Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
1/8 scale buggy tire help >

1/8 scale buggy tire help

1/8 scale buggy tire help

Old 02-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 1/8 scale buggy tire help

looking for info on removing tires from wheels, whats the best way on removing tires and be able to save the wheels to mount new rubber?
thanks
Jeff
Old 02-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Boil them in water until the glue lets go in an old pot or get some acetone, put around a half inch in a seal able container and sit the them in for around 24 hrs. To reuse the rims you will need to scrub them or use a dremil or similar to remove any of the old glue and acetone otherwise the new tire glue may not stick Be careful if you use acetone as the fumes are full on
Dave
Old 02-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff14346 View Post
looking for info on removing tires from wheels, whats the best way on removing tires and be able to save the wheels to mount new rubber?
thanks
Jeff
Cut the tires down the middle and remove the foam.
Get a 5 gallon bucket with airtight lid.
put tires/wheels in bucket.
Pour acetone in bucket, about an inch deep.
seal with lid.
come back in 12-24 hours and peel rubber off wheels.

If you have a little residue on the bead or face, soak them for an hour or 2 in the acetone and it will look like new(ish)

Ive used the boiling method too, but just take a little more "effort." Not as in harder, just you have to do most of the work and still have to re-prep the rims prior to glueing them again. Unless I didn't do it right.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Acetone works well, boiling the wheels will soften them, well atleast it did to mine when trying to dye them black.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Will the boiling method save the tires and foams as well?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 AM
Tech Master

I wont boil any wheels again, creates to much flex I think, might be alright in cold conditions though.
I'm not real sure but boiling wheels/tyres with foams still inside may cause the foam to become damaged from the heat & hot water.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:55 AM
Tech Master

Soak them in acetone in say a old sealed paint tin for at least 48hrs even better 72hrs and all glue will come off the rims, wipe them down with clean acetone, put a sanding drum on your dremel and clean the mounting bead, then your good to go gluing new tyres.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Rookie

If ypu carefully split the tires withput cutting the foam im sure you could slip the foams out and reuse them if they arent looking deteriorated.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I put my tires in a sealed bucket with a quart of acetone in the bottom. I have the tires on a shelf above the acetone. The fumes are enough to unglue them.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Tech Initiate

I have had success with the acetone method, however be aware that the inner fins that reinforce the wheel on the inside tend to bend when the wheel is worn out. So be sure that you thoroughly inspect the wheel before you spend your time trying to save them. Good Luck
Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

great info from everyone!!! Thanks.
gluing tires back on, never done it before, have the bands to install after glue, any "easy ways" of glueing? seen the glue jig from Phin design, $60 shipped. I am a poor man!!!
Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Archinto View Post
If ypu carefully split the tires withput cutting the foam im sure you could slip the foams out and reuse them if they arent looking deteriorated.
I'm trying to save the foams and the tires as they are new. I just boobooed the gluing and didn't prep the wheels properly before gluing. Which resulted in a couple coming unglued coming down the straight at my last race lol

I saw somebody say that acetone fumes alone is enough to get the tires unglued but I don't know if anything will be damaged in the process. Any suggestions?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jeff14346 View Post
great info from everyone!!! Thanks.
gluing tires back on, never done it before, have the bands to install after glue, any "easy ways" of glueing? seen the glue jig from Phin design, $60 shipped. I am a poor man!!!
Thanks
Just my two cents, but I just got the phin jig and it's well worth the money if you can swing it man. No more glue on your fingers lol
Old 02-26-2014, 06:10 AM
Tech Regular

Are you guys kidding? Put them on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 8 minutes per side in the oven. Put on some oven mitts and pop them right off the wheels, foams, tires and wheels will all be in perfect reusable condition. A sharp screwdriver will scrape the residual glue right off the wheels or I like using a dremel with a sanding drum. Try it you'll never try boiling or acetone again!