odd to me (i.e. says they are like 33mm) so may be nice to get other inputs.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After doing some digging through rctech, the Losi truggy 2.0 front shocks from center to center is 110mm, and the rear shock are 130mm.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Be careful when you install the slightly longer shocks on your Truggy. Your main concern should be to make sure there is no binding when the shocks are in full extension. Make sure to spin the drivetrain while they are in full extension to ensure the drive shafts still move freely. also remember to turn the front wheels left and right while rotating the wheels to make sure they don't bind that way. if they do bind you can still use them you just have to set your bump stops or put internal limiters so that you don't ever experience the over travel.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Awesome, thank you all for the replies! My initial thought was to look at the losi truggy 2.0, but wanted to confirm the Associated RC8T shock lengths to see if there was much difference between the two.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdriv3r View Post
Awesome, thank you all for the replies! My initial thought was to look at the losi truggy 2.0, but wanted to confirm the Associated RC8T shock lengths to see if there was much difference between the two.
You also have to check for the full up travel too. The shocks from hotbodies d8t maybet the d812 might work also they are bomb proof.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Rookie

I can't post links on here yet, I have taken pictures of this all but I'll explain best I can in short form

The size:
AE exploded manual here:.teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/RC8T/Factory_Team/drawing_rc8tftrtr.pdf
on page 2 it says the RC8T shock body is front 32 and rear 38.

if you hold the outer shock body, the measurement is from the bottom where the wrench flat spots end, to the ring that the shock collar Part # 89355 can go up to. (ie: the middle of the body were the fluid sits)

shafts (nothing on the end, just the rod) are 64.5 and 69.8
bodies are (top to bottom) 48.7 and 54.5

I haven't put them all back together yet (8 sets to clean and get ready) I can measure full compress and full extension if you think that will help also

PS none of my measurements included the caps or eyelit on both ends

/cheers
RCforU